Declaring items at customs

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Declaring items at customs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Charlie

Has anyone had to declare items brought into CR with customs at the airport and pay taxes on those items . I was thinking of bringing some things with me on my next trip that probably would fall into taxable status. I just wanted to hear of anyone’s experiences . For example, would the items in question have to be left there and one return later or the next day ? Or is this done right then and there , pay the taxes and leave with your stuff ? I thought this may be a cheaper alternative since it all fits in 1-2 luggages , than shipping through an agency from say Florida and having to pick up at a customs agency in CR . Not sure , never have done this before .

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Charlie, the typical experience is that stuff in you luggage goes through pretty smoothly. If you declare it, value it at less than $500. Then play dumb. This seems to work with computers and peripherals, cameras, DVD players, etc.

Can you tell us what sorts of things you’re planning to bring?

mediatica

Charlie: I am headed back to Costa Rica as we speak with a playstation, car stereo, and other things. I am declaring it. Why? Because once when I didn’t declare my car parts brought from the states, they declared it for me. I am a legal resident, and as such, you are allowed to bring in $500 of goods tax free every six months. If I didn’t have electronics in my bags and extra suitcases, I don’t bother claiming the things I bought abroad. However, when they stamp the back of your passport (bonificado via la aduna which it will say, you will not be able to bring ‘goods’ back into Costa Rica tax-free for another six months. Good luck. 🙂

teksmith

My wife and I just got back from CR. We purchased a condo last year and have been taking household goods down with each time we go. After about 6 trips, we have yet to have any problem with what we bring. This trip we had an iMac and laptop, dvd player and about 75 dvds along with misc kitchen and bedroom stuff. As I read the declaration form, it refers to items for resale, not personal items. Each time we have had 4 bags stuffed to the 50 lb limit.

mediatica

Just an FYI if anyone cares: I did have to claim my goods at the Liberia airport (as the person obviously saw me bringing in NEW goods). They don’t just have to be ‘personal items’. Remember, that the reason you are exempt is because these items cost a lot more here in CR because of the import taxes, which is what you avoid with your Residency exemption. So, I am banned for another 6 months. Pura vida!

Charlie

Ok, you said residency exemption . If one doesnt have residency here , and under a tourist visa, can the $500 exemption still apply ? basically I am bringing craft supplies like you would buy at Michael’s or Joanne fabrics. It is for a school project my wife is doing, she is doing an art project for 35 students and there is alot of it as repetitive items , brand new stuff, so it will look like it is for selling . Supplies here aren’t really expensive at all, but these are just things that that are Brand name , maybe betteer quality supplies .

mediatica

Charlie: As a tourist, you are allowed to bring in your own personal effects without being taxed. Only residents get an exemption. A lot of people confuse this. If you bring in a DVD player and they bust you for it, you’ll have to pay taxes. It happened to my dad several years ago before he got his permanent residency. Of course, it all depends on WHO you get at customs. It’s hit or miss. However, if you are making a donation, just say that if they ask. I wouldn’t bother declaring it, but rather you’ll have an answer for them if they do ask you. I think you’ll be fine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.