Diverse eco systems are good for your health

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Diverse eco systems are good for your health

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sprite

It sounds pretty self evident. A recent article by Professor David Suzuki states that “the more diverse and vibrant an eco system is, the healthier it is for us”. That might explain why Costa Ricans are one of the happiest and healthiest people on the planet. I wonder how long it takes for expats to permanently absorb the benefits of living in perhaps the most diverse and vibrant eco systems on the planet which is Costa Rica. All I know so far, is that I get a smile on my face as soon as the plane touches down at Juan Santamaria and it stays there long after I have returned to Miami.

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/about_us/Dr_David_Suzuki/Article_Archives/weekly08310701.asp
    http://www.davidsuzuki.org/about_us/Dr_David_Suzuki/Article_Archives/weekly08310701.asp

Edited on Nov 13, 2007 10:38

Imxploring
    Participant

Just spend some time in CR and make some friends (expats) that are there fulltime and you can see the improvements in health! Although I’m only able to visit for a week or two at a time I feel the improvements my own health. But more amazing is the folks that I know that are there fulltime! The first change is they all lose weight! It always amazes to me to see them, lots of fresh fruit, so much less processed foods, no fast food! Dropping the pounds, one of the best ways to improve your health! They’re all so much more relaxed. It’s the diet and the lifestyle. I find the daylight schedule has a lot to do with it also… the whole “early to bed, early to raise” thing.

sprite

Yeah, the bio rhythm thing is interesting. 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of dark all year round. I am always a little startled when I see twilight a little after 5 PM but this has to be an additional good thing for us. Regular waking and sleeping hours and no friggin daylight savings time crap either should make for a more balanced daily rhythm.

rebaragon

The higher the biodiversity anywhere, the more fragile the dynamic balance while each organism is busy relating and adapting to the others so that not one is terribly more powerful than the others. Interesting concept we humans could learn from. E.O. Wilson which is quoted in this article has actually spent much time in Costa Rica and is a must read if you want to know about CR ecology and ecological relationships. His concept of biophilia (“idea that humans have an innate kinship with other living things”) is an important human ecological theory, but this is not an immediate process. This also means that when a NEW organism (such as an expat), arrives in CR (a totally new ecosystem foreign to their evolutionary trajectory) his or her body will need time to adapt, adjust and enter the balance of this new ecosystem. This may mean that your body may react with allergies for a bit because it is in fact facing unknown agents for the first time and is part of the adjustment process (including many items others have mentioned before me–like changing sleeping & eating habits), but the magnificent weather, beautiful scenery and friendly environment will only aid the process along as there is a tremendous health value in also just being happy and being surrounded by nature, no matter where you happen to live.

You might also be surprised to know that in spite of CR and most tropical area’s high indices of biodiversity regarding most life zones/biotopes, wetlands/swamps areas and the like have much higher indices of biodiversity in northern climates than they do in tropical ones (read Dr. Crow’s comparison research in CR, Amazon Basin areas and northern climate wetlands–you can find his books at InBio). I was part of the CR university students that helped him with his research and we were all quite stunned at the findings–The world is full of wonderful relationships and surprises…As far as nature goes, the adage is adjust/adapt or die–I’m glad we humans have great abilities to adjust and benefit in the long run 🙂 Pura Vida…

sprite

Interesting stuff. I am in my late 50’s and I guess what you would call an old dog. New tricks aren’t supposes to be a forte for old dogs but I am anxious to get started in adapting down there. I have some allergies here in Florida…winter allergies. My visits to CR are short and not enough time to see if anything might develop. I have read other posts here about allergies and it seems like a mixed conclusion. Some get worse when they move here, some improve.

Another bit of good news, though…on my last visit in Palmares, I stopped into a pharmacy and bought a prescription type allergy medication without a prescription…and about one third the cost. What a concept! No need to see a doctor for every little thing!

rebaragon

I know Sprite, I love that about CR too! If any allergy should arise, taking good care of yourself and your health (I’m sure you know the drill good food, sleep well and exercise) should help you get over it within the year. In the meantime, there are a lot of allopathic and naturapathic options offered even by the medical doctors of CR. Pura Vida!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.