Drivers License for tourists

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Drivers License for tourists

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Charlie

Was wondering if anyone knows for sure if the CR driver’s license is available for non-residents still or has the law been changed to only offer licenses to legal residents.

happygirl

Yes, it is available to non residents, as far as I know. We obtained ours a year ago, no problem.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

When we arrived here in 2005, you were *required* to have a Costa Rica driver’s license if you had been in the country for more than ninety days. I’ve since been told that you *could not* get one until you had already been here at least that long.

happygirl

David; has the law changed within the past year?

alexgil

You need to pay an extra 5,000 colones at the rip off doctors to have your blood type checked as it is now law that you type goes on all new licences. no other changes.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I was wrong above.

Our neighbor, who is here on a two-week visit, just got a Costa Rican driver’s license this week. And he did have to pay the lab for a blood typing.

Charlie

Well got my DL and aside from the cost , 10,000 for the DL and another 14,000 for the “medical exam ” and blood test, it was a fast and friendly experience. Went directly to COSEVI in La Uruca since I wanted to get the whole thing done in 1 day and not make an appointment with BCR . Parking was very ample , the guard was friendly and helpfull, and the waiting was only about 20 minutes for the whole thing . I was impressed , it was faster than back in the USA. Finally something went smooth and painless here . This place is definitely an upgrade over the old building they used in the past.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.