Costa Rica to Dollarize ?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica to Dollarize ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    kimball
    Andrew
    Keymaster

In order to discuss this why don’t you give us your opinion?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

grb1063

Waggoner & Sprite? Surprised you have not thrown in your economic knowledge on why it may be a mistake to run with a losing horse, not to mention the potential psychological outfall with Costa Ricans’ patriotism.

kimball

[quote=”Scott”]In order to discuss this why don’t you give us your opinion?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com[/quote]

I’m not sure either way. I am not an economic genius like you. I’m just a dumb bricklayer.

And why do i have to have an opinion to ask the question and start a discussion ? I Didn’t see that in the forum rules.

waggoner41

[quote=”grb1063″]Waggoner & Sprite? Surprised you have not thrown in your economic knowledge on why it may be a mistake to run with a losing horse, not to mention the potential psychological outfall with Costa Ricans’ patriotism.[/quote]

As expats we’re hung with the dollar whether we like it or not. We’ve lost about 16% of our purchasing power since the first of the year already.

The dollar is weakening and it wouldn’t be a good idea for Costa Rica. They are better off with the colon

sprite

Fiat currency is a confiscatory tool, as are banks and governments. Fiat currency is used by the Owners to gain ownership of property and control the of the population. And since this monetary system in a wasteful economy of scarcity is unsustainable, it doesn’t matter what currency is being used. The economic system is doomed and so are all of us with it.
    We already have the Euro and are supposed to be getting the Amero soon for an American Economic Union. I understand there is a plan for an Asian Economic Union as well. The logical move for the Owners after that is to merge it all into a One World Economic Union with one currency. What does it matter whether little Costa Rica gives up its Colon right now or a bit later? The end result will be the same.

grb1063

I knew you two would come through.
    If your stuck with a fiat currency regardless, would you not stick with the one that holds its value better? You would have made a killing on USD vs. Euro in the last 6-8 months. Your scenario Sprite, which is completely within the realm of reality, will not happen in the 1/2 live’s most of us have left. Physical holdings of precious metals is not an option from a transport perspective, unless you just own paper on it, but it has been a very good bet in the last year. I myself have capitalized on it, but need a safe to store it. Most savier people will make the best of barter; it is how I am getting my house resided, stone installed and painted + equipment. Anything “under the radar” pays big dividends if you are consistent with it.
    As of late, maybe it would be more appropriate for CR to switch to the Yuan???

sprite

[quote=”grb1063″]I knew you two would come through.
    If your stuck with a fiat currency regardless, would you not stick with the one that holds its value better? You would have made a killing on USD vs. Euro in the last 6-8 months. Your scenario Sprite, which is completely within the realm of reality, will not happen in the 1/2 live’s most of us have left. Physical holdings of precious metals is not an option from a transport perspective, unless you just own paper on it, but it has been a very good bet in the last year. I myself have capitalized on it, but need a safe to store it. Most savier people will make the best of barter; it is how I am getting my house resided, stone installed and painted + equipment. Anything “under the radar” pays big dividends if you are consistent with it.
    As of late, maybe it would be more appropriate for CR to switch to the Yuan???[/quote]

I have no idea when the harsher aspects of the collapse will set in. Not this year or next but after that, who knows. The situation may be more fragile than you think and is certainly more precarious than the population is led to believe by authorities.
    As for which currency will hold up better in the meantime, I also have no way of knowing. The smaller currency is going to be tied to the larger one as we move along so the differences may be marginal. This would be important for holders of very large amounts of one currency or the other, or for those on the edge of survival with no margin for loss, but for most expats, i canlt see how it would matter that much.

grb1063

Well said Sprite, but there are too many other countries tied to our debt and hence the dollar. There will be more bailouts to come, but on a more international scale. The Chinese own trillions of our debt and they won’t go down without an ugly fight. Good reason to sell out here, pay for something 100% elsewhere and have $0 debt.

plasticbrad

If the crap hits the fan, I would rather hold smokes and booze (or rice and beans) than gold.

grb1063

Food & water (self-sustained), guns, bunker of ammo., libations (numerous), computers(music, video and the web via satellite). Scott would not disagree especially if there were cases of single malt.

Andrew
    Keymaster

That’s not fair!

By volume I drink a lot more good red wine than Scotch …

But, I must confess that I have definitely spent more money on ammo this year than I have on red wine or Scotch…

Truth be told I’m really saving up for my own personal, pocket sized nuclear weapon … But only after I have finished building my own UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) – a drone!

Seems like everyone wants one these days!

Scott

sprite

[quote=”grb1063″]Well said Sprite, but there are too many other countries tied to our debt and hence the dollar. There will be more bailouts to come, but on a more international scale. The Chinese own trillions of our debt and they won’t go down without an ugly fight. Good reason to sell out here, pay for something 100% elsewhere and have $0 debt.[/quote]

I agree entirely. This is what I am working on right now as fast as I can. My guess (just a guess) is that things will be less harsh in the coming period of unraveling world economies for those of us in the country side with farm land, a potable water source and some form of power off the grid. No guarantees, though.

Some people talk about holding precious metal. That might work in the short term but things may happen so fast that there would be no time to convert useless metals into useful survival material so why not just go straight to the ultimate game and set?

raggedjack

I’m glad you guys are already down there worrying about all that stuff… when I get there, I just want to relax a little and live a less stressful life.

Work it all out before 2013, if you would 😉

guru

An historical chart starting in 2000 shows the Colon steadily gaining against the dollar starting at 232 per dollar and now at about 511. A few years ago it was an even 500 per dollar which made it easy to calculate in one’s head.

While the dollar IS dropping globally there are reasons each currency is exchanged at different rates. The Costa Rican economy relies heavily on the U.S. for commerce including, tourism, realestate and agriculture (you find Costa Rican Pineapples and Bananas in almost EVERY grocery store in the U.S.). If the Costa Rican economy is stronger today than decades ago it is based largely on the flow of U.S. dollars.

As far as investments go there are many places to put your money that is better than cash in the bank or money market funds. Realestate, antiques. . . I have tools and machinery that have gained steadily in value against the dollar. With manufacturing down it HAD been a buyers market but the selloffs are slowing. The problem with all investments of this type is liquidity. Just how fast do you need to be able to convert to cash? Days, weeks, months. You might take a year or more to convert realestate to cash at the highest value.

I have a friend that published a special interest book that is now in its 5th printing of 1000. Its a big book and a printing is over $40,000. He says it earns him just a little more than bank interest so he keeps printing and selling them. Very meager gains and slow to cash out but also low risk.

The problem with “market” investments, including holding any currency or investing in stocks is that it is a power players’ market. Small investors can easily get run over in a big fish’s profit taking. For many it would be better to play the lottery.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.