CR – High in Tourism

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum CR – High in Tourism

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Costa Rica – High on Tourism in 2008

Tourism in Guanacaste reached a new high in the first three months of 2008, as more than 150,000 people flew into the region via the Liberia airport.

The new figures confirm that Guanacaste has become the principal tourism destination of the country, with many tourists so satisfied with their experience that they keep coming back for more

See the story at; http://www.amcostarica.com/042308.htm#31

lisle55

Those number are great but I don’t see how you can claim that Guanacaste is the principal tourist destination of the country? Even if these number where consistent for all 4 quarters there would only be 600K tourist going to Guanacaste that would leave the other 1.4 million tourist going to the San Jose airport and I would assume that they are going to the southern and central pacific coast. Some to Arenal and the Carribean but the majority to the Pacific Coast. My point is Guancaste is not where the majority of the toursit are going that are coming to Costa Rica. But for some reason they seem to get the most press. This is something that I haven’t been able to figure out. I would love to hear the opinions of others.

sprite

Could be that higher real estate prices out that way elicit more press on the subject of tourism. Just a long shot theory of mine, but it could also be that North American vacation home investors in that region have more bucks and may be more closely connected to the press AND more engaged in generating buzz about that area.
    I have not yet been there but from what I have read and heard about the area, it is a bit too dry and brown in the higher elevations and too hot on the coast for my tastes….and definitely too rich for my budget.

grb1063

I do not aee the appeal of Guanacaste over other parts of the country either and have been there several times. Tamarindo is a travesty and most all of the resort towns are just that, with no real character. The weather in the hot months is not very tolerable and the mix of residents is skewed toward North Americans. I have found the best towns to be anywhere south of Samara, with a more diverse european, south and north amereccan mix.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.