Costa Rica Resists GMOs

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica Resists GMOs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    sprite

Another reason to love this little country….

Latin American Communities Fight to Protect Heirloom Seeds From Monsanto

VictoriaLST

Sprite, I almost hate to start this up again, so I will limit myself to saying, ‘did you see the types of articles that “waking times” publishes?’ Mental telepathy; the spiritual nature of hair; the suburbs as ‘self-organizing labor camps’; understanding karma with yoga? Somehow I doubt that there is any real science going on here.

And I am not even going to mention GMOs.

maravilla

you’re a hoot, victoria!!! screw science. it’s been adulterated anyway by whoever has the biggest checkbook. Talk to a Native American about his hair, and if you’ve never practiced yoga, then you have no clue what you’re talking about (as usual!), and yes, mental telepathy does exist — just because you have no experience with it, doesn’t mean it isn’t valid. and the suburbs are the scourge of our society — they basically destroyed the fabric of American life.

and yes, right now, 61 (i think it is) cantons/municipalities have declared their area to be free of trans-genicos. there are rallies and marches and meetings taking place all over the country with the main affront headed by Bloque Verde which is run by Fabian Pacheco. Bloque Verde has a facebook page where anyone who is interested can get updates on what is happening area by area in Costa Rica.

VictoriaLST

As usual, you misunderstand. I am not poking fun at yoga – yoga is terrific for the body – I am poking fun at karma. As for mental telepathy, can you guess what I am thinking about your ill considered opinions? Ok, no telepathy needed for that one……

sprite

Victoria,

I celebrate skepticism as a healthy approach. But every single source of information has an agenda behind it so your criticism of the information based soley on source is invalid. If you have information which contradicts the article, I might disagree with YOUR source…especially if it is from a known liar such as US government or corporate news media.

Confirming validity of information is not an easy thing to do these days. Ultimately, we have to use our critical thinking capacities to make conclusions. Do you believe that Costa Ricans have no point of view on GMO crops?

guru

Forget the possible unproved problems of GMO’s.

The problem is MONSANTO. Most of their GMO’s are NOT designed for any particular improvement other than to be Roundup (weed killer) resistant. MONSANTO also sells the Roundup.

In Canada, US and other countries MONSANTO has sued innocent farmers who’s crops have been contaminated with pollen from their GMO’s claiming patent infringement. Organic farmers who’s seed stock has been ruined by GMO’s have insult added to injury by MONSANTO suing them. In Canada and the US the courts have stupidly supported MONSANTO in their patent claims. But even without the court’s backing the legal actions by the giant corporation year after year have put honest farmers out of business.

Mexico and Central America is the home of CORN. There are literally hundreds, maybe thousands of varieties. But allowing aggressive GMO’s into the region is an ecological disaster of major proportions.

Fight the problem with truth not imaginary unproven issues.

VictoriaLST

Thanks, Sprite. What I look for is articles based on factual scientific evidence and repeatable studies and published in reputable scientific journals. When I see a mass of articles such as those listed in “waking”, I have to be skeptical of both the articles and the source.

sprite

Have you asked yourself why anyone would take on corporate giants like Monsanto on this issue? What would the motive be if not that GMO’s are a danger to the species?

VictoriaLST

Motive? An inability to understand the complexity of the world leading to a sense of loss of control, of personal power? Luddites, conspiracy theorists, fear mongers don’t need much more motive than that.

sprite

[quote=”VictoriaLST”]Motive? An inability to understand the complexity of the world leading to a sense of loss of control, of personal power? Luddites, conspiracy theorists, fear mongers don’t need much more motive than that.[/quote]

All of the above are possible motives, merely guesses (not scientific analysis) on your part. I asked you to list them so that I could point out that your guesses as to motives are NOT equal the KNOWN corporate motives of of greed and hunger for power.

