Donating Blood in San Jose area

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Donating Blood in San Jose area

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    OTTFOG

I donate blood regularly here in the US and would like to continue doing so after we move to Costa Rica. Is there a blood bank in San Jose? Does anyone in the forum have experience safely donating blood in Costa Rica? Thanks for your input…
    Jerry

rebaragon

Hi OTTFOG, My family in CR has donated blood at some of the major hospitals (Calderon, San Juan de Dios & Clinica Biblica) on various ocassions…I would imagine that the hospitals would also know where else you could donate blood if they didn’t have any need for it…Rebeca

dehaaij

My wife is Tica and some of her friends have needed blood in the past from the state run hospitals. Usually, there is not enough blood for voluntary and/or planned operations. either that or, they try to maintain the same amount in the bank at all times. So the hospital encourages the patient (or friends and relatives) to bring people in to donate what the patient will be requiring or has already taken. There is usually a set time and place for this and you donate “in the name of that patient” so that their debt (this is sounding harsher than reality) is paid off. In a way, it’s makes one feel better knowing that they are doing a good thing for a loved one and also makes more people aware of the process.

I assume you can donate voluntarily on a regular basis too.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.