Costa Rica Driver’s License

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica Driver’s License

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    paula1

Is it necessary to be a resident of CR to obtain a Costa Rican driver’s license?

Thanks
    Paula

Andrew
    Keymaster

I don’t think much has changed since this article was written ‘Costa Rica Driving License – What do Expect?’ at [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/422.cfm ]

You’ll also find some useful more info at [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/cfmbb/messages.cfm?messageid=B65D5B3D-24E8-5ED2-F10C28BD9CB25AD2#B65D5B3D-24E8-5ED2-F10C28BD9CB25AD2 ]

For example:

“Costa Rica will issue driver’s licenses to those who are here on a tourist visa even if you’re here just a few days. You do not have to be a citizen or a legal resident.

What’s more, if you are here for more than ninety days (perhaps while your residency application is pending) you are *required* to get a Costa Rican license. If a Transito cop stops you at a roadside checkpoint and sees from your passport that you’ve been here more than ninety days there’s a substantial penalty if you do not have a Costa Rican license. And then the driver’s license office will give you a bad time, too.”

paula1

Thanks Scott, Paula.

Andrew
    Keymaster

If you are going through this process yourself Paula would you PLEASE make some notes and let us all know if this process has changed at all?

paula1

Yes, I will…Paula

costaricafinca
    Participant

I thought that this rule had changed and that now, one is required to be a legal resident.

waggoner41

[quote=”paula1″]Is it necessary to be a resident of CR to obtain a Costa Rican driver’s license?

Thanks
    Paula[/quote]
    I have had my documents in Migracion since August 2008. No residency yet but I obtained my CR drivers lisnece last March.

fincatenorio

[b]Don’t do it yourself [/b],unless you have LOTS of time on your hands to wait in line all day. We are ARCR members and received ours with their help and employee guide they provided. Yes, it costs a bit more going this route but believe me!!, it’s worth the extra money going this route.

maravilla

oh, come on, all day in line??? i did my driver’s license myself in august. took the bus, got off at hospital mexico, took a cab to the DMV, waited in line for about 10 minutes before they herded all the gringos to a separate line, went upstairs and answered a few questions, walked to the bank inside the compound and paid my fees, went back and had my photo taken, and got my driver’s license 5 minutes later. total time for the entire transaction, including two hours on a bus — under 3 hours!!!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Yeah, that pretty well reflects our experience, too, except for the part about the separate processing for gringos. I do think, however, that some days (maybe some days of the month) are busier than others. Since everybody puts off chores like getting their driver’s license, it might be well to go early in the month.

orcas0606
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”]oh, come on, all day in line???

Me too Maravilla. I went to San Ramon with the Bank paid ahead of time and I was in and out in 1/2 hr. Picture taken and in the regular line like a Tico. Couldn’t believe it. This was two years ago.

maravilla

the renewal thing is pretty easy in san ramon. my experience was about going to La Uruca to get my FIRST license.

costaricafinca
    Participant

We, too, did it on our own, and wasn’t there very long either. And this was 9 years ago, the for the original license.

waggoner41

[quote=”maravilla”]the renewal thing is pretty easy in san ramon. my experience was about going to La Uruca to get my FIRST license.[/quote]
    I went to Uruca for mine, first license, and had it in about 30 minutes. Seems like “all day” is pretty much nonexistent.

Even Migracion has improved. Even though it has been 16 months in process, I rarely spend more than 30 minutes each time I am there.

jdocop

post removed due to risk of offending forum members.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.