Costa Rica Residency/Citizenship Questions

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica Residency/Citizenship Questions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lceide

My family (Americans) lived in CR in the early 70’s and my brother was born while we lived there, however, we moved back to the states 3 years later. My brother, who is now almost 30, has applied for and received his CR citizenship.

From my understanding, my parents and younger (under 25, single) brother can also apply as they are parents and sibling of a CR citizen. My understanding is, because I am over 25 (ok, 39) and married, I can not apply through my brother.

However, my question is…if my Father applies and receives his, could I not then apply for mine through him (since the under 25, unmarried only seems to apply to siblings and not children of CR citizens. Anyone have an answer? Also, to complicate the question, does anyone know if CR still has a reciprocal agreement for citizens of Spain? Thanks

josefdez

Hi there:

Immigration Law states clearly that the benefit will apply only to parents and single brethern…

José Rafael Fernández
    Attorney
    iblawcr@gmail.com

lceide

Thank you for your prompt reply. I read the following information on an attorney’s website and based on my marital status (and I beleive age), through my brother, I would indeed be ineligible. I am not sure if the following is an accurate interpretation of the law, but if it is, would I still be ineligible even once my parents were granted citizenship? It does mention parents….

RESIDENCY BASED ON DIRECT FAMILY RELATIONSHIP WITH A COSTA RICAN CITIZEN

This regime grants a permanent resident status for individuals with direct family ties to a Costa Rican citizen.

For this regime to be applicable, one of the following relatives is required to be Costa Rican:

Spouse;
    Son or daughter;
    Mother or father;
    Brother or sister (in this particular case, the applicant must be single)

Thank you in advance for your continued expertise.

The reason for my asking…I am not ready at this juncture to relocate, however, although I can thankfully qualify under the pensionista or rentista (assets-wise) I am not relocating now and would not want to transfer those assets and apply at this time (plus, I won’t be there enough) I am worried that maybe by the time I am ready to make a move the laws may have changed.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.