Dogs travelling to Panama/CR via Freighter?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Dogs travelling to Panama/CR via Freighter?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    DENISE

this is so unbelievable…..i have just returned from CR and talked with a neighbor who brought her 2 Tibetan Terriers via luggage….she paid $100 for each crate….picked up the crates from the large baggage area….where the surfboards are, and then went to customs….no problem at all….when the got out front of hotel, took dogs to grass area to relieve themselves…..pura vida
    she did a lot of research after hearing so many horrible tales,,,then she called the US embassy and was told the correct info….
    the only restriction seems to be the weather temp when u land…the airlines can tell u the info on that

maravilla

That’s how it should be. And that’s how it was when we came down last year and there were other dogs in crates who had no problem whatsoever getting through customs. The agent barely looked at our dog, who was on a leash, and only glanced at the rabies certificate which I had in a clear plastic folder. He didn’t even take the paperwork out to look at it. Wish me luck, kids, because I’m schlepping my new dog down to CR this morning. If all goes well, he’ll have that second Valium leftover to take on the trip home in April, otherwise, I may have to take it to survive dealing with inept people who keep telling us all the wrong info. One reservation agent told me yesterday I wasn’t getting on the plane without an import permit. We’ll see. I have printed out all the info from the USDA and Dr. Molina. This might be the most stressful part of traveling with our furry children.

drellen

I moved here 2 years ago with 2 dogs. I live in the southern zone of Costa Rica south of Uvita in a little town called Ojochal. While I do not like having my dogs go under the plane they did have to endure that the first year we went back and forth.
    A few points.
    1. the dogs will MOST likely be fine and I understand it is the MOST likely part you don’t like. Freight would take a long time I think. Better just a few uncomfortable hours and then they are back with you.
    2. While I have traveled on many airlines the one I always chose after a few trips was Martin Air. The dogs came out of there the least traumatized. When I flew American I was horrified with the conditions of my dogs. I have non spillable water bowls and they were obviously turned over. So the trip down below was rougher then mine up top. If money isn’t an issue fly to Miami and go Martin Air. This is a good time of year since the airlines won’t fly the dogs if it is over 85 degree’s anywhere they land in route.
    3. I have met a number of people that have traveled from Canada to here without any trouble. I suppose there is something to not attracting any problems in Mexico. However if you think you will you probably will. Personally I have traveled everywhere in Central America without incident and I don’t speak Spanish very well.
    I know this is a long reply I hope it helps

Edited on Jan 16, 2008 11:06

maravilla

The dog and i made it just fine. there was no problem with american airlines either; in fact the captain on each leg of the flight always came back in the cabin to tell me that my dog had been loaded into cargo and was okay. even going through customs in sjo was a bree4ze. i had someone get one of those big carts to hold the dog crate, two bins, and two pieces of luggage. customs didn´t even inspec the dog and only glanced at the paperwork and then writing something in a book. i wish i hadn´t fretted so much!

rf2cr
    Participant

Maravilla,

Thanks for the update, it relieves our minds somewhat, until we are on the ground and have the girls in our possession again I am going to do a lot of fretting. Just cannot help worrying. Did you have the USDA notarize the rabies and health certificates? The Embassy information says nothing about that.

Regards

maravilla

the usda stamps both the international health certificate and the rabies certificate. i don`t know if that is a notarization or not, but they know what to do and everything passed muster. my dog loves it down here, as do i!!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.