Dogs in and out of Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Dogs in and out of Costa Rica

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    maravilla

In january we flew our 20-pound mutt to CR and all that was required was a USDA health certificate with the rabies information on it. when we landed in San Jose, I handed that packet of paperwork to the customs agent, he scanned it quickly, handed it back to me and waved us through. he didn’t inspect the dog, I didn’t need to pay a vet to be at the airport, I didnt need a stamp from the CR consulate. Yesterday we flew from San Jose to Atlanta and neither the airlines nor TSA required any documentation whatsoever for the dog (which travels free in the cabin with us without having to be in a crate or carrier). When we arrived in Atlanta, we had to go to a special line where a customs agent wanted to see the rabies certificate that had been issued two months prior. he asked me if i had any dog food and i said yes, but that it had originally come from the States. when he saw that our final destination was Denver, he said, ‘well, you will probably need that dog food, so you can keep it’ (usually they will not allow you to bring dog food into the States for some reason). I fretted for months about the process of bringing that dog with us and taking him back out of Costa rica, but nothing could have been easier.

wmaes47

Welcome home…

I flew from Orlando to Denver last week. I arrived at the airport with a large bag of Florida oranges. They scanned the bag and passed it through. These oranges were full of fluids. I could have had them pumped full of gas or LSD and they would not have cared.

That was a diversion for TSA as I was carrying a stomach bug that would have closed the whole airport for a month.

Just joking with ya…

X-Squeeze me…
    Bill Maes

Peg

They probably let you keep the dogfood, because of the huge pet food recall here. About 48 brands of dog food and almost the same amount of cat food were recalled, because they contained rat poisoning. Menu Foods is the company that packaged the food, you can find the list of foods on their web site. Many pets have gotten very sick, and a lot have died. It causes kidney failure. I don’t know if this news has reached CR yet.

maravilla

When I saw the news about this on AOL, I gave it to everyone I knew down there because they carry the same brands in Costa Rica. one of my neighbor lost a dog to very mysterious circumstances, which, when we read the article,realized that it could’ve been the dog food that caused the death. I only feed my dog people food and a high-end organic brand called Timberwolf.

rf2cr
    Participant

Found the following information concerning the recall, hope it is helpful:

Home
    Recall Information
    Press Release
    Cat Product Information
    Dog Product Information
    FAQ’s for Consumers

Recalled Dog Product Information
    Recall Information 1-866-895-2708
    Variety or Multi-Packs:

If you are in possession of a variety or multi-pack, please be sure to check the individual can or pouch rather than relying solely on the date coding on the side of the carton.

Americas Choice, Preferred Pets
    Authority
    Award
    Best Choice
    Big Bet
    Big Red
    Bloom
    Cadillac
    Companion
    Demoulas Market Basket
    Eukanuba
    Food Lion
    Giant Companion
    Great Choice
    Hannaford
    Hill Country Fare
    Hy-Vee
    Iams
    Laura Lynn
    Loving Meals
    Meijers Main Choice
    Mighty Dog Pouch
    Mixables
    Nutriplan
    Nutro Max
    Nutro Natural Choice
    Nutro Ultra
    Nutro
    Ol’Roy Canada
    Ol’Roy US
    Paws
    Pet Essentials
    Pet Pride – Good n Meaty
    Presidents Choice
    Price Chopper
    Priority Canada
    Priority US
    Publix
    Roche Brothers
    Save-A-Lot Choice Morsels
    Schnucks
    Shep Dog
    Springsfield Prize
    Sprout
    Stater Brothers
    Stop & Shop Companion
    Tops Companion
    Wegmans Bruiser
    Weis Total Pet
    Western Family US
    White Rose
    Winn Dixie
    Your Pet

Menu Foods Income Fund
    8 Falconer Drive
    Streetsville, ON
    Canada L5N 1B1

© Copyright 2006, Menu Foods Income Fund, All Rights Reserved.
    Best viewed using Internet Explorer.

dsullivan

Hi,
    I was so glad to hear that your experience taking your dog with you to CR was a positive one. I have been concerned about that because I have two dogs who will be coming with us when we move down. It won’t be for another year or so, but still, it’s worrysome for me. Not just all the regulations and paperwork, but how the dogs will handle the trip. They’re larger boys, one’s a Basset and the other one is part Basset/part German Shepherd. (Yeah…try to picture that!) They’re both short, but stout! So they’d be contained in whatever part of the plane they put animals…which is what concerns me…is it too hot, too cold, etc. Yours was different since you were allowed to have it on board with you.

Anyway, was happy for you that it went so well. Hope it goes that well for us.

dsullivan

Bill Maes…you are a funny man! I got a good laugh out of your post. Thanks for the smiles.
    Diane

Peg

If your dogs are flying in cargo, make sure you travel when the temperature does not exceed 85 degrees at any location on your itinerary, snub nose dogs it’s 75 degrees. Also it can not be lower than 45 degrees at any location on the way.

maravilla

Your dogs must look as comical as mine — a Scottie and Dachschund mix! He was the best passenger on the plane — they even gave him his own seat and asked me if he wanted an in-flight meal. He’s so funny looking that even the US Customs agents laughed when they saw him!

dsullivan

Oh Gosh! I can only imagine. Too bad we can’t include pictures…would love to see him. Hard to imagine what he looks like. I bet he’s adorable! I just love animals…especially dogs. Buddy, the Basset/Ger.Shepherd mix, is scary looking to some people because he has the look of a Ger.Shep. but is short. Big chest, face like a shep. and coloring…but squatty legs and long floppy ears. He’s just a “gentle Ben” and always has been. Good watch dog because he scares people off with his “Ger.Shep. bark” if they approach me. But if they said “Hi Doggy”, he’d lick their hands. He’s too sweet for his own good. The Basset (Mikey) is a little more tempermental, but cute as a bug.

Diane

maravilla

OMG! I’ve got to see a picture of your dog! I can’t stop laughing thinking about what he must look like with that shepherd/bassett hound mix! He must look like a cartoon character. I know there is a place on this site to post photos, but I can’t remember where it is.

dsullivan

Well, if we figure it out, (where to post photos, that is)I’d love to see your dog, too! He just sounds adorable. Most people think Buddy is just weird looking…but we love him to bits. You know how it is…they become a part of the family. Let me know if you find out how to send photos and I’ll download a pic of my two characters.

gg

Maravilla,
    Which airlines did you travel with? I was looking today and it seemed as though most won’t let you put your pet in-cabin. I will be flying out of Miami and cannot bear the thought of putting mine in cargo. Thanks for the help.
    Gee gee

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.