Costa Rica Real Estate Rule #1 for DUMMIES

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica Real Estate Rule #1 for DUMMIES

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    bradbard

Some people may not like this but I gotta’ say this straight up because I used to believe that deep down most people were intelligent but that was until a few years ago when so many MORE people started to buy real estate in Costa Rica without ever seeing it!

Been in Costa Rica real esatte sales and development for 15 years and here is my rule #1 for you folks

Rule #1

DO NOT EVEN THINK OF BUYING COSTA RICA REAL ESATTE WITHOUT VISITING IT AND CHECKING IT OUT THOROUGHLY FIRST!

You gotta be out of your tiny little mind to even think about buying real estate in Costa Rica WITHOUT inspecting it first.

Visit the land
    Stand on it
    Test it
    See it during the rainy season and the dry season
    Have your attorney check the ownership and check for problems

Why make your life complicated? Do your homework!

If there is a rule #2 it is

DO NOT EVER SEND MONEY TO ANYBODY TO BUY LAND IN ANY COUNTRY WITHOUT DOING THE STEPS ABOVE…

Jeez!

maravilla

Don’t be so logical! Didn’t you know that Costa Rica is like Malibu in the 50’s and you’d better buy something, anything, before there’s no more land or it’s so expensive that you couldn’t buy even one square meter! jejejeje

jasman

“Common Sense” is my favorite oxymoron. Common it ain’t.

kungfumasta

I agree, as I always say to people when it comes to doing business in Costa Rica, ¨the rules of common sense do not apply down here, and common sense is actually not such a common thing anymore¨. Always check ownership status, Always see the land personally or have someone check it out, several companies offer this service, they will go and check it out for you and even do the registry investigation. Also, you can now use one of the big title insurance companies to get the title stuff sorted out. If you don´t know anybody with contacts who can help you out with this just let me know, I´ll point you on the right direction.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I have to go you all one better. Certainly see and walk the property before you commit, but at least two more things are critical. First, have a trustworthy attorney research the property in the National Registry. If it’s not registered, run directly in the opposite direction!

Second, insist upon a new survey with clearly marked boundaries. If at all possible, be there when the surveyor does the survey. Know beyond any possibility of doubt that the property ” . . . runs from over here to over there and then down to there . . .”. I know of two or three cases where the representations of the seller or agent were seriously flawed. Once the sale is done, you have no recourse. See the boundary markings with your own eyes.

And have the new survey registered in the National Registry.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks goodness for the common sense that’s not so common.

Thank you – all of you – for helping me try to help educate and protect prospective real estate buyers in Costa Rica (our future neighbours perhaps) but, I have to tell you…

I have just about run out of energy trying to help “educate and protect” people about the common sense precautions one should take.

“Educating” and “protecting” may be a noble cause but, after a couple of YEARS doing this, it has become apparent that I can’t spend HOURS and HOURS per day helping others if they A: Don’t want to listen and B: Don’t want to be helped and it’s costing me a fortune!

But there’s nearly 1,000 articles on the site now so hopefully some people will read the advice and pay attention to it.

Asi es la vida!

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

PS. And don’t even ask how much I have spent on attorneys…

dhsbooker

Scott,
    Just a thought, but how about having to buy your book FIRST, for free VIP status to articles and discussion forums! I can only say that this discussion forum is by far the BEST for information out there. I for one would have no problem if their was a fee involved,(I did however buy the book) Please keep up the great work. Please don’t lynch me vip members LOL
    Debbie

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thank YOU too. I am thrilled that we have so many incredibly intelligent people who take time out of their day to give their feedback in this forum. There are some remarkable people living here in this quite remarkable country.

I do have a few different ideas about how to generate some income on the site but, the best laid plans of mice and men… For example writing and selling a book about Costa Rica real estate.

