Costa Rican immigrants

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rican immigrants

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    sprite

Among the many different Hispanic nationalities living and visiting in this area of South Florida, I rarely come across Costa Ricans.

From the Dao Te Ching:

If a country is governed wisely,
    its inhabitants will be content.
    They enjoy the labor of their hands
    and don’t waste time inventing
    labor-saving machines.
    Since they dearly love their homes,
    they aren’t interested in travel.
    There may be a few wagons and boats,
    but these don’t go anywhere.
    There may be an arsenal of weapons,
    but nobody ever uses them.
    People enjoy their food,
    take pleasure in being with their families,
    spend weekends working in their gardens,
    delight in the doings of the neighborhood.
    And even though the next country is so close
    that people can hear its roosters crowing and its dogs barking,
    they are content to die of old age
    without ever having gone to see it.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I think it’s common knowledge that Ticos like to travel but get homesick quickly…

Having said that I really don’t think we can honestly say that this or 99.9% of countries out there are “governed wisely!”

I’m in Madrid today and will fly back to Costa Rica tomorrow…

Scott

sprite

I agree with the “good government” issue. They are mostly bad news but some are much worse than others. I suspect the good thing about the Costa Rican government is that is has or exercises very little enforcement power,.no army and a tiny police force.
    The point is, I meet very few Ticos in Florida compared to all of the other nationalities there.

sprite

[quote=”sweikert925″]I’ve lived my whole life in Chicago. I’ve never met someone from Finland, Slovakia or Bolivia that was visiting here.

Therefore, it must be true that no one from Finland, Slovakia or Bolivia has ever visited Chicago.[/quote]

Miami is populated by Cubans, Nicaraguans, salvadoreans, Gustemalans and Panamanians. The Tico presence is remarkably and practically non-existant.
    And bear in mind that immigration to the US from Costa Rica is perhaps ten times easier than from Slovakia. And who wants to move to frozen Chicago anyway?

sprite

[quote=”sweikert925″]According to [url=http://travel.trade.gov/outreachpages/download_data_table/2011_Visitation_Report.pdf] this US government report[/url] there were 168,722 Costa Rican visitors to the US in 2011. Maybe Ticos don’t like Miami and prefer Orlando – or the Grand Canyon, Niagra Falls, Los Angeles – or even Chicago(!).

Or maybe they visit Miami and just avoid you.[/quote]

I expressed an anecdotal opinion. (Chicago sucks, by the way) But you forced me to do a Wikipedia search. I found the following;
    There have never been waves of migration from Costa Rica to the United States. The Immigration and Naturalization Service records indicate that very few Costa Ricans have actually tried to enter the country illegally. This is because, unlike other Hispanic groups, they have not been forced to emigrate to the U.S. for political oppression or extreme economic circumstances.

Most Costa Ricans living in the United States have settled in the U.S. for any of the following reasons: they have married American citizens and decided to move to the U.S.; they were raised by their families in the United States; they have been hired to work in the United States after completing a degree from an American university; they have found research opportunities that may not be as readily available in their country, or they have come to various jobs and trades in the United States.

Since 1931 only 57,661 Costa Ricans have immigrated to the United States. Hence, the number of Costa Rican emigrants has been increasing very slowly. This is a very different from the pattern of emigration from most other Central American countries. In fact, the other two countries in this region that have a continuously slow rate of emigration are Belize and Panama.[2]

[quote=”Scott”]I think it’s common knowledge that Ticos like to travel but get homesick quickly…

Scott[/quote]

Very true, and guess what they miss the most ? YES ! RICE AND BEANS.

And after that their families. Specially Ticas can’t live without their mothers. Single guys be aware ! If you marry a Tica, you marry a family, not just a wife.

sprite

Sweikert,

Chicago is cold, crowded, ugly and dangerous. According to FBI stats, East Chicago and Gary Indiana are among the top 30 murder capitals of the US.
    No Florida city makes that list.
    I am pretty sure I know why Ticos do not immigrate to the US in great numbers. But I have NO idea why anyone would choose to live in the frozen murder capital of Chicago. Maybe the politics suits them?

sprite

I suspect most visitors to Chicago are there for business not pleasure. For pleasure, people generally look for weather such as we have in South Florida and Costa Rica.
    Weather is important to me. Chicago weather sucks big time. South Florida weather is better and the weather in the mountains of Costa Rica is the best. In fact, for me it is perfect.
    Try and imagine how stressful it must be for a Tico in Chicago. He must spend a lot of time day dreaming about the idyllic country he left behind comparing it to the hustled pace and brutally cold winds of Chicago. Hell, you live in Chicago and you probably day dream about Cista Rica. So fess up and admit Chicago sucks and you would rather be in CR.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]I’ve lived my whole life in Chicago. I’ve never met someone from Finland, Slovakia or Bolivia that was visiting here.

