Drivers MUST Provide Email To Transport Authority

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Drivers MUST Provide Email To Transport Authority

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    martam

That’s the heading in an article in Traffic Law/Costa Rica published February 7, 2013. It goes on:
    “All licensed drivers in Costa Rica must now provide the Consejo de Seguridad Vial (COSEVI) – licensing office – with an email for any and all notifications, in particular for notice of traffic tickets. According to COSEVI, all 1.1 million licensed drivers in the country must meet the requirement, that is the completion of a form that was released yesterday by the Ministerio de Obras Pública y Transportes (MOPT) – Ministry of Public Works and Transport.
    The document will record the full name and identification of the driver (passport number, residency or cedula), the phone number, home address and email.
    Once the form is completed, it can be handed in at any Policia de Tránsito station, Riteve (vehicular inspection), the traffic ticket appeals office, drivers licensing centers or the COSEVI offices in La Uruca.

The deadline for submitting the form is April 26, 2013.

…the MOPT says drivers who do not provide the information cannot argue they did not receive notification, for they will be deemed automatically notified with the publication in La Gaceta, the official government newsletter.”

Has anyone else heard of this? Does it seem reasonable to assume that everyone who drives in Costa Rica has an email address and reads the Gaceta faithfully?

costaricafinca
    Participant

Yes. This bit of news hit the forums a short time ago after appearing on the online newspapers.
    We actually went to pick up a form on Monday, at a [i]Policia de Tránsito[/i] facility since our printer is out of commission, and was told ‘they knew nothing about it’!
    From what we read, if you don’t provide them with an email address, you cannot say that you ‘didn’t get the information, so can’t dispute the charge.

barbara ann

Where do you get the form? /We are renewing our drivers license next week. do they provide you with the form?

martam

[quote=”barbara ann”]
    Where do you get the form? /We are renewing our drivers license next week. do they provide you with the form?[/quote]

The form can be downloaded from the COSEVI website: http://www.csv.go.cr
    Click on “Dirección Electronica Vial” then “Información y Formulario Aqui” then “Descarga Formulario.”

costaricafinca
    Participant

Just request one or print it from your computer. [url=http://www.csv.go.cr/]Consevi[/url]

rosiemaji

It is better to download the form from the website since forms may or may not be available at the places listed. I am not surprised that some government offices knew nothing of the forms. Government agencies in Costa Rica do not communicate well with each other. It was suggested to me to print out 2 copies per driver and fill out and sign both forms. Then turn in one and have the agency stamp the second one as proof that you submitted the form. Our RITVE is due this month so we turned ours in at the inspection station. I can see that expats are going to know about this a lot more that the local population since they are more likely to get this information and to have an email address.

costaricafinca
    Participant

I was advised that they will[u] not[/u] stamp or issue a receipt on demand, but they will email it to the address listed on the form, to prove that they did indeed get the form from you.

waggoner41

[quote=”martam”]
    Has anyone else heard of this? Does it seem reasonable to assume that everyone who drives in Costa Rica has an email address and reads the Gaceta faithfully?

[/quote]

I had not heard of this but my Tico friend has confirmed that [b]it is true[/b]. 😥

I would not have been aware without this post.

Thank you martam 😀

rosiemaji

[quote=”costaricafinca”]I was advised that they will[u] not[/u] stamp or issue a receipt on demand, but they will email it to the address listed on the form, to prove that they did indeed get the form from you.[/quote]

That is good information to know. I will leave our second signed copies with a friend here in Costa Rica just in case we don’t get an email confirmation. We are leaving for a few months in the states next week and we won’t be back until after the due date.

waggoner41

[quote=”rosiemaji”] That is good information to know. I will leave our second signed copies with a friend here in Costa Rica just in case we don’t get an email confirmation. We are leaving for a few months in the states next week and we won’t be back until after the due date.[/quote]

Good idea for all of us to keep a copy of the filled out form just in case.

We do know how things go in Costa Rica.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Just been to Riteve to pick up, fill in and handover the required form. Contrary to what I had been previously told, they did indeed copy and stamp us a receipt.
    As often here in CR, the rules and requirements, often differ, depending on who you are dealing with. 🙄

Well, if this is the law then I will either send them the form by e-mail attachment or they have to wait until I go to RITEVE in August. I am not going to waste time and gas to drive all the way to Liberia to drop of the paper. Why can´t they have people fill in the form when they renew their license ?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.