Dish TV

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Dish TV

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    pebo1

Does anyone use Dish TV in CR? I believe there is a company called SunSat that provides this service.

Appreciate any info thanks—–Peter

colleen.1

Sky (out of Mexico)provide a very good service with a variety of channels, including BBC. Installation service is excellent. Their top-choices ‘UNIVERSAL’ subscription costs only $54.90 per month. Compared to the local cable service ‘Supercable’ Sky’s choice’s are a 100 percent improvement.

VictoriaLST

We have a dish – but not installed yet. In the interim, we are using Netflix and USTVNow.com. USTVNow is not the best quality, but we don’t watch a lot of TV so it is ok for now and can be upgraded. At least hubby gets his US football…whoopie.

gkbiz

[quote=”colleen.1″]Sky (out of Mexico)provide a very good service with a variety of channels, including BBC. Installation service is excellent. Their top-choices ‘UNIVERSAL’ subscription costs only $54.90 per month. Compared to the local cable service ‘Supercable’ Sky’s choice’s are a 100 percent improvement.[/quote]
    What happens to SKY when it is rainy, stormy or cloudy? Are there install and equipment fees? Is there a minimum time for your contract with them? Can you cancel or suspend? Where can one get more info in English?
    Thank you

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Having dealt with the others, I can tell you that if it is DishNetwork you want, Don Paul (Dr. Dish) is the class act among the options here. You can reach him via e-mail at:

stardish1@yahoo.com

or

donald@88drdish.com

(Maybe address your e-mail to both.)

The programming offerings of DishNetwork are far superior to what Sky TV offers, but both of them are subject to “rain-outs” when the weather’s bad.

An alternative worth considering, if you have reasonably fast and reliable Internet access, is to buy a SlingBox from Amazon.com or BestBuy.com.

To use a Slingbox, you install it in the home of someone you know who has dish or cable TV service in the U.S. The Slingbox attaches to their incoming signal source (coax cable, that is) and to their Internet service and sends everything that comes in on their cable to you over the Internet.

Their service is not affected. The SlingBox passes all the incoming programs on to their TV.

You get a program guide just as if you were watching TV in their living room. If your computer here can output to a television set, you can watch TV that way.

Other than the initial cost of the SlingBox (you can look it up), there is no ongoing cost for this service. The folks up north pay for their TV service just as they always have.

pebo1

Thanks David, I have contacted Don. It all is a little pricey but first rate system.

Cheers — Peter

costaricabill
    Participant

We’ve had Slingbox a couple of years now and use it on a regular basis. It works exactly as David describes.

Another source that we have been using now for several months is USTVNow.com. You can not get it in the States, but it works everywhere else, and we have found the picture quality to be a bit better than the Slingbox.

Just Google USTVNow and it will come up. Go to their site, register for free and you get the “terrestrial channels” (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and a couple others) free of charge. Thay have packages that include many more channels, but I think it is a bit pricey. It is nice to have multiple sources for getting stateside news and information.

By the way, you can get both SlingBox and USTVNow on your iPad or other device. For mobile devices I think you have to buy “SlingPlayer”, but for USTVNow you just log in. I actually watched part of the recent debate on my iPhone while in the car!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

SlingBox has just announced a new and updated version of its high-definition product. Here’s a link:

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/gadgetbox/new-slingboxes-let-you-stream-1080p-content-anywhere-1C6369634

watchdog

I understand the reception of all TV dish systems to be affected by heavy rain, or cloud cover.
    [quote=”gkbiz”][quote=”colleen.1″]Sky (out of Mexico)provide a very good service with a variety of channels, including BBC. Installation service is excellent. Their top-choices ‘UNIVERSAL’ subscription costs only $54.90 per month. Compared to the local cable service ‘Supercable’ Sky’s choice’s are a 100 percent improvement.[/quote]
    What happens to SKY when it is rainy, stormy or cloudy? Are there install and equipment fees? Is there a minimum time for your contract with them? Can you cancel or suspend? Where can one get more info in English?
    Thank you[/quote]

pebo1

Thanks kindly Dave, Don has visited and will be installing the Dish system for us.

It’s pricey for initial equipment, fortunately the sat dishes remained on the property when we purchased the home so just the box then the monthly fees but will be full US system when up and running.

Don and his wife very friendly and accommodating.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.