Drive to & from Panama City – Customs?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Drive to & from Panama City – Customs?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    GEEGEE

We are planning to drive to Panama City from Grecia and back.

Is it safe? WE speak a little Spanish to get to the bathroom food and gas.

1. Is there any places that the readers recommend to see and stay B/B, hotels? Or towns to stay away from. Driving hints or route.
    2.Is David a better place to shop and cheaper( appliances) than Golfito?
    3. Is Panama City a better place than David?
    4. We will be out of C.R.for 4-5 days. Can each person bring over the border $1,000 each? What do we need other than receipts to prove our purchases.
    5.We are Americans here for 2-2 1/2 months in C.R.and want to venture Panama in our car.
    We have INS C.Rica insurance will it cover us for those days in Panama? Does the same rules apply as C.Rica dont move your car NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE?

THANKS,GG

wspeed1195

great questions.I have aunts and uncles in panama that are forever wishing us to come and spend time with them.
    these answers will benefit,thanks for asking.

Jim S.

Crossing the border from CR to Panama in a private vehicle is a major hassle, particularly if you don’t speak fluent Spanish and aren’t thoroughly familiar with all of the documentation and requirements.

Among other things, before you travel, you must go to the Registro Nacional here in Costa Rica and obtain a certificate proving your ownership of the vehicle. You can’t take your car across the border without it. Also, your Costa Rican insurance isn’t valid in Panama. You’re required to purchase short-term insurance at the border, but it’s not expensive.

I recommend travelling and crossing the border by bus. If you want a car to travel around in Panama, rent one in David.

GEEGEE

[quote=”Jim S.”]Crossing the border from CR to Panama in a private vehicle is a major hassle, particularly if you don’t speak fluent Spanish and aren’t thoroughly familiar with all of the documentation and requirements.

Among other things, before you travel, you must go to the Registro Nacional here in Costa Rica and obtain a certificate proving your ownership of the vehicle. You can’t take your car across the border without it. Also, your Costa Rican insurance isn’t valid in Panama. You’re required to purchase short-term insurance at the border, but it’s not expensive.

I recommend travelling and crossing the border by bus. If you want a car to travel around in Panama, rent one in David.[/quote]

Jim,
    Thank you for your reply. Do you know how much it is for the Registro Certification. We have a friend that goes and gets these documents for $20.00 for the day for us. As we assume it is a whole day process. We just spoke to our insurance guy at INS and he said,”WE go to INS and get a paper saying we are going to PANAMA FOR A WEEK AND THEY GIVE
    US A CERTIFICATION AND WE SHOW IT AT THE BORDER.”
    Now I dont know if that is true or not, we still can pay at the border. Is David a nice place to stay once we get there?
    WE want to go on in to Panama City also and on the way back
    bring a TV and some other things. IS the border a problem
    for that? WE have C.R. drivers license and our passport, other than the other things you mention is there any thing
    else we need?

Places to shop at Davids, or place to see or stay.
    IS IT SAFE IN MOST AREAS? WITH THE SAME CAUTION AS ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD?

THANKS

Jim S.

I don’t remember the cost of the Registro certificate but it isn’t expensive and the process isn’t complicated or time-consuming. I was required to buy insurance at the border despite having INS insurance.

There are plenty of hotels in David in every price range. No advance reservation is necessary. Just look around once you arrive. If you’re on a budget, try Hotel Castilla or Puerta Del Sol, both in the range of $30-$40 per night for clean, basic accomodations. The Gran Nacional is the largest, best known hotel in David but is over-priced unless you get a promotional rate. There a numerous other options.

Take dollars with you and/or use your Visa/Mastercard. Don’t try to exchange colones at the border or in David. It’s a hassle and you’ll get a bad exchange rate.

There are no serious concerns about personal safety. In general, Panama is safer than Costa Rica. Just exercise normal caution. Shops are everywhere and prices are much lower on most items than in Costa Rica. Also, shopping at the frontier is good, on both sides of the border. There’s no problem bringing purchases across the border, although you’ll probably have to use your customs exemtion for the TV. There’s no special paperwork, just be sure you have the original receipt. The amount of the exemption is $500 per person every six months. It doesn’t matter if you are a resident or not. The CR customs officials will stamp your passport to indicate that you’ve used your exemtion. It can’t be prorated, so if your TV costs over $500 you can’t exempt it and will have to pay the customs duty. Don’t declare any of your small purchases, no matter the total value of your purchases. They won’t check them.

Panama City is quite a drive from David, about 200 miles, but the highway is very good and the speed limit fairly high (110 kph?). Another excursion from David is a day trip to Boquete, which is a nice, small mountain town popular with ex-pats and tourists.

Your best route from Grecia will be the Pacific coast highway – towards Jaco, Quepos, etc. There may still be ongoing construction north of Dominical. I’m not sure. During my last trip about a year ago it didn’t slow us down much. However, the section of highway south of Dominical (Palmar Norte) was in very bad shape. I don’t know if it’s been repaired. If not, drive with extreme caution or the potholes will destroy your car.

Be sure to take a cell phone with you in case you do have trouble on the road. Be aware that your INS insurance includes towing.

Enjoy your trip!

GEEGEE

[quote=”Jim S.”]I don’t remember the cost of the Registro certificate but it isn’t expensive and the process isn’t complicated or time-consuming. I was required to buy insurance at the border despite having INS insurance.

There are plenty of hotels in David in every price range. No advance reservation is necessary. Just look around once you arrive. If you’re on a budget, try Hotel Castilla or Puerta Del Sol, both in the range of $30-$40 per night for clean, basic accomodations. The Gran Nacional is the largest, best known hotel in David but is over-priced unless you get a promotional rate. There a numerous other options.

Take dollars with you and/or use your Visa/Mastercard. Don’t try to exchange colones at the border or in David. It’s a hassle and you’ll get a bad exchange rate.

There are no serious concerns about personal safety. In general, Panama is safer than Costa Rica. Just exercise normal caution. Shops are everywhere and prices are much lower on most items than in Costa Rica. Also, shopping at the frontier is good, on both sides of the border. There’s no problem bringing purchases across the border, although you’ll probably have to use your customs exemtion for the TV. There’s no special paperwork, just be sure you have the original receipt. The amount of the exemption is $500 per person every six months. It doesn’t matter if you are a resident or not. The CR customs officials will stamp your passport to indicate that you’ve used your exemtion. It can’t be prorated, so if your TV costs over $500 you can’t exempt it and will have to pay the customs duty. Don’t declare any of your small purchases, no matter the total value of your purchases. They won’t check them.

Panama City is quite a drive from David, about 200 miles, but the highway is very good and the speed limit fairly high (110 kph?). Another excursion from David is a day trip to Boquete, which is a nice, small mountain town popular with ex-pats and tourists.

Your best route from Grecia will be the Pacific coast highway – towards Jaco, Quepos, etc. There may still be ongoing construction north of Dominical. I’m not sure. During my last trip about a year ago it didn’t slow us down much. However, the section of highway south of Dominical (Palmar Norte) was in very bad shape. I don’t know if it’s been repaired. If not, drive with extreme caution or the potholes will destroy your car.

Be sure to take a cell phone with you in case you do have trouble on the road. Be aware that your INS insurance includes towing.

Enjoy your trip![/quote]

Dear Jim,

Yes , we went to Golfito and the road is repaired. We did not purchase anything, because

when we got there it was closed for some unknown holiday. So we thought we would

try our luck in David and make a little journey of it. 🙂

Jim all you information was great.. very good information. Is there anything you would

like for me to report back to you once we go?

You have been a great help, thanks for you time.

GeeGee

Pura Vida

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.