Dog back to US for visit and then return?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Dog back to US for visit and then return?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    sueandchris

Wondering if anyone has taken their dog FROM Costa Rica back to the States for a short visit. This assumes a dog (such as our “Tico Terrier) small enough to go with in the cabin. My vet here in Atenas will provide the correct paperwork to get IN to the States, but would I have to go thru all the rigamarole after just two weeks to come BACK into Costa Rica???

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The rigamarole is universal and applies in all directions, Sue. What’s more, you would need to be absolutely certain that two weeks in the U.S. would be time enough to get all the necessary paperwork together to bring your dog back to Costa Rica.

For instance, would Costa Rica willingly accept a rabies vaccination administered by a Costa Rican vet? Seems like they would, but who knows? And you’d still have to have an International Health Certificate completed by a U.S. vet and blessed by the USDA not more than ten days before your return to Costa Rica.

It might be less trouble to just hire the little guy a housesitter.

maravilla

you will need another usda health certificate, so the minute you land you will be looking at taking the dog to the vet, then getting the paperwork certified at the usda office nearest you (assuming there is one, in which case you will be fed exing the paperwork). there is one type of rabies vac that costa rica doesn’t honor and it’s the three-year vac — so if that is what your dog got here, you may have to get him vac’d again but with only two weeks that is not enough time because the vac has to be administered at least 30 days before entry to costa rica. one of my dogs had the 3 year vac and costa rica could’ve denied him entry so i had to have another one-year vac which made the cowdog very very sick. a pet sitter would be less expensive by the time you are done, not to mention all the time and hassle.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.