Costa Rica is the most popular “eco-friendly” destination

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica is the most popular “eco-friendly” destination

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    maravilla

greece may still be affordable, but forget italy. and france. italy would’ve been our first choice given that my husband’s family still lives there, but unless you have at least $3000 a month just to get by, life would be dismal there. all his family complain bitterly how expensive it is — maybe things will go back to normal when they ditch the euro. i would’ve chosen the south of france, personally, but again, way too expensive compared to how it used to be when i lived in france years ago. now most of those places are only for the very rich. there are still some parts of italy that are affordable, but those places would be way out in the countryside without all the things you say you miss. the intellectuals there are the truffle hunters with their beloved pigs!! jajaja

[quote=”maravilla”]greece may still be affordable, but forget italy. and france. italy would’ve been our first choice given that my husband’s family still lives there, but unless you have at least $3000 a month just to get by, life would be dismal there. all his family complain bitterly how expensive it is — maybe things will go back to normal when they ditch the euro. i would’ve chosen the south of france, personally, but again, way too expensive compared to how it used to be when i lived in france years ago. now most of those places are only for the very rich. there are still some parts of italy that are affordable, but those places would be way out in the countryside without all the things you say you miss. the intellectuals there are the truffle hunters with their beloved pigs!! jajaja
    [/quote]

Around 1989 or 1990, I almost took off with a Brit, whom I adultered with 25 years earlier. He bored me, though, but I thought Provence was flat enough for me to bike around. If he womanized. I’d manize. Read all the books on Provence and its truffles.

Good lord, my crazy past. Good thing I have lots of memories. They make up for what is lacking now.

Yes, I’d been hoping Greece would pull out of the Euro thingaling.

In Italy, I like Tuscany. Another possibility was around Bologna and the University.
    Dreams, dreams, dreams.
    Barb

juliab

Agree with Maravilla, but have to point out that rural Italy is CHEAPER than CR at the moment. We spent 3 weeks there last summer. I was truly surprised just how affordable it was (the rural part, same on the French side).

The only question I have is why would you, Barb, want to move from one 3rd world country (CR) to another (rural Italy is as close as it gets to 3rd world)? It just doesn’t make any sense.. you’ll waste your money and precious energy. Rural Italy is full of EXACTLY the same problems as CR (the ones you’re trying to escape).

For those trying to bash Barb, why? She’s made her mind. Good for her! Go ahead, Barb, do what is best FOR YOU.

[quote=”juliab”]Agree with Maravilla, but have to point out that rural Italy is CHEAPER than CR at the moment. We spent 3 weeks there last summer. I was truly surprised just how affordable it was (the rural part, same on the French side).

The only question I have is why would you, Barb, want to move from one 3rd world country (CR) to another (rural Italy is as close as it gets to 3rd world)? It just doesn’t make any sense.. you’ll waste your money and precious energy. Rural Italy is full of EXACTLY the same problems as CR (the ones you’re trying to escape).

For those trying to bash Barb, why? She’s made her mind. Good for her! Go ahead, Barb, do what is best FOR YOU.[/quote]

Thanks, Julie.
    I’ll let you all know what it’s like where I end up.
    Barb

maravilla

some of us might follow you!!! jajaja

[quote=”maravilla”]some of us might follow you!!! jajaja[/quote]

That would be funny, meeting folks in Greece whom I couldn’t meet in CR.
    Barb

DENISEINSD

Dear Barb
    i read all the replys and was sad to see how lonely it can be.
    it is easy to say you have to make your own happiness but harder to do
    you sound depressed and living in the memories.
    i don’t envy your position and moving may be your answer but seems like you are chasing the past and sad about the present. What you need are friends not lovers. Someone to talk to, not romance you.
    At 77 life is too short to go looking for happiness. Make your own…..where ever it may be but be real about what you need to make that happen

I’ve heard that positive and rational thinking is the best antidote against irrationalism, wishful thinking, unhappiness and unintended consequences…

maravilla

If you really want to see an eco-friendly resort, check out Finca Luna Nueva. This article is in today’s Tico Times.

http://www.ticotimes.net/Weekend/Travel/Natural-living-at-Finca-Luna-Nueva-Lodge_Friday-July-13-2012

MNolson

Im new to this forum, but I have spent a lot of time in Costa Rica.
    Why is there soooo much trash in the jungles and the streets if Costa Rica is so Eco Friendly. I have been to the parks in San Jose area and there is dog poop all over and heaps of trash.

One day I went in the jungles near a place called La Carpentara and I had seen so much trash that such as tires and stoves.

Are Costa Ricans Eco or just the tourist?

agarcia

The “Eco-friendliness” is largely marketing hype. There are areas fairly clean and Eco only due to the lack of people. Tico’s dump trash wherever they can. There is no public wastewater treatment plant in the entire country. Sad sad sad but a reality. Hopefully it can be turned around but it will be a long journey.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.