Costa Rica Health insurance coverage

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica Health insurance coverage

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I understand that if I become a resident, I can get the basic health coverage without any pre-existing clauses. I have a pre-existing condition and can see three possible ways that this might be handled:

1. Would I be able to buy into either the government upgrade or private insurance and still have the pre-existing condition covered under the basic health plan?

2. Or would I be able to buy into one of these plans and then not have my pre-existing condition covered under the basic plan?

3. Or would I not be able to *buy* into *any* health insurance and be left with the basic plan only?

Thank you in advance!

Andrew
    Keymaster

I certainly can not answer this question MarilynSunshine and I honestly don’t know if we have anyone on the forum that can…

If you would like me to recommend a health insurance experts – someone who understands the local INS insurance coverage as well as private health insurance just email me

His English is OK but not perfect!

Scott

andres

1You can apply to Government”Caja del Seguro Social (social security ) is the public health service they include all preexisting conditions.
    2 INS( Instituto Nacional de Seguros) insurance normally doesn’t accept you if you had pre existing condition it depend
    3 Private( American & European) normally you receive full coverage without the pre existing condition but only the pre existing condition, temporally or definitively (It depends) but you can get discounts up to 70 % on treatment related to the condition

As you see it depend on the condition

regard
    Andres
    insurance expert

Thank you very much, Andres!

I want to be sure I understand what you’ve said:

1. I can get the basic coverage for everything including the pre-existing problem.
    2. I *probably* won’t get the upgraded national health policy at all — even for everything but the pre-existing illness; however, it depends upon the condition.
    3. Private companies will cover me, but exclude the pre-existing condition either for a specified period of time or permanently; but I can get discounts for the treatment of the condition.

Is this correct? If so, if I were to go with #3, would I still be able to be covered by the Social Security plan for the pre-existing condition while covered for everything else privately?

andres

Correct

you can Apply to Seguro Solcial only if you have legal residency they will include all pre-existing conditions.
    You can apply for an international private insurance without legal residency only whit your passport

Scott gave you my phone
    don’t hesitate to contact me if you have further questions
    best regard

Andres
    Insurance Expert
    call me an we can schedule an appointment

Thank you, Andres. Right now I’m in the “gathering information” stage. I’ll call you when I’m getting close to making a move so that the information will be up-to-date. 🙂
    ————————–
    Correct

you can Apply to Seguro Solcial only if you have legal residency they will include all pre-existing conditions.
    You can apply for an international private insurance without legal residency only whit your passport

Scott gave you my phone
    don’t hesitate to contact me if you have further questions
    best regard

Andres
    Insurance Expert
    call me an we can schedule an appointment

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.