Costa Rica relocation and retirement

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica relocation and retirement

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    nosredna

I will be visiting Costa Rica this coming May with the intent of retiring there by next year. I want to be located near the central/northern pacific coast. Any suggestions on where to start .Ron Anderson

Andrew
    Keymaster

Sorry! I cannot help you with travel plans but if you would like me to recommend a real estate professional to help you find a home or land, please visit and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can…

Scott

Andrew
    Keymaster

You said that “I am not interested in buying land or any type of property, at least not. I don’t even know where I would want to live. I’m only seeking advice on where to start for the purpose of relocating.”

** Please do me a favour and keep your replies here and do not start a new thread…

I would strongly suggest that you take a good LONG look around before making any serious decisions about living and retiring in Costa Rica.

I do LOVE this place but it’s NOT for everyone… And, since we do not know anything about you, your family and the things you all love to do, it’s simply not possible to make any kid of a recommendation as to which part of the country might be more suitable for you….

Scott

jenny

Start with Grecia it is has the best climate and it is a wonderful place to start. Grecia is centrally located. We have some of the friendliest people in Costa Rica in Grecia. So look up Grecia and more specifically the surrounding area of San Roque de Grecia on the internet. San Roque is a nice little mountain town 2 km from Grecia central.

JENNY ADDS

I sure agree with what Scott has told you. We have someone here now that has to leave because their spouse is sick and they need to be in the US. The medical care is cheap but they do not have the money. In the US based on their retirement income they could get some assistance and medicare pays medical cost for most things except for medicines. Medicare will not any medical expenses incurred in Costa Rica.

These people had the idea that if their home was paid for they could live on that retirement pension of $2,000. per month. Things happen, they got a loan on their property and now owe a mortgage because they needed money. Today they are trying to sell their property and move back to the US.

It is a forced sell, they will be blessed if they sell it.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Perhaps it would be more accurate to state that most areas with the same elevation as Grecia have very similar climates.

I like Grecia & Sarchi (and especially Trojas where I have walked with my dog on numerous occasions) but, it’s now very much “in the news” for both the Tico and the Gringo markets and I’m assuming real estate prices will begin to reflect that increased demand.

You can practically choose your own climate in Costa Rica by choosing the elevation.

Scott

maravilla

“The medical care is cheap but they do not have the money. In the US based on their retirement income they could get some assistance and medicare pays medical cost for most things except for medicines. Medicare will not any medical expenses incurred in Costa Rica.”

Why didn’t they get medical insurance when they moved to Costa Rica? This is a sad situation and one which I have pondered as my husband and I are planning to move to Costa Rica and we need to sort out medical coverage. We’ve decided that we wouldn’t go back to the states if there was a medical emergency; medical treatment is as good as what you get in the States for a fraction of the cost. Medical treatment is one of the top ten causes of death in America. I’ll take my chances in Costa Rica.

jenny

Yes you are right, about the medical assistance and the nonpayment of benefits for medicare overseas. So many other things come into play for people. Everyone has to experience it for themselves. You can not purchase the insurance you are talking about unless you are a resident. Just because people have been here a long time does not make them a resident. You would be surprised at how many people are here that are not legal residents.

Who can really say why a person is having the difficulty. I know two people that came to Costa RIca they had extensivie medical problems and they went back home. There reasoning was they could not afford it. They had not gotten their resident status. It takes some time to get the resident status.

If you know that you are going to make Costa Rica your home, just open your eyes to some very important realities that age brings on change.

Costa Rica affords the possiblity of having a lot of things most can not afford in the US. Round the clock nursing care in your own home is much cheaper then it is in the US. You just have to keep a little money back for emergencies. Good financial planning never needs to end.

Chica2006

Scott, how do all these Americans relocated permanently and kept their social security money from America?
    Maria.

maravilla

You do NOT have to live in the US to keep receiving Social Security benefits, even if you are collecting Social Security Disability. There are only a few countries in the world where SSA will not do a direct deposit to your account in another country (if you wish). The excluded countries are Turkmenistan, Cuba, and a few African countries. Otherwise, there are 200 countries that SSA works with to provide benefits.

Ken

Is there any problem collecting Social Security later on in life if you move to CR in your 40’s?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.