Driver’s License

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Driver’s License

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    editer

I did a search for Driver’s LIcense and came up with an enjoyable little article by R. MacGorn about his experiences while pursuing his Costa Rica license. I recommend it. But my actual question is this. My Driver’s License expires in January. I’ll be in Costa Rica from October through May. Will I be in trouble for driving on an expired license? Any members have experience with expired licenses?

I’m hoping that my Secretary of State’s office will allow me to take an early test but I don’t know if I can.

rosiemaji

You can usually get your US driver’s license renewed up to 3 months before it is due to expire. At least that is the way it is in Florida. You may have trouble renewing it if it has been expired for 4 months when you return to the states in May. You won’t even be able to legally drive to your test in May.

As far as Costa Rica, you could get in lots of trouble driving on an expired driver’s license. The new schedule of fines that took effect on March 1st of this year is very steep. Something like driving with an expired license could result in as much as a $500 fine. If you are a resident and have been in Costa Rica for more than 3 months, you are supposed to have a Costa Rican driver’s license. Failure to comply could get you the $500 fine mentioned above. If you will be going out of the country during your stay to renew your visa, that 3 month period will start all over again but only if you have a valid US license.

I have been coming to Costa Rica for months at a time for the last 5 years and I have yet to have a traffic cop stop me and ask for my driver’s license. However, since the new fine schedule has taken effect, the traffic police seem to be hell bent on increasing their revenue. They are stopping cars in town (San Isidro, PZ) just to check documents and they seem to be particularly targeting gringos. It could be very risky to be anything other than totally compliant in regards to possessing a valid driver’s license.

editer

Thanks Rosiemaji. I’ve contacted my Sec. of State’s office in Illinois about the possibility of an early test. I also reside in Perez, and I know that the fines are getting ridiculously steep. Like you, I’ve never been asked to show my license. I am close to getting my residency (I hope) and then I can see how relevant R. MacGorn’s article is.

Maybe we’ll run into each other at the feria some Thursday. I’ll be wearing a carnation and carrying a copy of the Chicago Tribune.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Boy! We must live in different universes. In the five years we’ve lived in Costa Rica, I’ll bet I’ve been stopped for a license check a dozen times or more. Maybe I just look suspicious. I dunno . . .

editer

Yeah,looking at your picture, I can understand that.

plasticbrad

Editor.

I renewed my IL DL about 6 months early. If you go in an tell them you will be out of the country they will let you renew.

editer

I’ve just renewed my license via internet. Thank you all for your input.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”editer”]Yeah,looking at your picture, I can understand that.[/quote]

Uh-huh, well it ain’t much, but at least it’s a face I’m not ashamed to show in public.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.