Costa Rica retirement tours

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica retirement tours

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    drbobmellen

I would be greatful for info on Lundquist Retirement tours. Thanks

Andrew
    Keymaster

George’s site is at http://www.costaricaretireonss.com

I have only heard good things about his tours.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Marcia and I took George’s tour in January of 2005. It was the best money we’ve spent. Not only does George give you a great exposure to a variety of Costa Rican locales, any one of which you could find acceptable, but he’s a wealth of information about moving here, getting settled, building, banking, health care, shopping, etc, etc, etc. Perhaps the best part of the tour was the opportunity to ride from one stop to the next and just pick his brain.

Do the Lundquist tour.

jmhardy

I and two friends took a customized (two day) version of his your last summer and were very happy with it. And now, he’s a got a fancy new van for transportation that is undoubtedly much more comfortable to ride around in. I have recommended him to many others…

jerrym
    Participant

Thanks to the comments from David and everyone else on this site, I have booked a tour with George for the Sept. tour. I missed the one in Aug. because it leaves early Sun. morning on the day I arrive (Sun. Aug. 26th.)

I have booked David’s guesthouse, so I think everything is set. The information and help on this site is wonderful.

Scott, you have a very helpful website here.

Jerry Minchey

Ripple33

Jerry, I have not taken Georges tour but have met several people who have and were happy with their experience. I have met George and he seems like a nice man. I own property in Puriscal and have found that the real estate business is a dog eat dog world down there. Most every realtor will bad mouth the others in town that they do not do business with. I know George works with Frank Long who I have also met and seems like a nice guy. However, I strongly urge that if you are interested in purchasing property in CR that you see what everyone has to offer in the area. Take what everyone tells you with a grain of salt because often they are looking out for themselves more than they are for you. Things are different with real estate in CR. You cant just go hire a realtor in CR and expect to see everything that is offered in the area. Spend a few days with every realtor in the area, talk to the locals ect. See what everyone has to offer. Dont listen to the BS from any of them. When you find the property that you like for the right price(negotiate price), have it researched at the Registro by a trusted Atty of your own(do not use realtors atty). This is a conflict of interest. Do yourself a big favor and purchase Scott Olivers How to buy real estate in CR without loosing your camisa. It is the best book out there to help you get through the mess they call real estate in CR and help you avoid making costly mistakes. You can find alot of information on your own by talking to people, doing some research ect. George most likely is no more of a expert than anyone else that has been in CR for less than 10 years. I am not saying he does not have anything to offer. I am sure he does and he seems like a nice man. Just watch out for yourself because no one else will. Ask lots of questions and take answers with a grain of salt. Speak with as many people as you can, do as much research as you can on your own, and hire a good atty who will look out for your interests and knows about researching properties ect. Just my two cents. Also if you need a place to stay in Puriscal check with Bob and Patsy at Las Alturas De Puriscal. They have a couple of cabins and rooms for rent at very reasonable rates. Also super nice people and good friends. I do not want to discourage you from taking Georges tour by any means. I just want to warn you to watch out for yourself when getting into the real estate thing down there and see what all realtors have to offer no matter what the others say about each other. (check with Miguel Castro, Michael Dodson, Guy and Rosa, Frank Long, and any others you find in Puriscal). If you are interested in Grecia area check with CR Home. I know more about Puriscal than other areas. If you need property researched you can check the Garland Baker with Costa Rica Expertise or find another reputable person of your choice. Hope this information helps you.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I would STRONGLY encourage you to have absolutely nothing to do with Michael Dodson.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Ripple33

Why do you say that about Michael Dodson? I have dealt with him and had nothing but good experiences. He knows the area well and has been there longer than any of the other Realtors down there. Again the bottom line it is not who you deal with that matters if you have the right atty to close the deal for you. If you find a property that fits your needs from any of them that is what matters. You cant depend on any of the Realtors to look out for your interests. I am curious why you would not recommend Michael Dodson.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

To be certain, George Lundquist, like many members of this forum, is a mortal with all the faults and limitations inherent in that status. That said, he has been around the Costa Rica block a number of times, has investigated most of the things that matter to aspiring expats, and can offer excellent advice and insights. None of that is to suggest that he’s omniscient(sp?).

For us, the most beneficial part of his tour, however, was the opportunity to pump him for information. He doesn’t know everything about everything, but he knows an awful lot about an awful lot, and that’s saying an awful lot.

George is a big fan of the CAJA medical system; we’re not. George is a proponent of SuperBloc as a bulding system; we remain unconvinced. George thinks his dune buggy is a great way to get around; I wouldn’t ride in the thing. Having the opportunity, however, to discuss the pros and cons of a whole lot of the things a newcomer will have to face here with someone who has already faced them is a well worth the investment of time and money.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

There are good alternative real estate agents in Grecia, too.

Ripple33

David, I totally agree with you. George certainly does have some information to offer expats. I did not mean to imply that he did not. Many other expats have a ton of information as well and you can pick their brains for free. There are books, info on the internet, and just going down and talking to people you can find out alot on your own without spending a large amount of money. Like I said before I have met people who have enjoyed and gained knowledge from Georges tour and I would not discourage anyone from taking it if that is what they want to do. I just also urge them to keep a open mind and listen to what everyone has to say and come to their own conclusions. Also I would not just fall into dealing with one realtor and would explore all options available prior to making a purchase.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.