Therefore, it must be true that no one from Finland, Slovakia or Bolivia has ever visited Chicago.[/quote]

Perhaps there’s another reason….

Maybe folks from Finland, Slovakia or Bolivia are just really good judges of character and are wise enough to avoid contact with folks that would ruin an otherwise enjoyable visit to Chi-town?

Sorry sunshine…. YES…. I had to go there! Happy Tax day! 😉

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]That’s your only contribution to this conversation? Only someone as petty as you would “have to go there”. By the way, how many of the 11,576 Costa Ricans in New York have you personally met?

But thanks for reinforcing the point I was making – because one person hasn’t run into a particular category of people it is absurdly illogical to conclude that those people aren’t present.[/quote]

Sorry Steve…. just trying my best to be sure to make everyone aware that there are other possible explanations to the issue than the Google based logic and Internet knowledge you seem feel compelled to apply to every conversation.

As to the 11,576 Costa Ricans you state are living in NY…. How do we know it’s not 11,577…. or for that matter 9,741? You see the stats you seem so intent on using to make YOUR point are based on what? A 15 second Google search…. nothing more… and we all know that the Internet is full of nothing but factual truth… right? Did you hear that Obama was born in Africa…. and that he’s a Muslim? It’s on the internet…. I Googled it and found a source that claims it’s fact!

The point is Sunshine, if you’re going to post… post your own experiences or information you might know first hand from personal knowledge rather than trying to impress the rest of us with Google searches…. we’re all familiar with the internet and how search engines work. If you’re posting YOUR opinion that’s fine…but make that clear… don’t try to validate it with the same tired Google “knowledge” you seem to love to post as fact.

When you posted all the information on the cost of items (food and sundries) from one of your visits that was useful… and first hand information. Be it a little over the top it was YOUR experience…. and first hand knowledge that others might find useful!

Got to run…. my Costa Rican landscapers (a crew of 3) are outside cleaning up…. and I have to take the Jag down to have it detailed by the Costa Rican fellow at the car wash…. then off the play a round of golf with my Costa Rican foursome (not long ball hitters… but man are they great out of the sand traps)… then off to this great Costa Rican restaurant in Eastport for dinner.

Guess I’ll knock off meeting 8 or 9 of those 11,576 Costa Ricans living in NY today… I’ll keep you posted on my progress… won’t be long before I can personally confirm the accuracy of your numbers! 🙂

Have a wonderful day Sunshine…. and go out and meet some different people today…. you might be pleasantly surprised! Leave Google at home and have a conversation without using a search engine to fill in the dead air when you’re talking.

Cheers

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]And thanks for proving again how petty you are.

The people who read this forum for information about Costa Rica would have learned nothing from your comments on this thread other than your antipathy toward me. Not very helpful.

Why do I post statistics such as the ones I did? Because some information gathered by reputable sources are useful to a topic of discussion. No matter how many Tico landscapers you personally run into, it won’t ever be enough to conclude with any certainty how many Ticos live in New York, or how many have emigrated to the US. (You have in the past linked to sources of information you got from the internet, but let’s leave your hypocrisy aside for the moment).

Reasonable people would agree that The US Census Bureau is a more reliable source on this question than you are. (You probably disagree). Reasonable people would also accept information from the Costa Rican government bodies that CR Hoy used as the basis of their article that disproves the original theory that Costa Ricans don’t emigrate much.

If you disagree with those facts, you aren’t disagreeing with me, you’re disagreeing with the US Census Bureau, the Costa Rican Department of Migration and Immigration, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Supreme Electoral Tribunal. If you [b]DO[/b] disagree with them, then you should be prepared to tell us why.[/quote]

Come now Sunshine…. petty… I think not…. you’re entertainment for me and others that read these forums… we all knew someone like you back in school… you know who you were…. think about it for a moment. We all wondered what happened to you… not really but I’ll throw that in as not to appear petty.

This is a discussion forum there Tiger… not an “I can out Google you and show you how smart I am” forum. Those of us with first hand experiences purchasing, owning, selling, building, banking, visiting, travelling, and living in CR come here to exchange ideas, information, and opinions.

The big difference here is that I start my day today with a smile… off to enjoy myself… you on the other hand have to double up on the blood pressure medication before you head off to work… trying to once again convince everyone there you’re the smartest guy in the room…. how’s that worked out over the last 50 years? Still pushing paper rather than signing it I’m guessing.

Somehow I think the same result is in the cards for today Sunshine… but there’s always tomorrow!

Have a wonderful day.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.