Costa Rica Voted One Of The 5 Most Retiree-Friendly Countries

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica Voted One Of The 5 Most Retiree-Friendly Countries

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

I do not agree with all of their ‘facts’ about the cost of living and real estate but what do I know? 8)

My comments are in ([i]brackets[/i]) below.

This snippet comes from [url=http://www.fool.com/retirement/general/2016/01/03/the-5-most-retiree-friendly-countries.aspx]Fool.com[/url]

“With its political and economic stability and its low property taxes, Costa Rica has drawn a large American expat community — large enough that some casually refer to Costa Rica as a U.S. colony. ([i]Costa Rica is NOT a U.S. “colony – thanks and I know nobody who refers to it as such.[/i])

The country is known for having one of the best healthcare systems in Latin America, and as in other Central American countries, healthcare-related costs are generally much lower compared to American costs. Average monthly premiums paid for health insurance coverage in Costa Rica fall between $60 and $130 a month.

Because of the influx of American expats, Costa Rica has become one of the more expensive countries in Central America to live in. ([i]The fact that there has been an ‘influx’ of ‘American expats’ may affect real estate prices in a few, small and fairly unimportant areas at certain beaches but overall has very little impact on the overall cost of living in Costa Rica.[/i])

Nevertheless, the overall cost of living is much lower than that which most Americans are used to. For instance, our $12 meal in the U.S. would cost roughly $7 in Costa Rica. ([i]This may apply in some rural areas but would not apply in the touristy areas or in and around the capital.[/i]) The monthly rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Costa Rica would set you back roughly $450, whereas the same apartment would cost you $1,123 a month in the U.S. ([i]This may apply in some rural areas but would not apply in the touristy areas or in and around the capital.[/i])

If you were looking to purchase an apartment, the price per square foot in Costa Rica would come to about $130 versus $213 in the U.S.”

([i]$130/0.0929 = $1,399m2 and yes! You can certainly buy some lovely apartments and homes for this price in most areas but NOT in the high-demand, touristy beach areas.[/i])

The article finishes with some good advice:

“When you’re deciding where to live out your golden years, remember that Florida and Arizona aren’t your only options. Expand your search to the entire globe, and you might find your dream home where you least expected to.”

BillNew
    Participant

I agree completely Scott …

To give the author the benefit of the doubt, I think that he/she must be working with some pretty dated data …

Their price per sq ft for an apartment wouldn’t cover the cost of land in some areas …

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.