Costa Rica – Lowest homicide rate in the region.

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica – Lowest homicide rate in the region.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

From the most recent State of the Region report, Costa Rica remains the country with the lowest homicide rate in the region.

If you check the most recent Deaths of U.S. Citizens Abroad statistics compiled by the US Department of State from January 2010 to the end of December 2010 you will see that the number one cause of “non-natural” deaths for US citizens in Costa Rica is suicide followed by car accidents.

The green line at the bottom is for Costa Rica …

From

[ http://www.misfinanzasenlinea.com/documents/Informe_Estado_Region_2011_BAJA.pdf ]

As you will know from my articles like ‘US Citizens Murdered in Costa Rica – 0.016438356616 American citizens slaughtered daily in Costa Rica in 2010’ at

[ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/3024.cfm ]

…. the chances of a US citizen being murdered are extremely low (unless you’re in the illegal drug trade of course)…

Scott

GEEGEE

Sorry Scott,

Information I think I could live without or of no
    importance!!!!
    I dont think your readers are in the Drug Trade.

gg

Andrew
    Keymaster

Crime might be of “no importance” to you GG but crime in general is one of the most discussed topics in any Discussion Forum about Costa Rica living…

Scott

GEEGEE

I guess they have way to much PURA VIDA on their hands.

Crime is everywhere, I dont know about killing ones self. The States are no better nor worst in C.Rica in my opinion. Like the states, it all depends where you live.

Liberty City, Miami or out in Wellington,WPB? BE SMART AND WHERE YOU PICK TO LIVE, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.

I leave my home here in the states for months and dont have a problem….. Same in C.Rica. Precautions and being smart.
    I wouldn’t be telling anyone in this chat or any other place that I am going on a trip next week to say, Manuel Ant. or Jaco….

That is NOT SMART and a big mistake on face book and these internet chats, especially when you are paranoid of people stealing from you already.

I prefer to be more positive than paranoid with where I am
    living and the people I am living around.. Good neighbors that look out for one another is my choice.

I know you have to address all issues but just a fyi, not my favorite in your discussion form. 🙂 :).

Thanks, gg 🙂

[quote=”Scott”]Crime might be of “no importance” to you GG but crime in general is one of the most discussed topics in any Discussion Forum about Costa Rica living…

Scott

[/quote]

maravilla

crime is the hottest topic always on any message board dealing with costa rica. it doesn’t help you though to know that the murder rate is the lowest in a whole region if your house just got cleaned out by a band of ladrones. yes, some places are better or worse than others, and i know lots of people who have never had any problems at all here, and i also know a lot of people who have been burglarized, or even victims of serious bodily harm. it has nothing to do with too much pura vida — if only.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Unfortunately, it is not wise to to pretend that there isn’t [i]ladrones[/i] around us, possibly including some of the nice neighbors and ‘sweep it under the carpet’. That would be foolish.

smekuly

Scott

love your stats :D:D:D

its comparing apples to oranges my friend

your using stats as if we all are to assume they are valid when you darn well know.. each country has its own way of accumulating and storing information. and the reliability of each country would have to come to question.

its very much like the ICT tourist stats and how they can be manipulated to say whatever they want it to say :D:D:D:D:D:D

so stats and comparisons like this are just for entertainment purposes.

here is one fact

I just purchased my very own 12 gauge shot gun. and made some modifications to be able to handle 9 rounds plus 1 in the chamber :):):):)

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”smekuly”]Scott

love your stats :D:D:D

its comparing apples to oranges my friend

your using stats as if we all are to assume they are valid when you darn well know.. each country has its own way of accumulating and storing information. and the reliability of each country would have to come to question.

its very much like the ICT tourist stats and how they can be manipulated to say whatever they want it to say :D:D:D:D:D:D

so stats and comparisons like this are just for entertainment purposes.

here is one fact

I just purchased my very own 12 gauge shot gun. and made some modifications to be able to handle 9 rounds plus 1 in the chamber :):):):)
    [/quote]

As you can clearly see, they’re NOT ‘my’ stats… If you have more factual or accurate stats please feel free to provide them for us smekuly.

