Costa Rica Wheelchair access?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica Wheelchair access?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

One of my two housemates is in a wheelchair. She can stand to climb curbs, can walk a short distance (for instance, into a bathroom from outside the doorway), but can climb only a couple of steps. How restricted will her life be? Thank you!

Andrew
    Keymaster

To be blunt, Costa Rica is not built well for pedestrians on two strong legs never mind people in wheelchairs.

They are making a real effort to put in sidewalks in some areas but you will have a very tough time getting around most streets in a wheelchair…

Having said that, if you are living in a well designed one level home, getting around at home should not be a problem, if you have the right car/truck and go to the big shopping malls like MultiPlaza , there will be no problems navigating them at all.

Scott – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

How about theaters, restaurants, etc.? Are they at all accessible if we can get her close enough to them? Or is everything up and down stairs?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Around San Jose – yes! They are accessible. You should not have too many problems driving to restaurants and theatres and getting inside.

That same mall for example has one of those huge movie theatres with ten (I think) different screens and huge aisles that I’m sure would be fine for wheelchairs.

My usual advice would apply here which is why not rent for six months and MAKE SURE that things are accessible as you need them to be? I am, only “imagining” the problems that you face, You KNOW the kinds of problems that you face on a day to day basis…

After you have been for a while and KNOW that’s it’s OK, then you can plonk down your money to buy something in the most accessible area.

Scott

Yes, we’re seriously thinking of doing this, Scott. Our question, though, of course, is *where* to rent. I had a question on another topic that you were kind enough to answer — “where to settle”; I’m not sure if San Jose is the place we’re looking for. So — I’m asking about various options. I know I can see mountains in this area; I don’t know if the temperatures are about 70 degrees year round and if I won’t be in a large city. Could you liken it to any city in the U.S. as far as population density is concerned? I suppose it isn’t like New York or Washington, D.C.; I really don’t want something like that. Private house with no homeowners’ association and plenty of room between my neighbor and me; that’s my idea of living.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Outside San Jose, my opinion is that there are no areas that would be suitable for a person in a wheelchair.

Thankfully I can not liken any city in Costa Rica to any city in the USA

Sounds like you have never been here before Marilyn, would suggest that you visit first and then return with your friend at some stage in the future “if” you feel it would be suitable.

Scott

PS. DO NOT include the previous post in your reply please.

We’re planning to visit, Scott. It was a matter of where to go to visit. 🙂 Thank you for all of your help!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.