crazy with dog importation

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum crazy with dog importation

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    alewis

Well, I know there are a lot of posts regarding bringing your dog with you. I have spent at least several days just trying to get the real TRUTH about this. So far I have been told I must have a broker, I must pay an import fee of $500,00 (yes, as in five hundred dollars). We want to come with our dog to live for 3-6 months. We have already bought a condo and want to watch it going up (or not as in Paragon). This has become a nightmare. Because it is summer he must travel as cargo rather than excess baggage, there is no guarantee he will actually be put on the flight if the temperature isn’t cooperative but we must fly as our ticket requires. The pet broker Angie with Pet Service (got her name from the forum) says we must have an import permit but the US Embassy site says no permit needed for a personal animal as opposed to people moving groups of dogs. The fee for the Pet Services was $2300.00 one way. Believe me, I have tried to read all the info on the forum related to this issue but at this point I just feel confused and overwhelmed. This trip is supposed to be helpful and informative. We have been to CR several times without the dog and had no problems. But we feel crazy with this dog thing. It isn’t possible to leave him home-no one to keep him and prohibitive to board for such a long time. Help!

rebetzen

Trust me I went through the same nightmare bringing in two dogs! You don’t need a broker – it is much easier if you come into Liberia Airport. No broker, and the dog will be waiting for you after you go through immigration. Don’t know where you’re coming from, but Continental Airlines always flies the dogs – they have air-conditioned equipment and temperature is not an issue. I know, we flew from Florida in September!
    Ten days before you leave you must get a certificte from the USDA, your vet should be able to give you all the information you need.

costaricafinca
    Participant

I [i]think,[/i] if the dog comes as ‘cargo’ you must use a broker.

maravilla

do not send the dog — unless it is too big to go as luggage — as cargo; THAT is when you need the broker.

only use continental (more expensive than American) or American — both have temp controlled compartments. some arilines won’t even fly dogs anymore.

all you need is the USDA health certificate, and the original rabies certificate, signed by your vet, and NOTARIZED by the vet at the USDA!!! there is a spot on the form that your vet can check off that says the dog can withdstand heat over 80 or below 40 degrees. Typically animals are loaded last and are NOT kept on the tarmac. this is really an easy process — i’ve done it a dozen times and never had a broker, and never had a problem. the pet transport company is just trying to make money, but those fees are outrageous and unnecessary, UNLESS you have a huge dog.

Like alewis, I have also read the forums regarding this subject matter. I have a small 11 pound Pomeranian. I am still unclear whether I can carry her in the passenger compartment with us, or not. Can anyone enlighten me on this matter?

maravilla

that dog should fit in a carrier that goes under the seat, but they only allow 2 dogs in the cabin, so you have to make a reservation for the dog when you make your own reservation, and you will need all the USDA paperwork as well. this really is not a complicated thing to do, but groundwork is important. call whatever airlines you are thinking of using and find out what their pet policies are, or look on their website. i don’t know if ALL airlines allow dogs in the cabin. do not wait until the last minute to do this. health certificates are timely and must be done within 10 days of travel, rabies vac must be at least 30 days but not more than one year old.

maravilla,
    Thank for the follow-up.

alewis

Thank all of you for your replies. According to the US regulations (for Costa Rica) you don’t need a broker if you are bringing in a family pet. We have no broker. He has to fly cargo because June, July, August and September it is too hot for them to fly as checked baggage. We have our vet, who is knowledgable but my nightmare is the refusal to give me my dog. We are flying into San Jose due to distance to where we are going. It is my understanding the CR’s don’t care what the regs say, they can do as they please. We are flyiing Delta (which was more expensive than Continental) because they have a direct flight from ATlanta which keeps him confined much less. He is 65lbs and sweet. I guess we will just pay thru the nose at the airport because I feel sure they don’t want to keep the dog. This broker stuff is just BS=money. If it was a cooler month he could fly checked baggage. This is what I have learned so far.

maravilla

your nightmare with cargo has just begun — is your dog going to be on the same flight as you???

kittyzeniou

please keep us updated on the situation, we are in exactly the same boat with the same size dog, we are electing at this point to check her in with us with Delta in Atlanta but Sept 15th or later when dogs are allowed to fly with you in baggage.

Thanks

alewis

We are in Birmingham, Alabama but have elected to fly from Atlanta because Delta has a thru flight so it only takes about 3 and a half hrs. (give or take) We have no broker. The Costa Rican Embassy in Atlanta told my husband we needed no broker because our dog is the family pet. We are not breeders or sellers of animals. Believe me, if I had know then what I know now I would have arranged our 3 months in CR for the times when he could fly excess baggage. We were left with no choice because our flights were booked. The cost for the dog (l way) was $840.00. Absolutely shocking. God only knows how we will book him out of CR when we are ready to leave. The will not let you book a pet round trip. A pet service was $2300.00. I may end up wishing I had paid it. We spent some time before in CR and left the dog-I spent most of my time worrying about him and it is just not worth it no matter how much they cost, I think. I am not rich by any means but we just couldn’t leave him again. We also have 2 cats but we are leaving them with our daughter so no worries. Our vet is knowledgable and we hope up to date. I tried to call the consulate in Atlanta again today but they close at 1pm. But, to some degree I know the officials at the airport are uncaring and you really have no recourse no matter what THEIR consulate says. I am really worried to death about this but I feel helpless. Have tried to get in touch with the broker whose name I was given but never answer.

alewis

Yes, the dog is on the same flight with us.

maravilla

make sure your vet is USDA certified, otherwise he can’t sign the health certificate. wouldn’t it be cheaper to change your flights than to pay these outrageous fees to bring your dog???

alewis

It probably would be cheaper. We had no idea this would be such a problem. However, we may go to Atlanta where the CR consulate is to ask for a letter saying our dog came cargo because there was no choice and that the fees don’t apply. Do you think they would honor that? I looked up the word “broker” and it is somebody who is between two parties who want to conduct business. Makes no sense to me at all. However, I have come to understand that this sort of thing is common in CR and one must have patience. I have a lot but I am really worried about this. Many thanks for your help. The vet is OK.

maravilla

why would the CR consulate write such a letter, and what fees are you referring to? if your dog goes cargo, you will need the broker unless the dog is on the same flight you are. yes, this is confusing and a big hassle unless you know all the rules before you plan to do something as complicated as trying to bring your dog on vacation. and then there is taking the dog back to the States — a whole other set of things to deal with, but mostly it’s just the rabies vac they are interested in. i never needed another health certificate for our dogs when we brought them down for the winter and then returned to the States.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.