Dengue and Puntarenas

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Dengue and Puntarenas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    terrycook

Hi, I have read the older(last years stats. on the problem in the country) I will be spending my first month in Puntarenas after a week in San Jose. Does anyone have an up-date on the problem or how well this has been handled? Any other suggestions on the area. I have a hotel on the beach booked for a months and it looks good to me. This is one place I am considering in my 6 month look for a place to land for good.
    thanks
    Terry From Texas

Edited on Jun 06, 2007 17:53

genn789

Read this article in La Nacion about dengue in Guanacaste, Limon and Puntarenas http://nacion.com/ln_ee/2007/junio/01/pais1116664.html

Be cautious with this disease !

terrycook

genn789, thanks for the reply…I speak a little Spanish and read very little. I gather from the article that things are still not good. I guess I will go to one of those translating pages to see if I can get a fairly good read out of this article.
    again thanks…I will be on the Caribbean side for a month or more too so this is something I need to really look at.
    Thanks
    Terry From Texas

genincr

Most dangerous places (= best places for mosquitoes) are the lower and wet lands. Use a good repellent.

sprite

Apparently, the more dangerous and deadly hemmorhaging Dengue is a recent development. I don’t know whether lessened government attention to this matter is partially or wholly to blame and it’s hard to see if effective efforts are truly being made to stem this problem.
    Nature reacts to human caused imbalances in ways which aren’t usually in sync with our intentions. Dengue reappeared after 1993 but the last two years have seen explosive spread of the problem. I can’t help thinking that population growth in the affected areas is a major contributor. I only briefly considered the coastal area as a place to live. Besides the high cost of land and increasing population, I am tired of heat and humidity and find the Central Valley a much more comfortable and safe place.

Andrew
    Keymaster

With rising global temperatures, we are also going to see various tropical diseases migrating to areas that previously never had that disease.

Another example would be in Africa, there are places where we used to live where the altitude was such that mosquitoes were not often found but they are now because it is warmer and malaria and other diseases caused by the mosquito are on the increase.

We will unfortunately face similar problems all over the world…

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

GringoTico

I believe that hemorrhagic dengue may be only contracted if you’ve had regular dengue first. If you’re in the lowlands it’s probably smart to use a mosquito net at night. Other than that, bug spray – just like in the U.S. (West Nile virus).

In other words, educate yourself, take appropriate cautions, and then don’t let it stop you from enjoying yourself.

By the way Terry, San Jose and Puntarenas are probably the least expensive and most convenient places to stay for a while, and as such do sound like reasonable options for your “base camps”, as long as you understand that (in my opinion) these are also two of the three worst places to stay – Limón being the other. Sleep there, have breakfast, and then get the flock outta there. The best of Costa Rica can be found in smaller towns, beaches, and the countryside.

rf2cr
    Participant

Terry,

Did someone from La Suiza get in touch with you about accommendations? Suggest you have a look at the north end of Lake Arenal and out toward Tenorio & Miravalle Volcanos – our experience is that there are almost no mosquitos at the higher elevations. (The wind probably blows them away!). If you don’t mind being a little off the beaten track there is an area around Ricon de la Vieja called Nueva Zelandia that is just beautiful.

Ruth

terrycook

rf2cr, I have a few “leads” for La Suiza people but have not heard from anyone as of yet. I do plan for a few weeks to a month in this area too. I have written down your other suggestions and will explore these options also.
    Thanks one and all for your input.
    I am also going to spend some time in Dominical, Golfito and Cahuita.
    Again thanks and any and all info is welcomed. Oh as an up-date it is now taking 12 weeks to get a passport sent back to you UGH :{ The new rules from Uncle Sam has really put a back log on things.
    Terry From Texas

Imxploring
    Participant

I just had to make a comment… a bit off topic… but isn’t it funny that Uncle Sam is taking 12 weeks to issue passports for people to LEGALLY leave the US… but there’s no waiting if you want to come in ILLEGALLY! It’s really starting to hit home that being an American is no deal…

happygirl

Can you please tell me why we have mosquitoes in Canada? It certainly isn’t tropical here.

sprite

It has NOT been a great deal to be a U.S. citizen for a long time. Anybody on the planet with a pulse can become one. At least in that respect, we are all indeed equal because we belong to the most UNexclusive club on the planet right now. The real owners of the U.S. are just making room for more cheap labor.

Look at the differences between Costa Rica and the U.S. on this point. I can NEVER become a Costa Rican with voting rights even if I were to marry a Tica and have children with her. Costa Rica pretty much only grudgingly gives us permission to live and spend our money here. They don’t want us meddling in politics or taking jobs from any of its citizens. How do I feel about all this? It’s like the line from a Woody Allen movie…”I would never want to belong to any club that would have ME as a member.” So, if all Costa Rica will do is let me sit on the sidelines, that’s fine with me.

Edited on Jun 07, 2007 10:36

Edited on Jun 07, 2007 12:48

DavidCMurray
    Participant

That was Groucho Marx.

*Lotus

showing your age dcm…lol OK i knew that to.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Sadly, I don’t need Groucho Marx’ help to show my age. I’m doing it just fine all by myself.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.