If anyone is presenting a conspiracy theory here, it is you when you guess at the motives of tens of millions of people. The motives of Monsanto are manifested in black and white and in action. The results of their actions are also manifested in black and white scientific studies. Their poison is prohibited in much of Europe.

maravilla

europe cast them out, as did india, peru and chile, oh, and bolivia too. many more countries have done it as well. in the ones that didn’t kick them to the curb outright they are forced to label this crap so at least you know what the hell you are eating and can make an informed choice. your insulting comments, victoria, about luddites, and conspiracy theorists, brings to mind this slogan:

the highest form of ignorance is condemning that which you know nothing about.

VictoriaLST

Then perhaps you could tout your scientific knowledge and enlighten me?

vache

I’d love to sit between the two of you at a corn roast.:lol:
    With a double rum in hand no doubt!

maravilla

No, I am not going to waste my time trying to enlighten you. You and I both know that there will not be one single study that I could present to you that would convince you of the dangers of GMO food. You will find fault with the methodology, the people conducting the study, the journal in which the study was published, or any number of a dozen other specious issues you will raise, not to make a cogent argument, but rather to obfuscate the issue. Unless you have been following the GMO disaster from the beginning, as I have, (starting in 1996!) you could not possibly be brought up to speed in one message on WLCR. I doubt you remember the GMO tomato that was taken off the market because besides being tasteless and disgusting in many ways, it made some people sick. Then came StarLinks corn, which was never ever approved for human consumption because of the Bt toxin that it contained – the very same Bt toxin that is now in all GMO corn. Thousands of people suffered allergic reactions, and who knows what other side effects, from ingesting this corn when it accidentally got co-mingled into the human food supply. And then there was the issue of spontaneous abortions in cattle and women who had ingested this corn in Mexico. Pay-outs of more than $1Billion occurred after this disaster. I think you just like to be contrary for the sake of being contrary. You cite science as the be-all and end-all when, in fact, anyone who has spent one lick of time researching these issues knows that scientists are paid all the time to present the corporate view that has a product at risk. The Seralini study was criticized by whom, Victoria?? By the corporate interests who stand to gain from GMO food. When you start following the money, you begin to see that even Univ’s such as Stanford are on the take and will put out whatever statement they get paid to create, as they did when they took an obscene amount of money from the right-wing org to say that organic food wasn’t any better than regular food doused in cancer-causing chemicals. So please, don’t ask me to do your work for you. If you cared about this issue, which clearly you do not even though your own health may be at risk, you would take the time to read the objections to the introduction of these organisms into the mainstream food supply. I am not a Luddite as you suggest. I am all for progress, but I do not want my food messed with; I do not want Monsanto to control the world’s food supply as they would like to do. And GMOs are not the answer to the food crisis, because #1 there is no food crisis — there is plenty of food; and #2 yields on organic farms are higher than on pesticide-laden GMO crops. But then you knew that, didn’t you? I take what I put into my body very seriously and I do not want some money-grubbing, psychopathic corporate entity taking my choices away from me so that can boost their bottom-line. The people who oppose this abomination are scientists themselves, and agronomists , and ecologists. They’ve seen the studies; they do the studies, they know the risks. They are trying to stop something that may be a danger to everyone, including YOU!!!

As for your comment denigrating yoga, reincarnation, and mental telepathy, I am sure the CIA would welcome your criticism and skepticism of mental telepathy, even though they spent millions of dollars and many years trying to find ways to incorporate mental telepathy into brainwashing techniques under the guise of their black-op MK-Ultra mind control project.

These four links will at least give you some background. I don’t expect that they will convince you of anything.

http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/36491/PDF

http://digitalcommons.wcl.american.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1204&context=auilr

http://www.organicconsumers.org/ge/ge_corn_starlink.cfm

http://www.startribune.com/local/143017765.html?refer=y

The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about yet refuse to investigate. Dr. Wayne Dyer

VictoriaLST

Wait, Vache, before I read M’s latest post, I need a share of that rum!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.