DIMEX card for banking

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum DIMEX card for banking

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Charlie

Regarding the new requirement that all foreigners must have a DIMEX card to do banking in Costa Rica , is that the same DIMEX card issued to Permanent Residents , my residency card ?

Charlie

[quote=”charlie”]Regarding the new requirement that all foreigners must have a DIMEX card to do banking in Costa Rica , is that the same DIMEX card issued to Permanent Residents , my residency card ?

[/quote] Sorry , found the article that answered the question.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

And the answer is . . ?

costaricabill
    Participant

Still waiting for the answer – but to several questions:

What is the DIMEX caed?
    Who will be required to get one?
    Who is eligible to get one, and conversely who is not eligible?
    How do you apply?
    Who issues them and where?
    What banking activities does it allow you to transact or not transact?

I keep hearing about the DIMEX card but can’t find anyone that has the answers. If anyone has the information, please share.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

DIMEX is an acronym for [i]”Documento de Identidad Migratorio para Extrajaneros”.[/i] It’s the card we usually refer to as the [i]cedula[/i].

Since about 2007, [i]Migracion[/i] has been issuing solid plastic DIMEX cards with a computer-included facial photo on the front and an encoded magnetic data strip on the back. Prior to that, they issued an tan paper card onto which one’s photo was glued. Folks had them laminated at the local copy shops.

So, when you go to [i]Migracion[/i] to get your residency [i]cedula[/i], what they’ll be issuing you is a DIMEX card. They look like they are created by the same technology that creates your Costa Rican driver’s license.

If you are not a resident or in the process of becoming one, then the question of how and where to obtain one is something with which I can’t help.

costaricabill
    Participant

Thanks for the information David. I’ll keep trying to find out what happens to those of un in process of residency.

FYI – we had some renters in our guest house week before last. They were here from Massachusetts and while here bought a condo and a very nice lot. Because of thore purchases they needed to open a bank account, so they went to the bank and inquired as to what was required. They had a utility bills, so the bank asked them to get a letter from me (as their “landlord”, a letter from the real estate office stating that they had made an earnest money deposit on both properties, and a fax from their bank at home.

The US bank never sent the letter, but with the 2 “local” letters in hand they went back to BNCR, and within an hour they had 2 accounts open, both personal accounts, one in dollars, the other in colones.

The banker never mentioned the DIMEX card requirement.

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”costaricabill”]Because of thore purchases they needed to open a bank account, so they went to the bank and inquired as to what was required. They had a utility bills, …..[/quote]

Sorry, I meant to say “they had NO utility bills”

costaricafinca
    Participant

The DIMEX card will be required as of July 1st.
    But whether it actually makes a difference, who knows….

Charlie

Found this article in the Costa Rican Star newspaper ,

http://news.co.cr/requirements-banking-costa-rica-become-similar-us/6944/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.