Do Landlords perform Credit Checks?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Do Landlords perform Credit Checks?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bogino
    Participant

Just dawned on me but is it customary in CR for a Landlord to conduct credit checks on potential renters? Is there a system to support that in CR?

costaricafinca
    Participant

No, this isn’t usually done.
    And, sorry to say, a landlord will often have a very hard battle to evict a tenant from his property.

[quote=”costaricafinca”]No, this isn’t usually done.
    And, sorry to say, a landlord will often have a very hard battle to evict a tenant from his property.[/quote]

I can find nothing written in the rental law that would require such thing.

It is not such a hard battle any more, there were just some changes that will make the process short, 3 months instead of a year or more..

http://www.nacion.com/archivo/Diputados-avanzan-plan-agilizar-desahucios_0_1320867953.html

costaricafinca
    Participant

Actually the time frame quoted, is three (3) years, which is totally unacceptable.
    Although I wonder if it [i]really will[/i] be reduced to 3 months.

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Actually the time frame quoted, is three (3) years, which is totally unacceptable.
    Although I wonder if it [i]really will[/i] be reduced to 3 months.[/quote]

The 3 year period is the minimum term for a rental commitment. Even if at the beginning the landlord and the renter agree on 1 year and this is written in the rental contract, the renter can change his mind and stay for 3 years, if he pays the rent up to date. If the renter is behind with his payments, the landlord can start the eviction process. This process used to take a long time, a year or more, because it was handled in the court and the renter had the right to appeal etc. etc.
    I had an incident myself years ago, renting a house with a 3 year contract and always paying my rent up to date. After 10 months a guy walked up the driveway and told me that he just bought this house and asked me when I was going to move 😯 he said that the landlord/seller had told him that I was informed and agreed to move immediately, which was not true. So I called the landlord, sent her a copy of the rental law, and told her that I have no problem moving once I find a similar house at a similar price, plus she had to pay me back what I had invested in remodel (what she did, not without trowing one fit after the other…)

costaricafinca
    Participant

[url=http://qcostarica.com/edition/tenant-laws-in-costa-rica-are-pro-tenant/]Updated information [/url] regarding the eviction of a tenant for for non-payment of rent. At least this is how it is [i]supposed[/i] to happen 🙄

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.