We’re selling a lot of books on Amazon but since I’m British and have not lived in the US for a zillion years and don’t have a US bank account, I have to route all my sales income through my ex-wife’s US bank account and she keeps it for my two wonderful children…

Printing thousands of books per year and shipping them to the US costs a few pennies… Maybe one day, when I’m all grown up, I’ll be able to keep a little bit too… 🙂 Maybe with the next updated DIGITAL version of my book.

Scott

PS. Your name brings back lots of wonderful memories as I was in love with a Debbie for many, many years.

maravilla

Erin van Rheenen says in her book “Living Abroad in Costa Rica,” regarding purchasing property, “If you wouldn’t do it in the States, don’t do it Costa Rica.” Just out of curiosity, who in the States forks out a huge sum of money in order to have the privilege of viewing property? Don’t care how legit the biz is, or whatever blah blah the developers spout, it seems like a really whacked out idea to me, but hey, what do I know?

Antonic

We love Golfito and are thinking of retiring there. We welcome any input on the area. Thanks. Ann

kungfumasta

An international airport is set to be built in the area, I heard it will be a larger runway than SJO. I guess they were looking at the Buenos Aires zone for its construction but there was something wrong with the land so they are looking around. This airport will bring a lot of improvement and infraestructure down south, and since its Arias pursuing this, I would take it as a given. Let´s just hope there are no potholes on it.

Edited on May 09, 2006 09:13

Andrew
    Keymaster

That’s not quite factual. They have not yet even determined the costs associated with building a new international airport so, we may say that they have certainly announced a ‘plan’ to build a new airport but, they have definitely NOT announced that they WILL be building a new airport.

You may wish to take a look at my article entitled “Costa Rica’s New International Airport to be Built in the Sierpe Valley – Maybe…” Which you can see at:

I have seen nothing that would suggest that Arias is “pursuing this” and can assure you that nothing is a “given” in Costa Rica, especially projects that will cost HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of dollars.

Scott Oliver

Antonic

thankyou scott for information re golfito and new international airport i lern abouth erlie i know if airport one day will be build the price in south costa rica will be high .
    Beside the building the airport how is golfito real estate,crime, secur to stay in golfito for retiement people ? we love more tropics living in florida for 13 years and 3years in australia we prefer golfito climate but we like to lern more abouth.we visith golfito in february 06 iscazu is perfect for people with money but we prefer more tropic thanks again scott antonic.

Scott. E-books is the way to go. I do NOT know particulars about it, but have bought quite a few, and have some contacts or sites that will show what I mean by e-booking it to $ ‘mana’ heaven…

The savings on cash flow, S & H, 24 hour availablity, not sitting on a shelf on consignment, taking a year to see a few bucks back for investing so much… I hope you are getting. Guess our second lunch or supper will be a working one. First is always get to know you fun…

When I am down there we can chat. I know a few things about publishing A-Z in a traditional sense, and give you an idea on how to legally bypass your x-wifes bank account, and still get the bucks into Costa Rica, legally.

See you sooner then you know to pick up my legal reading material when I am there. Should be e-booked!!! Downlaoadable from your site, certain groups specialize in handling these transaction…

PS Guys buy Scotts book! It is the most comprehensive concise one on the issue of Real Estae in Costa Rica and yes Scott there is competition out there, but you wipe their… ooopppsss sorry I just rememebered this IS a family friendly site.

PSSSTTT Buy a few copies for those you love, and want to live in Costa Rica with you for Holiday gifts, for those you do not like, send them the book, ‘Living in the Gulag’, by Frozen Stiff circa 1948…

PPS: I have written over 10 published books, and know a valuable read once I have read it! Scotts is a MUST read if you are thinking of just living in Costa Rica. And yes I have read three top books about Costa RIca, but this Scott’s is #1 for Real Estate in my books.

PPSS: Conventional wisdom and common sense indicate they need teachers called Think for yourself, and Life. Chao Chao. Ken

Edited on May 30, 2006 01:23

Edited on May 30, 2006 01:27

rahulthack

Please guide me to proper investigating company you mentioned. I know about Stewart Titles.
    Thanks
    Rahul

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.