Costa Rica on MSN

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica on MSN

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mediatica

I saw a few familiar faces this morning on the article titled “Americans fleeing the U.S” on http://www.msn.com (MONEY section). It was a good article which talked about Costa Rica and other areas as prime retirement destinations for Americans. Specifically, this article mentions a couple that moved from Florida to Flamingo Beach, Guanacaste and Tim Lytle-aka Tico Grande- a well known ex-pat who lives in the Central valley among others. Scott, I am surprised you were not interviewed for this news story!! 🙂

Becky

Edited on Dec 06, 2007 05:29

Andrew
    Keymaster

But like many people, you are under the mistaken impression that they interview real experts for their TV stories… Silly you! The TV companies interview people that will tell you the story that the TV companies want you to hear which – depending on the topic – is not always the truth…

I get telephone calls regularly from a variety of ‘media’ telling me that they want to do a story about Costa Rica and for only $10,000+++ they could feature me as their Costa Rica expert.

I explain that if that’s their primary focus I am not their man because I would like to be considered an expert based on my work and not on the fact that I have just paid them to tell their public that I am an expert when that may not be the case …

I’m too much of an ‘in-your-face-tell-it-like-it-is’ person to be invited as an expert for free but apart from that, 90% of my personal experiences in the past with TV and magazines have been truly disgusting.

They DISTORT anything they wish, get their facts very wrong (remember CNBC talking of Costa Rica being an ‘Tropical island getaway’) , SENSATIONALIZE the rest and will promise you everything so that you spend your valuable time helping them with their story and go back on all the promises they made you …

CNBC reneged on the promises they made to me IN WRITING when I spent days helping them with their TV show, the Kiplinger letter included the wrong website address for me and Business Week didn’t even mention my name after I met with them and they featured the other people I recommended they speak with but omitted any mention of my site, my book – the only book available about Costa Rica real estate – or me.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

mediatica

Scott, I went to school to be a reporter…so I know that not all we see is the ‘truth’, but rather what the media wants us to believe. “Gatekeepers” anyone?
    That is really interesting that some media want to charge YOU to be on their show? How insane! If they are truly a reputable source, they will listen to what you have to say and air it, unedited…but I guess that is asking too much. The one thing this story did mention was that while Costa Rica is popular, some are choosing to go to Nicaragua and other ‘cheaper’ destinations. We would be naive to think that Costa Rica is the ‘only’ place people should consider retirement. Having said that, CR is still my favorite, but I guess I am biased.

Andrew
    Keymaster

The percentage of people going to Nicaragua (and Panama) is minimal compared to Costa Rica but then again, I believe there are for more Gringos in Mexico than Costa Rica

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

sprite

I flushed the U.S media down tho toilet years and years ago. I still read some of the tripe they put out as a source of amusement.

sprite

I always wondered why americans would chose a place like Mexico over Costa Rica. Generally speaking, any of the negatives an american might find in Costa Rican culture or in Costa Rica itself have to be multiplied by a factor of ten when talking about Mexico. Corruption, crime, over population, poverty, bad health care and poor education and even bad weather make me wonder what advantage Mexico could possibly have over CR.

On the other hand, I am thankful all those expats are NOT coming to CR. It’s getting crowded enough as it is down there.

1 Unless you are flying from Florida, Mexico is usually a shorter flight.
    2 There are many communities of ex-pats living together so it is more familiar ( for many that’s important)
    3 There is more English spoken there by the locals, so it is easier to get things done (gardening, housekeeping, etc.)
    Mexico is a large country so not all areas have bad weather like the Gulf coast. I have friends retired there who enjoy golf and other “American ” pastimes and they are easy to find and inexpensive.

Really, there are lots of reasons why people retire where they do. “Corruption, crime, over population, poverty, bad health care and poor education and even bad weather”
    It’s not only Costa Rica that has these benefits you know! Ha ha!

Alberto

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.