Costa Rica for a month with a one year old

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica for a month with a one year old

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    JUMI

Hello,

We are a family of 3 (me, husband + 1 year old) planning a trip to CR Feb. 2011. I’d like to stay for a month and get a sense of the culture. Because we will be traveling with our 1 year old son, I am wondering if there is something I should know beforehand, or be concerned about. Any recommended vaccinations? Tips? If you traveled with a small kid, please share your experience. Thank you!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Please see ‘Kids in Costa Rica – Child Safety Is Crucial!’

At: [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/279.cfm ]

Forgive the following language but, as my Sergeant Major used to say…

“Don’t assume anything!”

Because when you assume…

You make an ASS out of U and an ASS out of ME… “A-S-S-U-M-E.”

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Pauldthomas

We brought our 2 year old triplet girls 2 years ago and were fine. We rotated who would watch them. The girls loved playing on the beach and in the water and going everywhere that we went. Just use common sense and watch your 1 year old. We are planning another trip with the girls but this might be more of a challenge now that they are 4!
    Have fun, you will love Costa Rica!
    D Thomas

plasticbrad

We have a 5 yr old and 14 month old. We have been living here for nearly 2 years. Your 1 year old will probably eat a few more bugs than would be in his normal diet, otherwise use common sense and have fun. Diapers, wipes and food your child will like are easy to find and he will be a great natural icebreaker to meet new friends.

waggoner41

[quote=”JUMI”]Hello,

We are a family of 3 (me, husband + 1 year old) planning a trip to CR Feb. 2011. I’d like to stay for a month and get a sense of the culture. Because we will be traveling with our 1 year old son, I am wondering if there is something I should know beforehand, or be concerned about. Any recommended vaccinations? Tips? If you traveled with a small kid, please share your experience. Thank you![/quote]

Check with the Costa Rican consulate to find out if there are any requirements. When we originally came to Costa Rica there were several required vaccinations or injections. We didn’t bring children with us.

As Scott said “Don’t assume anything.”

DavidCMurray
    Participant

We didn’t have any special vaccinations, wag goner. Who told you that you did? And what were those vaccinations?

grb1063

No vaccinations required, just passports, which are only good for 5 years for minors and the fees recently went up significantly. You keep your eyes on your kids at all times just as you would in the US, however, I believe CR is much safer for children since the penalties are 15 years minimum.
    I think the biggest concerns are water dangers (surf and rivers can easily kill an adult), sun protection and insect repellent (Burt’s Bees natural)/insect monitoring (scorpions like to hide in backpacks & shoes).

waggoner41

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]We didn’t have any special vaccinations, wag goner. Who told you that you did? And what were those vaccinations?[/quote]

Note above. We asked the Costa Rican consulte in LA but we didnt travel until September 2006.
    Regulations change so fast down here that I advised them to check with the consulate.

The only one I remember was for dengue.

costaricafinca
    Participant

The main thing would be to monitor the amount of heat and sun, making sure the baby doesn’t get dehydrated.
    And make sure you have an insect repellent that is recommended for babies, such as Avon’s ‘Skin so soft’.
    Don’t presume you can buy it here

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”waggoner41″] The only one I remember was for dengue.[/quote]

There’s a vaccine for dengue fever?? That’s news!

JUMI

Thank you everyone for your responses.

rosiemaji

There is no vaccine for dengue fever. There are, however, very strict new regulations regarding proper car seats for babies and children. The fines for not having a car seat or for not having the proper car seat are very high (maybe as high as $500) just like all of the other new fines that were imposed on March 1st of 2010. If you are going to be renting a car or riding in a car, check with a Costa Rican consulate in the US to find out what you need to bring in this regard for your 1 year old.

plasticbrad

[quote=”rosiemaji”]There is no vaccine for dengue fever. There are, however, very strict new regulations regarding proper car seats for babies and children. The fines for not having a car seat or for not having the proper car seat are very high (maybe as high as $500) just like all of the other new fines that were imposed on March 1st of 2010. If you are going to be renting a car or riding in a car, check with a Costa Rican consulate in the US to find out what you need to bring in this regard for your 1 year old.[/quote]

Very good point about the car seat…you may be able to rent a car seat when you rent a car. Be sure to ask.

Pauldthomas

[quote=”plasticbrad”][quote=”rosiemaji”]There is no vaccine for dengue fever. There are, however, very strict new regulations regarding proper car seats for babies and children. The fines for not having a car seat or for not having the proper car seat are very high (maybe as high as $500) just like all of the other new fines that were imposed on March 1st of 2010. If you are going to be renting a car or riding in a car, check with a Costa Rican consulate in the US to find out what you need to bring in this regard for your 1 year old.[/quote]

Very good point about the car seat…you may be able to rent a car seat when you rent a car. Be sure to ask.[/quote]
    We brought our own car seats. Our girls sat in them on the plane to Costa Rica and then we had them for our trip.
    Just make sure you ask to board the plane before the other passengers with the car seats. We didn’t do that and that didn’t go over real well. If you take the seat on the plane you will be charged for a seat other wise your 1 year old can sit on your lap. Check your airline on what age they start charging. We had the girls sit on our laps to Costa Rica and decided to use the car seats on the way home. It was a much better flight home! We arranged our flights at night which was also better for the girls. Carrying 3 big car seats everywhere was a pain but worth it. I would also suggest using an umbrella stroller. It was so helpful in the airports! I carried on their bottles and snack food and toys and everyone was really helpful. The Ticos love children and they will be very helpful if you need anything even if you don’t speak much Spanish!
    Good luck,
    D Thomas

costaricabill
    Participant

Both my son and daughter have visited with the youngest of their kids being under one year old. No special requirements except passport. Each of our kids have a stroller (for gate check at the airport) with a car seat that snaps into and out of the stroller, so that worked great for the plane and the car after they got here. Strollers these days are multi-purpose and fold into several configurations. I am confident that the instructions demonstrate how it can be unfolded into a small raft or even a bar-bq grill!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.