Danger Investment Playa Bandera-Parrita

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Danger Investment Playa Bandera-Parrita

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Bandera

Watch out for buying any property on the beach in this area. I have the rights for two lots on the beach. One with a house. I took a chance and paid all the canons, took care of the vacant lot for years. Things were working out well.

Last year they hired a firm to do the zoning and then apply for concession God was that a beautiful view!

During this past rain the pacific ocean came up to the doorstep. Last week my tenant /writer says there was an alligator in the back yard. I knew the risk and took a chance. Luckily my hectare is 1,200 meters away from the beach. Just watch out, there are for sale signs all over the beach.

DO NOT BELIEVE ANYONE! Before checking it out with an honest attorney and architect. Also watch out for the water permits. I am going to list my hectare with for sale by owner with Scott as soon as I nail down a few things.

My neighbor, Ana who has run a store for 20 years is going to be shoved out. I hear the east coast is a buy now. Oh and get title insurance for that right of possession so at least you can get your money back. Not the millions it is worth just what you paid for it. This is a situation where the government is saving the property for the rich Mariots and Hiltons.
    Stan BBE

What is this post about?????
    I’m a bit lost.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Your posting is a little confusing ‘bandera’

Are you saying that you bought within the maritime zone? Or that global warming has forced the water levels up so that you are now within that zone?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Imxploring
    Participant

There’s no doubt that global warming is… and will have a big impact on coastal properties all over the world! And there is going to be a resulting impact on the MILLIONS of people that live in these areas. I’m not sure where I read it (not from Al Gore’s slide show)… but the projections are that sea levels will rise about 21 feet above the current sea levels within the next century. It’s something to keep in mind for those thinking about investments in the low lying areas and beach communities. Having a home on the east end of Long Island (NY) I’ve seen the result and can say first hand that sea levels are rising. The USGS (United States Geological Survey) many years ago placed GPS markers along the coast (and elsewhere)… I enjoy trying to locate them with my handheld GPS… sad to say…. many are now “unrecovered” as they say….they’re now under water. Say what you want about global warming… but I for one believe it!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Now you know why my ‘escape’ or ‘when-the-sh..-really-hits-the-fan-home’ home is at 5,000+ feet.

More on that to come ….

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Imxploring
    Participant

I have to agree with you on that one Scott… I’m up in the mountains over Lake Arenal… seems to be a good place to wait out what we all know is coming!

I can’t wait for your take on that!

Fourreads

Stan,
    Two questions:

1) Is your beach property to the east or west from the road to the beach?

2) What past rain are you referring to? Are you talking about rain last week or when?

Lori

dkt2u

We were just in Bandera (Playa Palma)a week ago. We have friends who live there full time. We have a piece of property there. We were on the beach and I see virtually no difference from really what it has been for the last three years since we lived in Bandera for 6 months in 2005. Whether things are changing or will be changing because of Global Warming or anything else is another argument. We just met this past week with Marvin in the Muncipality office in Parrita regarding the property situations in Bandera.

Exactly who is “they” who hired someone to survey and rezone the land? The entire area of Bandera was one of the many beach areas in the country that did not even have a plan regulador. As is happening in many parts of the country, the department responsible for making the new plans is gradually completing those new plans for some areas. Part of the new plano for Bandera is now complete and only specific parts of Bandera are now eligible for concessions and building permits. Other areas of Bandera are still in limbo so to speak as they have not been given a specific designation and at some point might very well be designated as protected land which will never be given concession or building permits. Other parts of Bandera though now have the same rights for concession and permits as other beach communities that have had them for years.

Some of the areas in question currently only have what is translated as a “soil use” permit. Basically meaning you can grow things on it but you can not build on it. Manai who now has control over these areas may at some point in the future decide to issue regular concessions. That is a wait and see situation though.

This past week we had a higher surf swell than what is typical. There is a section of Bandera to the north end of the village that has typical tico homes, cabinas, even a small soda and market. We were told that all of these structures have been there for years but have always been illegal because there was no plano for Bandera. The beach in Bandera is very flat, so I can imagine that a higher than normal swell could have brought some water right up to these places doorsteps during high tide.

We have always been told that you can not get title insuarance for concession property. There is no title and in most cases not even a current concession that a title insurance company would be able to guarentee or verify. I could be wrong on that and would simply say to ask someone like Stewart Title to know for sure.

Concession property is definitely a different animal than titled property and there are many more things you should consider, verify, etc. when considering purchasing a concession. A good portion of properties along both coast do not have current concessions. You will see a lot of for sale signs and when you ask the seller if their property has a current concession they will tell you it is in the process or has been applied for. That may be true, but until that property has a legitimate concession, you are at risk. Because it’s been applied does not mean it will ultimately be issued. I am not opposed to purchasing concession property, we own a concession property, but it had an existing concession, so it was not in question. What I would not recommend is purchasing property that does not have a concession that is already in place.

sprite

Does anyone ever worry about Arenal blowing its top someday? Slow rising of sea levels is at least survivable.

Imxploring
    Participant

As long as it keeps letting off pressure as it has for the past 40 years I guess we’re safe! My guess is that it will go silent before it ever lets off a big bang… the question then will be… what will come of all the tourist spots around the volcano?

Bandera

No it is not global warming. More later today
    Stan

Fourreads

dkt2u,
    I have heard these same things regarding these illegal structures on this section of the beach. I heard that story over 3 years ago about the pulperia being torn down. Also that the muni wishes to move the road to the rear of the properties which is how the road is on the eastern end of the beach.

I would like to contact you outside of this forum. We are very familiar with the area and would like to know what the latest information Marvin M. has at the Muni about the plano regulador and other things.

Can we and how do we connect??

Lori

Roark

Al Gore says it is 20 feet over the next 100 years, I don’t know where he got that from. All other credible people say it is another 1-2 feet, the same as it was during the last 100 years. The reason for the rise is that the ocean water is expanding due to higher temperatures. The reason for this is from the sun getting hotter, that apparently is a cyclical phenomenon that has been happening longer than I care to imagine. Isn’t it a little arrogant to think anyone of us knows what the optimum temperature of the planet should be when it has been getting hotter and colder for millions of years.

Bandera

Lori
    Yhe heaviest rain they had in 100 years.
    Next to Ana and Victor’s pulperia
    Stan

Bandera

Lori
    Did you ever find out who Marvin was? I have to send my lawyer to Parrita to see what the deal is.
    Thanks
    Stan P

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.