Do You Like This New format?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Do You Like This New format?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    costaricafinca
    Participant

Just thought I would ask what others think of this new way to display posts?

I really like the way it was before and how easy it was to find ‘updates’ and am sorry it has been changed.

Andrew
    Keymaster

VIP Members can – if they wish – create their own member profile which will allow them to get to know each other…

So it will be much easier for our VIP Members to contact one another which is just one of the things that we have been asked for…

The idea is that new VIP Members can begin making friends and other connections before they even arrive in Costa Rica.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Cinfel

I really like it. And if I am not mistaken a person can still tell if there is something new added to a topic by looking for the red “icon” on the right side of the page. Looks great to me with not nearly as much scrolling to do. Way to go Scott!

Alfred

It will take some getting used to, but overall, a very good move. This is more like standard forum form. Good job, Scott. Being able to make friends is the big plus for many.

Andrew
    Keymaster

If you go to [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/module_index.cfm ] you’ll see how easy it is to upload your photographs if you wish and you choose how much information you want to share with others, about you, your favorite websites, your favorite sayings and you can even include your social network pages.

Your profile photograph will appear on the left of your Discussion Forum posting as mine does here …

And by popular demand, we have upgraded the new Discussion Forum so that you can contact people – privately and confidentially. (You’ll need to click on your profile that it’s OK for people to email you and then the word ’email’ will appear at the bottom of your Discussion Forum postings…

Scott Oiver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

maravilla

i like the format, even though i am resistant to change most of the time. this is easier to see new messages without having to scroll down page and page. i also like the new contact features. guess that will save you some time and effort — you won’t have to be the intermediary anymore. goood job.

grb1063

Much more user friendly. A mi me gusta.

*Lotus

[quote=”grb1063″]Much more user friendly. A mi me gusta.[/quote]

I also think it is much superior to the old format. New technology always takes some time to get used to CostaFinca, give it some time. 🙂

guru

Change. . . I operate several of my own forums and have been using the same ancient software and display format for over 10 years. I am in the throngs of updating them and have polled members and there is always resistance to change. I have yet to see a forum system that I really like including some of our own trial designs. ..

I DO congratulate Scott on updating all the old posts to the new system. That is a costly bit of work.

1) Like all change it will take getting used to. I may use it more, or less, the future will see.

2) Like most packaged and open source systems it will have good features as well as bad (especially in default configurations)

3) The edit system has a SAVE, PREVIEW but no EXIT or “RETURN without POSTING” button. . . This is like Microsnot prompts “Continue OR go ahead”. . .

4) The subscribe and send email selections should always be OFF by default, never ON.

5) I do not like wasted screen space even though many of us now have huge wide format high definition monitors many other do not. The problem is designing spaces around avatars mixed with name text creating wide unused zones.

6) Default edit setups typically use these narrow little windows which I despise. It is the airline seat complex. When the message editing is on a completely seperate page it should take advantage of the space. I like “elbow” room.

7) I also like icons that make sense OR text buttons that always do. The little blobs of color are like bits of ground up trash on the floor or indecipherable graffiti.

8 ) A design error: The link text on the dark blue bars is not styled correctly and is small blue text on the blue background. . .

. . . . .

As I noted. I’m in the forum business and its hard to design such that everyone is happy. And sadly, even though I AM a designer of such I have not seen a solution that I liked even my own. So you can take my criticism above for what its worth.

rfmark

I really like the addition to create your own member profile which will allow members to get to know each other… Just takes time to get use to the new format.:D

costaricafinca
    Participant

I don’t totally ‘not like it’ but just certain features.
    I like to read or go back to certain peoples posts, and it was easier to find before. Now, one/I would have to check out every ‘topic’ to try and find what I had read before, but not necessarily in the ‘same posting’ or even a similar vein, so it is now much simpler that a ‘search’ feature has been added.
    Another thing I would like to have seen changed, was [b]all the posts be displayed[/b] in the thread I am replying to, instead of having to open up a new page to find different peoples point of view that I can ‘copy and paste’ into my response, although now with the ‘reply with quote’ option I can respond to a particular person reply.
    This site and others like will never please everyone, no matter how many people ‘give’ suggestions that would be impossible to achieve.

micololo

I was writing in my personal discription when I forgot that here on this forum you’ll be cut off after a certain time. I do use 2 other forums and I can write without being cut off. It would be a pleasure for me to participate but not this time. IT’ ll be a [b]BIG[/b] improvement if it would be possible to write without being cut off while typing.

I like the format but hade to be cut off.
    Yes I know you can write on another page and copy it here but I don’t like to work this way.

fredo

It could be I’m just overlooking how, but it seems that I cannot easily figure out just how many new answers to a topic there are and whom they are from. That is without actually opening the topic and looking.

That was one feature of the old setup that I definitely liked.

redelvis

These threads are much easier to read and follow now IMHO.

Tim

kimball

There needs to be more topics on the first page.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.