Domestic Help

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Domestic Help

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jrockwell

I have bought a villa that has a maid twice a week and a pool boy 4 times per week. Do these people qualify for social security, vacations etc.?

costaricafinca
    Participant

Yes. Plus the annual Christmas bonus.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I would suggest you speak with an attorney, Costa Rica’s Labor Laws are draconian and normally very much in favor of the employee and not the employer plus, I would imagine that you should have some sort of an employment contract to protect yourself and your property

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostRica.com

mediatica

You should also have a policy through INS for “riesgo” for workers. I have one and it’s inexpensive but protects you if your employees get hurt on your property. Minimum wage for a maid (if a full-time employee) is 185,000 colones per month or roughly $337 per month plus the mandatory CAJA (24% from the employer and 9% from the employee of their gross salary) and Christmas bonus (Aguinaldo) equal to one months salary. I am not sure how CAJA works where hourly wages are concerned. Also remember the ‘severance pay’. For every year an employee works they are eligible for one months salary for up to 7 years (that is the cut off I believe). You can pay this also at years end or when they quit or if they get fired.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.