Costa Rican medical schools

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rican medical schools

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    magnum1865

Does anyone out there have any experience in or with costa rican medical schools. My wife is a tica and we are considering moving there later in the year and I am interested in attending medical school there.

scottbenson

Just talked to my wife, which is a tica and her family employees 8 doctors now in San Jose.

She said there are two medical schools

the first is a private school and that is called UACA.
    The second is the University of Costa Rica in San Jose.

She was saying that if you are a forigner you will have to pay double the amount for tuition than the Ticos do. This is the new law for the education compensation.

How ever her understanding is that the medical liscens does not transfer into the States system?

Her family employees a lot of cuban doctors since they are able to imigrate to CR.

Hope this is helpful!

Edited on Jan 19, 2007 14:38

GringoTico

The UCR has a much better reputation with regard to their medical school than La UACA, and paying twice the normal tuition is still probably a great deal compared to what you would pay in the U.S.

magnum1865

Thanks for the comment, I actually checked and medical education from costa rica (i.e. an MD degree) does transfer back to the states, provided there is an in depth exam requirement. My wife is a tica lawyer who also has a law liscense to practice in the US, so I plan on having local residence to get around the international tuition rate. I guess I was more interested in the quality of the education available in Costa Rica. I have researched a university called UNIBE in Heredia that has a medical school that looks quite promising, anyone with any experience on that front?

GringoTico

UNIBE is relatively new. That said, the person listed as Dean of the Medical School is known to me, and very highly regarded.

Magnum1865

Please have your wife post here when she sets up her practice in Costa Rica. I would be interested in dealing with a Tico lawyer who is also a member of a stateside bar. Would you be willing to tell which bar she currently has membership in please?

Thanks,
    Tom in Portland, OR
    Paralegal

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.