Dog exit tax?????

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Dog exit tax?????

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rf2cr
    Participant

Just heard that a friend taking a street dog back to the US had to pay a $175.00 exit tax before boarding in San Jose. Anyone know the truth of this – also does it apply to dogs brought in from the US?

maravilla

i have not heard about the exit tax from SJO to US, but we did not pay any fees to brings out dogs into CR other than the requisite fees to the USDA, vet, etc.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”Rf2cr”]Just heard that a friend taking a street dog back to the US had to pay a $175.00 exit tax before boarding in San Jose. Anyone know the truth of this – also does it apply to dogs brought in from the US?[/quote]

Two questions: First, where did you hear this?

Second, how can the tax collector determine whether a dog bound for the U.S. is a “street” dog, a dog bred in Costa Rica, or a dog that was imported from abroad?

maravilla

more importantly, did the dog go ON the plane or was it checked luggage. if it was luggage then of course there is a charge by the airlines.

rf2cr
    Participant

Sorry, been offline a couple of days. The dog was being shipped back to the US, the story came to me via someone who was with the shipper at the airport and the tax was paid at the same desk as the human exit tax was paid.

Have friends taking a couple of dogs back to US next month and hoped to save them last minute hassels and upset of having to pay a hefty tax they knew nothing about.

jreeves

$175 is what American Airlines charges us to fly our dog as checked baggage. It is $125 for our cat to fly as a carry-on item. I’m wondering if they’re confusing the airline charge with an exit tax, though that would be paid at the check-in counter & not at the exit tax counter. We’ve never paid anything to leave CR with our animals besides the normal paperwork fees the vet handles for us, but we haven’t left CR with our animals in over a year so maybe something has changed????

Jessica

rf2cr
    Participant

Did what I should have done in the beginning – tracked down the individual travelling with the dog – you are right the $175 was the airlines charge, there was an $11 exit tax. Sorry I wasted your time with a stupid question.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.