Here’s another fact…

I carry a 9mm Glock – NOT because I’m concerned about violence against me by Ticos – but because of all the total ass**le Gringos who have been ripping off tens of thousands of their fellow countrymen over the last ten years who I’ve been writing about and who have repeatedly threatened me and my family…

And, I should point out I have been forced legally to remove about half of those articles… NOT because they were incorrect or not factual – they were – but because it was made clear to me that they would have tied me up in court and it would have cost me at least US$50,000 to “defend” myself …

But I am delighted you find the stats “entertaining.”

Scott

PS. Is modifying a shotgun legal here?

maravilla
    Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”maravilla”]http://www.insidecostarica.com/dailynews/2012/february/17/costarica12021702.htm[/quote]

Please feel free to include YOUR comments and not just include a URL in the Discussion Forum…

The article states:

“The Central Valley (San Jose, Heredia, Alajuela and Cartago) was the focus criminals, victimizing some 22.1% of the families. The second most affected region was the Huetar Atlántica (Atlantic region) with 22%.”

I wonder how many of our VIP Members plan to retire in a typical Tico home, in a typical Tico neighbourhood in San Jose, Heredia, Alajuela, Cartago or in Limon?

Where they probably walk everywhere – because they don’t have the money to buy a car – or they take the bus?

Based on the tens of thousands of emails I have received over the past ten years, I would suggest maybe 3%?

What do you think Maravilla?

Scott

maravilla

the article does state that crime stats were higher in urban areas than in the campo. i know one tico family in cartago that had an armed home invasion, with the kids and wife pistol-whipped and locked in a bathroom, and their house ransacked and everything of value stolen. this was a middle class family. and what was stolen? laptops, plasma TV, jewelry, etc. aren’t there lots of gringos living in heredia, alajuela, and san jose? does the article imply that ticos are more victimized than gringos? i don’t know, but it seems that the crime rates for the tico population are quite high. and burglaries do occur in the campo — when the ladrones make a sweep up here, they hit both gringo AND tico houses.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I can hardly dispute the articles that have been cited or maravilla’s comments immediately above, but I’ve got to add that crime of all types is common virtually everywhere. If there’s a place in North America or Europe where there is no crime, that could only be true if there are also no people. If there are people, there’s going to be crime.

The question, I believe, is whether the rate of crime in that part of Costa Rica where one is considering settling is lower, the same, or higher than wherever one lives now. And, if the rate is higher, by what factor? And are the tradeoffs worth the exposure?

No place is perfect.

maravilla

crime comes in waves here — certain areas will be burgalrized until there are no houses left that haven’t been robbed. the little pulperia near us was held up at gunpoint the other day. i know of three different burglaries that have happened between friday and yesteray. there have been other burglaries in areas adacent to us — and it’s not just gringos getting hit — the ticos are victims, too. everyone says it’s the illegal nicas working in the chicken factories. the cops do nothing. the migra does nothing. and as prices continue to rise crime will increase exponentially. now with the robberies on buses, that isn’t even a safe mode of transportation anymore. sheesh.

Doug Ward

It just makes you want to go beat the Hell INTO a priest.
    I don’t know one single person, Tico,gringo or ??? that hasn’t been ripped off in some way or another.The reason Latin America ( and Italy) are loaded with lying thieves has one cause. Catholicism. The biggest farce ever foisted on mankind and likely worse (in ways) than Islam.

Looks like the state dept edited that chart so you can barely see “Evul” Nicaragua is on par with CR. Talking with expats in Nicaragua I think overall crime itself is far lower in Nicaragua than here. Probably because they have REAL police and courts as opposed to the circus here.

Andrew
    Keymaster

The big – and EXTREMELY negative – news out of Nicaragua this week is the recent multi-million dollar property seizure:

[ http://www.elnuevodiario.com.ni/nacionales/241945 ]

Any North American “investor” considering buying or investing in any kind of real estate in Nicaragua will most likely change his/her mind after seeing this news and..

Any North American who has already bought real estate in Nicaragua will now have a great deal of difficulty selling at an attractive price…

Scott

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.