Costa Rica Travel Film From 1947

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica Travel Film From 1947

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    johnnyh

Costa Rica Travel Film From 1947 – San Jose with a population of 70,000!

waggoner41

Thank you johnnyh.
    I am going back to the States for a month and will make sure my kids and grandkids see this antique. 😀

Jackson

That was great Johnnyh,
    It makes one want to go back in time, it is to bad that airports are not like that anymore.
    Thanks for the great post, I vote best post this season.

johnnyh

In the travel log you will notice a DC3. This brings back quite a few memories. Back in the ’50s my dad managed a lumber plant in Limon that was converted from balsa which was critical during WW2, and I remember taking the DC3 from Limon to San Jose and arriving at the old La Sabana airport. I remember it well as my mom used to take me into the ladies room. The ladies were not threatened by a 5 year old. LOL!
    I don’t know if any of you have ever been in a DC3, which can be very impressive from the start of the two radial engines to the flight itself. I do recall that in certain parts of the floor you could see through! Oh, and they would pass out Chicklets gum for the altitude pressure, and when the plane would catch one of those air pockets, down it would go leaving your stomach above! To this day I can remember the sound of those engines.

pharg
    Participant

“… Costa Rica is noted for its modern highways….”[4 minute mark]

yes, how things do change in 66 years

wasaga
    Participant

Thank you johnnyh
    YES I remember the DC3 (Dack) with its’ “flapping” wings , air conditioned floor and it’s groans and weird noises as it “cut” through the skies. While in the army it was used extensively throughout Europe and middle east. Put on a few air miles, a great plane though.
    Once again Thanks for the memories.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.