Costa Rica Schoool – Know Lincoln School?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica Schoool – Know Lincoln School?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    hlt854

We are anticipating a year in Costa Rica beginning this summer and will be enrolling our son in the ninth grade.

One of our options is the Lincoln School (Heredia, when they move to the new campus). Do any of you have any first hand experience with this school or know someone who has? Thanks.

Lee Taylor

Charlie

My wife´s cousin who lives next door has her child there. I don´t know first hand , but my wife says it is a top rated school. She says that if your child is in the 9th grade it would be an easy transition for him / her , as they only speak in English and resembles American style schooling. I can ask for more details if you want some specific questions answered.

hlt854

My questions have to do primarily with school culture, i.e., flavor, tone, and attitude. If your wife’s cousin doesn’t have access to email, I will try to formulate specific questions. If she does, put her in touch. Thanks.

Lee

GringoTico

Lee, Search this forum for “Lincoln” and you’ll find a thread which may help you.

Here’s what I wrote about Lincoln:

“Lincoln School has perhaps the most exclusive reputation. It’s maybe half Tico, and half mixed gringotico (I like that name!). As a result, it’s primary “flavor” is still Tico, but the environment and infrastructure are very americanized. Lincoln School is one of the few schools accredited in the U.S. (I don’t know which others are), which means there are no problems getting into a U.S. university upon graduation. Lincoln school is also one of the few schools in CR that has a school year compatible with the U.S. All other schools in CR follow a calendar year schedule. Placing kids in these schools from the U.S. (or vice versa) means either skipping or re-doing a full semester. Lincoln school is expensive, several thousand per year plus an up front $4,000 – $5,000 membership fee if I remember correctly. Also, they’re finally getting out of their old digs in the middle of Moravia, with all the associated traffic, and building near Santo Domingo, on grounds currently surrounded by coffee plantations. Should be very nice.”

tmvatan

Hi, I just moved here last July and enrolled my littliest in the AIS. As we are returning also, it is important to find a school on the american schedule – which leaves AIS, CDS and Lincoln. I was not impressed with the old Lincoln campus, but have heard very good things about the new campus. As I am disappointed in the AIS (don’t even think about considering it for HS) I am heading over to the New Lincoln this week to check it out for next year. I wasn’t too pleased with CDS either. Too expensive, class size too large and have heard complaints re teachers. Remember, american schedule here means Mid-August start (one month off in December) and end in Mid-June.

As your child is in high school, his school record will be very important for his future college choice. I suggest you make sure the school is accredited and has the american or international baccalaureate (which both Lincoln and CDS have).

Best of luck to you,
    Teresa M. Vatan
    El Roble de Heredia

Best of luck to you,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.