Costa Rican Superfood

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rican Superfood

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    kordan

If anyone here hasn`t tried the Pejebaye fruits here (same tree where hearts of palm come from–it is truly an amazing plant
    According the the UN:
    The use of B. gasipaes pre-Columbian times was complete. The fruit, its most important product, was used in two ways: cooked (boiled in water) and as a slightly fermented cool drink. In both forms, it constituted the basic food during the harvesting period in the indigenous communities which grew it. For consumption out of season, it was preserved mainly in ensiled form and prepared in a very similar way to today, with storage in trench silos made in the ground. One month after being covered over, it was ready for consumption or could be stored until the next harvest. This fermented material was consumed mixed with water as a cool drink. It could also be carried wrapped in leaves during journeys and merely had to be diluted in water for consumption. Another important form of preservation was drying the fruit, exposing it to heat and smoke and then placing it on mats suspended above a fire. To be eaten, it just had to be boiled in water. It was also eaten in the form of tortillas made from its dough, as with maize, or as farinha. The oil, which separates out when the fruit is boiled, was occasionally used for cooking other foods. Prolonged fermentation – lasting one week – enabled the alcoholic drink, chicha to be made for celebrating festive occasions. Thus, the fruit of each palm constituted a basic source of energy, replacing the functions and uses of grain in other cultures. It was especially significant as a substitute for maize, which it surpasses in nutritional value.

The wood of the trunk has great strength and elasticity which enabled it to be used to make weapons – bows, arrows and spears – as well as in construction. The apical section of the trunk, together with its embryonic fronds, is soft and has a delicate flavour; from this the palmetto or heart of the palm is extracted. The sap from this part of the trunk, either unfermented or fermented in various degrees, was used to prepare nutritional and intoxicating drinks.

The young inflorescences were also eaten roasted “the herdsman’s way”, without opening the protective spathe. Infusions of the roots were used in medicine as a vermicide.

Today, the Indians use the same basic products obtained from the peach-palm, which now produce a greater diversity of by-products, many of which are still being developed. Thus the wood is used to manufacture building materials such as parquet, panels, luxury furniture and handicraft items, taking advantage of its beauty and great strength. The long fibres on the inside of the trunk show promise for use in fibrecement products. Exploitation of the palmetto is a prosperous industry: having originated in Costa Rica in the 1970s, it is gradually gaining importance among the countries of the American humid tropics as a profitable crop and on account of its sound characteristics for ecological management, in accordance with new agronomic trends.

The fruit, which in the past was only important in its areas of production because it is very perishable, is now seen as having great potential through processing to form flours and other derived products such as oil, beta-carotene and starch. Tests are even being carried out to see if the trypsin inhibitor contained in the fruit of some cultivars can be used as an insecticide. Flours made from peach-palm have an important future in human nutrition, being consumed in confectionery, bread-making and other preparations. It also has a great future in animal feeding, as a substitute or supplement for grain, in the manufacture of concentrates and fermented as ensilage. Fermentation of the fruit is being investigated with a view to its exploitation in the manufacture of various organic compounds. Its possible medicinal use, as practiced by the Indians, has yet to be explored.

maravilla

i’ve had them a couple of times, made into soup. problem was there weren’t any seasonings in the soup so it was rather bland and tasteless, but i might given them another shot. i’m sure i could make a better soup than what i was served.

costaricafinca
    Participant

It takes a [i]lot of seasoning[/i] to make them taste better…

Locals cover them with mayonnaise to add taste…:roll:

I love the wood, though, and have a few items made from it.
    Be very careful if you get stuck by a ‘thorn’ from this palm, as it goes in like a fish hook and must be removed with a razor blade, then apply lots of anti-biotic cream.

kordan

Mix the paste with sugar and chocolae–tastes just like chocolate pudding

F.A Skippy

INBIO/CATIE/UCR sells a spineless variety. I have about 30 trees.
    Get an old “soul food’ recipe for sweet potato pie and make one with pejibaye.It rocks.

La Pacifica, just outside of Canas, makes the best soup.
    Here’s their recipe.
    18 peaches boiled, peeled, chopped.
    6 cups of chicken broth.
    2 cups of whipping cream/double cream. Dos Pinos box.
    1/2 stick of REAL butter.
    4 tablespoons of flour.
    2 medium onions , diced
    3 bay leaves.

Melt the butter and saute the onion.
    Slowly add the flour and whip by hand.
    Add the chicken broth…room temp…with the bay leaf, some salt and pepper.Get it hot, almost to a boil.
    Buzz this mix, with the previously chopped pejibaye, in the blender.
    Back in the pan, BUBBLING, for 30 minutes and keep whipping with a whisk or stirring.
    Let it cool a little bit then stir the cream in, sprinkle with cinnamon and munch out.

It’s always better if you smoke a good left handed cigarillo while making it.8)
    Pura Vida !

The recipe also works great with ayote.
    If you eat it every day, I’m sure Scott has a recommended cardiologist he can refer you to…..:lol:
    Serve with chicharrones.

maravilla

yum! my neighbor found a 22.5 kilo ayote in her compost heap. she divided it up and gave us a big chunk which my husband made soup with, very similar recipe except that he use miso paste as the base. omg! it was divine. then i made fresh croutons from some italian bread i’d baked and we put those on top to add texture. but we did two things differently from your recipe — one, we used FRESH milk/cream from our local dairy, and FRESH butter. mmmmmmmmmmm

Vmc

[quote=”maravilla”]yum! my neighbor found a 22.5 kilo ayote in her compost heap. she divided it up and gave us a big chunk which my husband made soup with, very similar recipe except that he use miso paste as the base. omg! it was divine. then i made fresh croutons from some italian bread i’d baked and we put those on top to add texture. but we did two things differently from your recipe — one, we used FRESH milk/cream from our local dairy, and FRESH butter. mmmmmmmmmmm[/quote]

Maravilla….when we get there, would you teach us how to cook, or come cook for us just once?! LOL

I’m now disappointed with the Chili I just had.

F.A Skippy

[quote=”vmc”][quote=”maravilla”]yum! my neighbor found a 22.5 kilo ayote in her compost heap. she divided it up and gave us a big chunk which my husband made soup with, very similar recipe except that he use miso paste as the base. omg! it was divine. then i made fresh croutons from some italian bread i’d baked and we put those on top to add texture. but we did two things differently from your recipe — one, we used FRESH milk/cream from our local dairy, and FRESH butter. mmmmmmmmmmm[/quote]

Maravilla….when we get there, would you teach us how to cook, or come cook for us just once?! LOL

I’m now disappointed with the Chili I just had.[/quote]

Here is a 42 kilo American Bulldog with a ” I have no idea kilo” ayote.
    image20

maravilla

that’s a funny picture!! the ayote my friend grew looked like cinderella’s pumpkin before it turned into the carriage. that sucker was HUGE. oh, and i bought some peach palms today at the feria. i’m going to try the soup. will use your recipe as a guideline and let you know how it came out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.