Costa Rica – No Standing Army

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica – No Standing Army

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    sprite

No army, standing or otherwise. Costa Rica is the only country on the planet which has a constitution banning the formation of an army. There are 23 countries listed which do not maintain a standing army. Many of these are hardly even countries; ie Lichtenstein, Monaco, The Vatican City. The rest of them have defense agreements with larger neighbors or maintain “defense expeditionary forces” and Iceland, which claims to have no army, is even a member of Nato.

None of them have banned armies in their constitutions or articles of nationhood….except our little Central American country, Costa Rica. And none of them are as well known for their dedication to peace. As an American who feels completely disenfranchised by his country’s government, Costa Rica has given a real boost to my flagging faith in this world. Whatever negatives exist in the Costa Rican model, whatever failings in its government’s plans or execution of plans, Costa Rica has a solid moral base to its existence. This leaves no room for any estimation of the people as in any way inferior to other cultures. In fact, it makes the Costa Rican superior is every way that really matters.

cdoerr

Not true…Panama abolished its armed forces through presidential decree in 1990 and in 1994 amended its constitution to prohibit the creation of a standing army…

sprite

The Panamanian public forces still have strong warfare capabilities. A rose by any other name…..

Aaronbz

This is one of many things that attracts me to Costa Rica. Here in Canada our government is getting increasingly warlike, and the rhetoric and propaganda is being revived again. It’s quite disheartening really. We have just finished our annual Remembrance Day observances and as usual it’s nothing but a Victor’s Banquet that still tries to glorify war or at least justify it as a solution to international conflicts. What I like about the Costa Rican model is the way this is proving to the rest of the world that this can be done, that it is possible to establish and maintain peace through means other than the barrel of a gun. In fact, I would go as far as to say that any peace that has to be militarily enforced is no peace at all, because it lacks justice and voluntary good will. War is the ultimate failure.

scottbenson

Its cute that you think that Costa Rica is superior because of the issue of no army. How ever you forget that if any thing happens with the boarders from the north that the United States would step in to assist with Costa Rica which is in a treaty.

Many people will say that because CR dosent have a army, they have more money to put into schools and health system. How ever this is not true, the school system is badly needing funding and the health care system is over run with forigners and is draging CR down.

As for the military in general you don’t see how the U.S. military has help with programs in CR and if it wasn’t for them many projects would not haven gotten off of the ground. You don’t see how the boats, airplanes and many other tools have been donated to CR from the U.S. military for drug interdiction. If they didn’t have the U.S. helping them out they would just let the drug runners continue with out blinking a eye. You can think what ever you want, but CR is greatful for the support that they recive from U.S. military!

By the way, when will you render your U.S. passport?

Aaronbz

Um…, hey, Scottbenson, I’m not sure if you really read my message. I don’t have a U.S passport. I’m Canadian. I didn’t suggest that Costa Rica is “superior”, simply that I like their global example of building a functioning society without a military. Yes, they still have problems funding education and health care and social programs but they are, by their own admission a poor country, and they have done admirably well with so little to work with, and can you imagine how much worse off they would be if they had to support a standing army as well. As for your other claims, would you be willing to provide some links so I could verify them?

rebaragon

Hey Aaronbz, You know how much I love CR so you will know that I also hated seeing plenty of US planes, CIA operatives and all sorts of shenanigans (remember the Iran-Contra Scandal?) going on in 1982 and beyond in the CR-Nicaraguan border because in spite of CR’s supposed declared “neutrality”, the US and the Contras used CR as a military base for their incursions and attacks on the Sandinistas. You might want to look into how the NOW Guanacaste Int’l Airport started out, hmmmm????? Of course, you can imagine that CR was pretty well pressured to comply and since they are a small country, well…the rest is history. However, their lack of army DOES mean that they will NOT be the ones attacking Panama, Nicaragua or any other place for their own self interests–which is a mighty temptation for any country with an army at its disposal…Pura Vida!

maravilla

What’s with you and this constant harping about people surrendering their passport because they don’t agree with your militaristic stance, or the fact the the US has spent nearly one TRILLION dollars on a useless, illegal war in a country we should never have invaded. Imagine how our own school system could be improved, along with healthcare, if we weren’t funding this awful war??? Imagine how much worse off it would be in CR if they did fund an Army? Sheesh. You war mongers scare me, as does your lack of grasp about what we’ve done in various parts of the world.

Edited on Nov 17, 2007 13:55

Alfred

Costa Rica is an example for the rest of the world by not having an army. They only did it so their own government would not be taken over militarily again. Do you think it is really ever going to catch on? I Don’t. With all the knucklehead crackpot dictators, religious fanatics, and other maniacs in the mix, it is almost impossible to disarm. If countries would only use their military for national defense, that would be a great situation, but we all know it is never going to happen.

Armies have been one of the world’s constants, from biblical times to the present. I can’t see any possible way they would ever disband on a global level.

rebaragon

Sad, but true Alfred…Yesterday I had lunch with Natasha, a Serbian refugee from the war in Bosnia, and the stories are so excruciatingly similar. Real people being tortured, killed and incarcerated. Real families being torn apart. Real ethnic and cultural groups extracted from their ancestral homes because some lunatics thought they had the RIGHT to oppress groups of people they had labeled the OTHERS and everyday human beings from both sides were caught up in the process. Hateful things we rationalize doing to those “OTHERS,” especially when you have the military capacity to do it and get away with it…

Alfred

Always was that way, always will be, Rebeca. There are times, when military force is needed and justified. Unfortunately, the military is used all too often as an expeditious way to achieve a goal.

