Costa Rica Speed Limit

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica Speed Limit

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bobr
    Participant

My wife and I will be visiting CR in May….We will be taking one of the tours by George L. to get a feel for moving to CR later this year or first of 09….We are curious about an article we read about the speed limit being 40klm (27mph)….we watched House Hunters Intl. last nite…those cars were not going 27mph…can anyone shed any lite on this…

Andrew
    Keymaster

Huh? There are speed limits in Costa Rica? 🙂 What do you mean you have to stop at a STOP sign?

The drivers here could be better, having said that I – who may be one of those people who “could be better” – must confess that I do not know what the speed limit is but will try to find out for you…

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

grb1063

The max speed limit in CR is 80km (48 mph) and are on the stretches south of Liberia and west of Limon. And you wonder why you see a Ferari dealership in Escazu!! Where could they possibly drive that type of car the way it was meant to be driven and not kill themselves or some other animate object?

philipbennie

There is 90KPH posted on the road from Filadelfia to Belen and in other places too.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

There are stretches of Route 1, the autopista that runs from San Jose northward generally toward Nicaragua, that are posted at 90kmh.

On two or three occasions, I’ve been driving on the autopista between Santa Ana and Escazu and briefly noticed a red blur in my rearview mirror. Moments later, I noticed the same blur going over the crest of the hill in front of me. That is where one drives a Ferari, grb.

pbird

Who is George L and what tours? Thanks for any info……

harvcarp

Just type in ‘Lundquist’ in the search area.

bobr
    Participant

George Lundquist has the web site http://www.costaricaretireonss.com
    we will be taking his tour middle of May….from all indications his tour is quite
    informative….we are quite excited…..we will be moving to CR later this year…no
    later than early 09….We are thinking about the Orotina or San mateo area…anybody
    have any info on the area??

thanks
    Bob

dehaaij

There aren’t too many places that I drive where I would feel comfortable exceeding the speed limit. A few flat highways out in the country come to mind. However, in regards to your 40kph question, ironically this is the speed limit on arguably the nicest and best constructed new road in the country, the 5 lane stretch (4 lane with a proper turning lane in the middle) that runs through Perez Zeledon. Anybody driving 40kph along this stretch is a hazard to themselves and everyone else. Yet even more ironic is that just a few kilometres away, up in the mountains, the speed limit is 60kph. This is the stretch that passes through Cerro de Muerte is well known as the most dangerous in the country.

Jon

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.