Costa Rica’s Electricity and Water Problems

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica’s Electricity and Water Problems

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Would love to hear from the VIP Members who have spent a lot of time in Costa Rica about how Costa Rica could solve their water and electricity problems?

I have put up my own article on this topic which you will find at: < https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/1325.cfm > I am NOT an expert on energy but this is a problem that will affect all of us at some stage, no matter where we live.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Peg

My best suggestion for the electric would be to increase the percentage of wind energy being used. Also get some of these big foreign owned companies to invest in solar panels, if not the current ones, certainly all future companies moving or building in CR.

As far as water goes, wih two oceans, maybe De-salination plants, one on each coast.

editer

I remember reading a magazine article about 30 years ago about a community that had one reservoir at a high elevation. There was a hydroelectric dam which supplied power to the community, however, it was being strained by increasing usage and decreasing water supplies. The community was in the process of digging another reservoir at a lower elevation.

The plan was to use the dam to generate power during the day as usual, however at night when the demand for electricity was much lower, the community would pump the water back up into the higher reservoir. It would take a lot of energy to do this, but the energy was expended during light usage hours.

I don’t know if this plan worked or not, but I thought it was a unique solution. Of course, I’m not an energy expert either.

editer

While I’m no expert on modern technology I think that it would take more power to pump the water back up to the higher reservoir than they would recieve as it came back through the turbines to the lower resevoir. The generators and pump motors are not 100% efficient and this would actually lose more power than it made. Unless there is someting about this that I did not understand.

editer

I had the same thoughts as I was writing my post. As I said, I’m no expert, either. The article was written decades ago and my memory about the project is more than a little bit frayed. It may have been that a power source other than the hydroelectric dam was used to pump the water back up to the reservoir. I never saw a follow-up article that spoke to the success or failure of the project. I’m not even sure what publication carried the article. It may have been “Popular Mechanics.” You know, the issue that explained how to build a robot out of vacuum cleaner parts.

editer

diego

Accumulating many small changes seems to be the answer. There is no one change that I see which presents the solution.

Scott you mentioned many changes and others here have mentioned many changes. Can you imagine Tico with nuclear power? France claims to have a much safer nuclear program that does not produce large quantities of radio active pollutants as they recycle the material.

What about the power generating plants I see next to the ocean in CA. Is there a way to use ocean water to turn the turbines?

Just brainstorming upon Scott’s request.

artedwards

Scott,
    The huge problem that I see is not what can be done but when. Those large computer corporations won’t stand for their power being interrupted, they will move to another country before ICE knows what is happening. ICE knows what needs to be done but the bureaucracy prevents them from doing anything till it’s to late. I’ve done some checking on the new solar panels and find the prices have drop considerably. Where I’m living now near Tehachapi California has a huge wind farm developing 1.6 megawatts per unit, that would seem to be a very quick answer to Costa Rica’s problem. ICE would have to start now to keep those computer related companies from moving, I would wager that other countries are plying them with their own power systems if they would just move. The other thing that needs to happen today is to stop those high rise buildings and other power hungry buildings. Water does renew itself but just how fast is the question and if this global warming is happening then fresh water will become scares. As an ex-engineer I know it takes time to put things in motion, that is something Costa Rica doesn’t have. They need to start construction of wind power plants yesterday or the economic crash they heading for will be something Costa Rica will never recover from. I have an engineer friend that installs turbine power plants and he says that it would take way too long to set things up to stop this disaster from happening that way. He did think there are some small turbines that could be brought in quickly if Costa Rica can find the fuel. That would only be a stop gap measure to give them the time to build the wind power units. Of course all this is just my humble opinion.
    Art Edwards

Andrew
    Keymaster

Funny enough I was joking about this with some friends saying that maybe the head honcho from Intel in the USA telephoned Oscar Arias saying “we would like to suggest this power problem is fixed NOW or you can kiss goodbye to the largest high-tech employer in Costa Rica.”

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

tmvatan

Friends: I understand that a major problem with the wind turbines near the San Francisco area is that they kill a lot of birds, including protected species. I believe that might present a problem in Costa Rica where there are so many different kinds of birds. I fear that in the tico way, that as soon as it rains and everyone has power again, no one will follow up on this disaster in the making. Before anyone responds, I am all for alternative methods of power, it just that we don’t want to injure the ecosystem either. Also, before moving here, I investigated investing in solar power in Southern California. I found that the equipment was so expensive that it was doubtful whether or not one could ever recoup the costs involved. If it’s that expensive in California, I really fear the price in CR. A solution might be conservation and stricter development requirements? tm

gg

Didn’t I just read somewhere that there were true(potable) water shortages in the Guanacaste area? Seems this article mentioned the tourists were unhappy campers. Wonder if having an impact fee for new construction would help resolve this issue. Also, insisting infrastructure is in place PRIOR to issuing permits for projects might help in the future, too. Only ideas…

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Detroit Edison built a pump recycling station on a high bluff overlooking Lake Michigan at Ludington, Michigan in the late 1960s at a time when I was married to the daughter of their vice president for construction. They used standby (waste) energy from fuel-fired generating plants at night to pump lake water into the reservior. Then, when demand increased, they released reservior water through the turbines to meet the need. It worked very well.

The downside was that it was hard on the environment. When lake water was pumped into the reservior, many fish were killed. And when the relatively warm water that made it through the turbines was released back into Lake Michigan, bad things happened to the local lake environment.

All that said, I’m pretty sure the plant is still in operation.

jneiman

It would be interesting to know if the technology for those alternative energy solutions (solar panels, wind generators etc) are brought into Costa Rica with little or no tax. Same goes for hybrid cars? I think there are people interested in pursuing the technology but if the costs are prohibitive for most, then it’s not much of an option.

As an aside, I really wonder what AyA is doing for water in Costa Rica. 97% of sewage is untreated. Rivers in the central valley are polluted with garbage and whatever else. An open window drive through many neighborhoods is permeated with the stench of poorly maintained septic tanks/fields. A recent report in Tico Times stated that water testing was not a normal part of AyA operations unless there was complaints of smell/clarity. I know they have that nice new building in Pavas — colored blue like clean, fresh water, but really what are they doing to protect this resource? It will be cheaper to pay more to manage this resource now, than everyone running out to buy bottled water from the supermercado.

I located this link while writing this.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_supply_and_sanitation_in_Costa_Rica

artedwards

TM,
    I’ve never heard of any birds getting killed by the wind turbines, the blades turn so slow any bird should be able to avoid getting hit. Solar power in Southern California is around $23,000 for a 3KW unit, what you don’t use you sell to the utilities. Perhaps it would take some time to recover your investment but you would be looking at many years of little maintenance. The cost of power keeps going up so payback gets shorter all the time. When I do move to Costa Rica I’m thinking of bringing some solar panels with me to hook up to a battery storage system for when the local power goes off. I’m looking for the payoff on a system at current prices when I get it figured out I will post my findings.
    Art Edwards

genn789

Summertime ? Other countries change the clock one hour to save energy. Why not in Costa Costa while the other surrounding countries do this to save al least some energy……?

By the way a lot birds get killed by the blades. The speed on the end of the blades is very high…. listen to the sound….. moving air.

I think that I remember reading something similiar in Popular Science.
    What I remember was a location that had a huge tide difference and they opened some large gate like structures that allowed a gigantic holding pond to fill with ocean water. When the tide started to drop they would shut off this gaste and then allow the water to exit through some turbines to genertate electricity. That is if my memory serves me.
    Phil

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.