We will never completely remove the military, or the threats that require its existence. New challenges constantly being brought forth by the world in which we live will see to that. It is wrong to condemn all protective forces. They are a necessary evil. Could you imagine the possibility of the US not having a standing army? Costa Rica can do it because they know the US would intervene if they were invaded. A Tico last year told me as much when I posed the question of who would be expected to come to CR’s aide in the event of attack. He said, why of course we expect the US to respond. He said it in a way that almost had a hint of pride. Not for the fact that CR is taking it for granted, just that the friendship between our two nations is that strong. My opinion is that there are many Ticos that have a sincere friendly nature toward the US, as far as people our are concerned. Their opinion of our government, is another story.

scottbenson

Sorry Aaron, but when I was talking about the passport it was in general. As for the other claims I know this because I know the people that are involved. I Know of many projects from wells, to the boats that were given. If it wasent for the U.S. military the ticos would not have the capabilitys to catch the large shipments that they have in the last two years.

scottbenson

The reason why I keep harping is because it is a valid opinion. If a person is willing to move to a foreign land and set up shop because they are so oppressed from their home land and think that life is so bad then they will not return to the home land. Some Gringos like to make statements but they won’t back it up with action, why not give up your passport do you want to go back to the U.S.? Is it because you use it as a safety net just in case something happens in CR and you feel you are unsafe? Are you a fair weather fan like I am with the Vikings? Do you have your heart with the U.S. or Costa Rica? For me, when my wife and daughter and I move to CR after the next two years, I will be asking why do I want my U.S. passport since I will be setting roots in CR. If I feel I won’t be traveling to the U.S. I will give it up and just get a tourist visa or something because my allegiance won’t be with the U.S. it will be with CR. I don’t expect the U.S. to come and save me like the U.S. citizens in Lebanon a couple of years ago.

As for the U.S. school systems and health system, well there is no difference between before the war and now. In Minnesota the education system was eating up over 50% of the budget, today I believe it is down to 48% and it is the largest employer in the state. The school system is used to getting a blank check and funding retirements and benefits with out any opposition until recently because they are a large factor of the budget.

If you think I scare you look at the liberals and see what happened prior to 911, that scares me!

rebaragon

Scottbenson, Two things: First, Liberals where not in charge when 9/11 happened, the information was there and it was an extremely conservative administration that swept it under the rug or were just plain blithering idiots about it–NOT LIBERALS! Second, I don’t know where you’re from, but you really need to read up on the basics of how and under what concepts the United States was created. If people that live, work are born or naturalized US citizens question the unjust and dishonest acts of an administration engaging in a ruthless and unsupported war (by facts and the people of this country), it’s because we fully understand the rights and responsibilities entrusted on us by the Founding Fathers of the US——Something that you just can’t seem to get a grasp on. Have you ever questioned any authority besides when you were an adolescent and it was just an issue of being contrary? If you haven’t, I submit to you that ALL should be questioned and when put thru not only reason, but the burden of proof, then you can make an informed judgment and not before–Patriotism for the sake of patriotism is blind and the only thing I want blind is JUSTICE! As far as the expats that might not live, work or be US citizens, well, we all share the same planet so US aggression directly or indirectly affects them too. Besides, they also happen to be endowed with intelligence and can & should express views about injustices they have observed and perceive. This is in NO way done to negates the good things (under whatever pretext they were done…) that many nations have benefited from US cooperation regarding infrastructure, etc. I have included quotes from 3 of the US Founding Fathers so that you can understand that NONE of them would have been asking us for our passports, but they may be questioning YOU as to why the HECK you are NOT living up to your duties as a US citizen (if your are a US citizen??) and as a general human being of good conscience in any case. (BTW, there are other threads that have other wonderful Jeffersonian quotes you might want to read and ponder. There is so much more I could add, but I need to get other work done. In case you were not aware, these men are considered some of this countrY’s greatest minds and Ben Franklin was a wonderful and prodigious scientist who had great perseverance, but little patience for people that refused to listen with an open mind…):

THOMAS JEFFERSON:
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference.

Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories.

I know of no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them but to inform their discretion.

Where the press is free and every man able to read, all is safe.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.

GEORGE WASHINGTON:
    Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

Laws made by common consent must not be trampled on by individuals.

The basis of our political system is the right of the people to make and to alter their constitutions of government.

The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon.

Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light.

War – An act of violence whose object is to constrain the enemy, to accomplish our will.

When we assumed the Soldier, we did not lay aside the Citizen.

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN:
    All mankind is divided into three classes: those that are immovable, those that are movable, and those that move.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Where liberty is, there is my country.

Wise men don’t need advice. Fools won’t take it.

Who is wise? He that learns from everyone. Who is powerful? He that governs his passions. Who is rich? He that is content. Who is that? Nobody.

Observe all men, thyself most.

Distrust and caution are the parents of security.

Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God.

Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged, by better information or fuller consideration, to change opinions, even on important subjects, which I once thought right but found to be otherwise.

How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.

Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don’t have brains enough to be honest.

Half a truth is often a great lie.

*Lotus

Anyone has the right and duty as a true patriot to be critical of there country when they feel something is not right. And when “we the people” stop being critical and blindly accepting what ever they dish out; then you me and everyone else is in a whole hell of a lot of trouble. Scott as a representative of “OUR” military please have the courage and faith to truly believe in democracy and our Constitution to vehemently defend our basic rights of freedom, no matter how contrary to your own beliefs. And on another note it just sounds plain silly when you tell folks to give up there passport, for Christs sake you sound like a redneck saying “love it or leave it”! The supreme court has protected the rights of Nazi’s, the Klan and many other groups in our country without telling them to give up there passport and leave.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.