Do you need to have a return ticket for the airlines if you have your Temporary Resident Dimex card?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Do you need to have a return ticket for the airlines if you have your Temporary Resident Dimex card?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I tried the search but couldn’t find an up to date answer. We just got our Temp Residency Dimex Cards today. We are scheduled for our last trip from the US to Costa Rica in January. Has anyone had a recent experience where the airlines need proof of exiting Costa Rica or the need for a return ticket? Reason we ask is our attorney was unsure the stance of the airlines.

Thanks in advance.

rosiemaji

No, you do not. They will ask to see your return ticket at the airport but when you show them your Temporary Residency Dimex Card they will ask no more because you are now a resident of Costa Rica. As long as the Residency card is not expired, you are good to go with only a one way ticket. Last year I came to Costa Rica with only a one way ticket as I had not purchased the return one yet and I had no problems after I showed them my Temporary Residency card.

Thanks for the info.

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”rosiemaji”]No, you do not. They will ask to see your return ticket at the airport but when you show them your Temporary Residency Dimex Card they will ask no more because you are now a resident of Costa Rica. As long as the Residency card is not expired, you are good to go with only a one way ticket. Last year I came to Costa Rica with only a one way ticket as I had not purchased the return one yet and I had no problems after I showed them my Temporary Residency card.[/quote]

As I have reported before, I have been traveling on one way tickets for over two years by showing my “Expediate” document – although, by the way, no where on that document do the words “Costa Rica” appear!

Sailor

In terms of airline return tickets, we will also be in a similar situation, in the near future. We plan on having our CR attorney (she once worked for Costa Rican Immigration)process our application for legal residency in April 2014. We plan on staying in Costa Rica, a month during that time. We plan on returning to the U.S. May 2014, and staying in the U.S. until our May 2015 permanent relocation to Costa Rica. Am I safe in assuming that we should acquire the residency card, during the year we are back in the U.S.? Is the Temp Residency the receipt you obtain when you have filed for permanent residency?

costaricafinca
    Participant

No, you are required to be in temporary resident status for 3 years [b]before[/b] you can even apply for permanent status, which can then take up to another year.
    You [b]should[/b] have the temporary resident [i]expediente[/i] approval by your expected move…and then can arrange with immigration, to pick up your [i]cedula[/i] when back in CR as then you will need to be photographed and fingerprinted, again, before you are given a [b]cedula[/b]

You seem to uncertain about how this works so please consider reading the info on this website, [url=http://www.residencyincostarica.com/residency.html]Residencyincostarica[/url]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.