Costa Rica’s government issues Dengue warning

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica’s government issues Dengue warning

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    costaricafinca
    Participant

The Costa Rican Social Security System (CAJA) reported that 14,OOO[url=http://www.ticotimes.net/More-news/News-Briefs/Costa-Rica-s-government-issues-warning-on-dengue-outbreak-reports-14-000-cases-in-2013_Friday-July-05-2013] Dengue cases[/url] have occurred in the country so far this year.

Empty and clean those plant saucers, and do what is necessary to avoid getting sick!

Andrew
    Keymaster

From my article:

[url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/Dengue_Fever_in_Costa_Rica_Questions_and_answers.cfm]Dengue Fever in Costa Rica. Questions and answers.[/url]

“I had dengue in July 2007 and I do not want to belittle this or any other disease because it’s sure to be dangerous for older people and those with a weakened immune response system but for me – a healthy 47 year old male at the time…

It was no worse than a bad cold for a couple of days which did not prevent me from working but certainly ruined my appetite and made me sleep much more…”

Scott

costaricafinca
    Participant

[i]I sure don’t[/i] want to get dengue and arsenic poisoning, at the same time 🙄

VictoriaLST

Good God, man, you have a low opinion of us! Of course we use insect repellent! We aren’t [i]that[i] stupid.
    [/i][/i]Stay in the states, please.

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]I’m curious as to whether those of you currently living in CR take the precaution of using insect repellant? I have mixed feelings about slathering chemicals all over my skin. I’m sure they do a decent job at repelling mosquitos but I’m sure there must be some effect on the wearer too, however small.[/quote]

Yes, I use insect repellant and so do many of the people I know. Most bars and restaurants have it available for their clients upon request. Our area is not near as “buggy” as some other areas I have visited in CR, but at times they can be annoying.

We also take B vitamins that help you build up a resistance to the smaller insects.

And, a friend of mine has an iPhone app (“BugsAway”, I think) that she swears by. We were at a beach restaurant and the flies were annoying. She pulls out her iPhone, opens the app and sets it on the table. While she was telling me how effective it is, 2 flies landed on her phone!!

Anyway, here is a vote for repellent – now, if it only mixed well with Rhum!!!

Andrew
    Keymaster

There are very few insects to worry about in the Central Valley area.

Compared to the bugs I used to collect in various countries growing up in Africa the ones we have here are small and, I saw a zillion more cockroaches in Manhattan than I’ve ever seen in Costa Rica..

Scott

PS. And no! I don’t use insect repellant or sunscreen UNLESS they are all natural.

davidd

Sweikert

I know your doing all your diligence years ahead of schedule but I am curious as to why you cost Costa Rica as opposed to all other places.??

d

costaricafinca
    Participant

I use repellent when walking in a shaded, heavily treed area, especially at this time of year… and we have lot’s of trees!
    I sometimes use a home-made mixture of water and vanilla essence, that I spray on .8)

VictoriaLST

Let me clarify:
    We researched CR for three years, used the forums, travel sites, advisory sites, tour sites and more.
    Since moving here 16 months ago, we have met literally hundreds of people, including members of sports groups, charities, local expat groups, community groups and the like.
    We continue to scan the local and national websites for information on living in CR.

From, then, many hundreds of people including people who have had dengue and other tropical ailments, we found the following: there are people who will not even travel to areas where there is a serious danger of contracting dengue fever; people who do travel to such areas have [i]always[/i] worn and suggested we wear insect repellent either applied to the skin or to long covering clothing.

Protecting yourself is the intelligent thing to do.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Read this dengue fighting suggestion in the [url=http://www.ticotimes.net/Weekend/Weekend-Columns/DIY-Fight-dengue-in-style_Thursday-July-04-2013]Tico Times[/url] today

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]Here’s an article I came across today that I found interesting:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/why-some-people-are-more-prone-to-mosquito-bites-than-others/2013/07/22/0d46035c-ee34-11e2-a1f9-ea873b7e0424_story.html?tid=obinsite

So the lesson here is: If you [b]MUST[/b] go out somewhere in CR that may have a large mosquito population take along one or 2 friends who have type O blood, drink lots of beer and could stand to lose a few pounds.

LOL[/quote]

That’s a simple task…. just hang out near any gringo watering hole in Costa Rica… the skeeters must have a field day sucking blood in those places!!!

sstarkey

My housekeeper, (normally a pretty healthy gal), just suffered through 2 weeks of Dengue Hell. Said she had NEVER felt that awful in her entire life and was basically bedridden.

I burn Citronella candles on my terrace and am now cooking up my own all-natural repellent using the Citronella plants from my garden. I’m not a DEET fan, so use it sparingly, but there are certainly alternatives.

Lotus123

We just put off a trip because of the dengue outbreaks. Not too concerned about ourselves, however we have a 9 month old and just felt the risk was not worth it. Any medical people here that could comment to my concerns regarding our daughter?

Gracias.

Kwhite1

[quote=”davidd”]Sweikert

I know your doing all your diligence years ahead of schedule but I am curious as to why you cost Costa Rica as opposed to all other places.??

d[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHA…you’re killin me David!

In Belize it is called “breakbone” fever, same thing, but pretty crappy way to lose 10 lbs!

costaricafinca
    Participant

Keep out of the Parrita area which seems to be a problem. Also keeping away from standing water, heavily treed and shaded areas.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.