Costa Rican Residency

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rican Residency

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    itsbutch

I, and I understand other also, are having the same problem that I am in obtaining residency. I have all the legalized papers from the US as requested by my lawyer. I have now been here in CR the three months and should be leaving for 72 hrs to keep things legal. My lawyer is either slow or just don’t care. I still need to get fingerprinted and I have been awaiting her to get an appointment for three months now. She told me that sine I have the papers filed that she doesn’t think I should have to leave the country for 72 hrs. I asked her “you think” and she said “no, you don’t have to leave”. I have heard from others and read postings that one should leave CR even if the papers for residence are filed.
    I don’t want to walk a crooked path here in C.R.
    Does anyone know if one can do this residency stuff without a lawyer? She is charging me $1000 plus $240 for stamps and finger prints. I am retired and would have the time to do the process myself.
    Help…………or suggestions. What I actually need is a lawyer to do it in a normal amount of time.

wmaes47

I think you are paying to much for someone who says “I think”.

You should believe that there are several other places that will assist you, and quicker, for a lesser price. Try these places:

http://www.residencyincostarica.com/

This is a good link to read within WeLoveCostaRica.com written by a friend of Scotts:

https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/953.cfm

Another article:

http://www.vistasdesarchi.com/residency.php

Another lawyer to check with:

http://www.residenceincostarica.com/

Let us know if you need more.

Many of the articles from these site and others state that “you do not have to leave Costa Rica for the 72 hours after the application has been filed”.

Cheers
    Bill Maes

maravilla

If you have your application stamped with the immigration office official stamp, you can stay and don’t have to trot across some border. I used Residency In Costa Rica (bill gave you the link) — Javier’s sister does all the footwork in CR and she is EFFICIENT like nothing you’ve ever seen. If you haven’t already paid that lawyer, I’d suggest contacting Javier Zavaleta and letting him and his sister do the work, which will actually get your your residency.

scottbenson

What ever you do make sure they have in roads to the goverment. Maybe your lawyer doesn’t have the connections to push the paper work to the top and this is why she is slow.
    If you do have problems I would suggest that you call the embasy in the States, I normally have talked to the people in chicago and they are great!

itsbutch

Bill,Maravilla and Scott

Thanks so much for the info…….I’ll definately contact the brother and sister team. I haven’t yet paid the lawyer because she has done nothing except tell me the “I thinks”
    Thanks to you all and to We Love Costa Rica.com, I have gotten so much good info from this site.
    Butch

itsbutch

Maravilla
    Can you give me the contact info for Javier and his sister…Please!
    Thanks!
    Butch

maravilla

Butch — you won’t be sorry you used them. Besides myself, 6 other people I know got their residency through Javier and his sister and everyone of those people said that without them they wouldn’t have known what to do. Javier’s e-mail address is jzava@pacbell.net

Please tell him that Trisha referred you. I don’t get kickbacks or anything but I like him to know where the referral originated. His sister is married to a judge and their mother was once a consulate so they know the system, they know how it works, and they can maneuver you through it without any trouble at all.

itsbutch

Trisha
    Thanks for the email address, I copied and pasted your nice mesg to my email to him……..I am confident that they’ll be the ones to get the job done!
    Thanks again
    Butch

maravilla

My pleasure. Moving to a foreign country is daunting enough, and because residency is so important, it’s that much easier to have someone like Javier help you. And his sister is a hoot! Very funny, VERY professional, and efficient — you won’t be sorry.

OTTFOG

Maravilla,

I just read the threads and have also contacted Javier concerning residency for me and my family. This type of information is so helpful and valuable. Thank you for the strong referral. Jerry

maravilla

You’re very welcome. Before I discovered Javier I had already queried no less than 8 different lawyers in Costa Rica, and it really seemed daunting trying to work with someone in Costa Rica while I was still in the States. In fact, I was about ready to give up on the whole process but Javier made it so easy.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

If Javier and his sister don’t work out, let me know. I have another attorney who I’m happy to recommend because he’s treated us and friends of ours so well.

If you haven’t been fingerprinted, then your papers cannot have been submitted to Immigration and you do not (in the eyes of Immigration) have a residency application pending. Absent a formal application, I am 100% confident that you are subject to the requirement to leave Costa Rica for 72 hours every ninety days.

It’s difficult to figure out just what your attorney is up to, itsbutch. I’ve never heard of an attorney who would commence any legal process of any consequence without at least partial payment.

itsbutch

David
    Javier called me last night at 9PM from Los Angeles. He told me the same as you stated about the fingerprints etc. I’d like to work with a local lawyer. Javier claims that he files all the residency papers in Los Angeles?
    I am going to take a 3 day trip to Columbia (a friend recommended the trip – it’s $200 for 3 days – included hotel, food and airfare)
    Javier quoted me over $2000 for each of us – too much, I am sure there must be a less expensive way.

Besides this situation, I am going thru a bad experience with Global-OC on my shipment of goods they picked up in Califonia on 5/22/06 – estimated delivery for 7/1 – now it’s estimated for 11/26 delivery – Different forum discussion!

I WOULD BE VERY HAPPY TO GET THE YOUR RECOMMENDED LAWYERS CONTACT INFORMATION………

I am so confused………I call my lawyer and she has yet to return a call. I bought a car 3 months ago and I am still waiting for her to do the legal work for me……..unfortunately she’s the sister of a friend and he’s been the biggest help to us in other matters IE finding a house, a car, all around great person!!!!
    Thanks David, I appreciated all you help!
    Butch

maravilla

Remember, Javier’s fee includes EVERYTHING, and yes, your documents have to be authenticated by a CR consulate IN THE STATES! This cannot be done in Costa Rica, and what that means is they have a huge book in which all the notaries are listed , etc. and they must authenticate all the documents that you had notarized and apostilled to make sure that the person who did that part of the process is actually legally able to do that. The Consulate charges $40+ for each stamp that they affix to any document. And then the consulate insists that everything be sent FedEx so when you start adding up those costs, it becomes a big part of what he’s charging, but hey, do what you gotta do. I don’t know if that also includes the bond you have to post to immigration after you’re approved — that’s nearly $400 per person. Good luck.

scottbenson

A note on the docs that need to be authenticated in the states, last week when I talked to the Chicago embasy of CR they said there are some changes that will be implemented soon. At this moment all you need is your state police report authenticated. This will change to be a FBI nation wide report, because of national reporting on crimes that would prevent unwanted people in CR. What that means for expats is a longer waiting time for the report because the FBI takes 3 weeks and the local goverment only takes a day depending on your state.
    So if you are planning on doing somthing do it sooner than later!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.