Costa Rica Attorneys

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica Attorneys

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    diego

I’ve used first CR title and trust and they charged me $1,700 of a $3,000 retainer I deposited with them. When I contacted my usual attorney and asked what the price would be for the due diligence they did, I was quoted $250!!!! I demanded an adjustment and this was a 100 acre project with quite a few lots (20)and a lot of opportunities for them to make income. They would not budge, I demanded my retainer back and they gave me $1,300. They have a bunch of junior attorneys running around for them and they charge $125 – $150 an hour for it. Ridiculous for basic due diligence work at the registro publico. I think they suck (and I am being nice). I suspect the above post is a plant. I do not know anybody except high rollers with money to burn that has been satisfied with them.

mysticmaiden

Well I win! After duly slandering this lawyer to anyone who would listen and having the Embassy and Casa Canada calling on my behalf; lo and behold I got all my documents back, the crooks didnt even file my birth certificate! I also got an apology and am told I will receive a complete refund. My advice: Don’t be frightened off by crooked lawyers threats of lawsuits for your slander, speak up, get mad, and get action. If this law had any weight I am sure they would have tried to stop me, but obviously it doesn’t.

diego

Bravo, Maiden, Bravo – now lets see if you get anything more than lip service – and if they are really going to refund your money. When you cash the check let us know, then its really a done deal. You are not through yet.

Ripple33

Mysticmaiden, Scott is correct. Slander is a very serious offense. Please tread lightly with this. Glad you got things worked out but please use caution when bad mouthing anyone in CR. I agree that you should be able to say anything you want but the fact of the matter is the law does not see it that way. What I have found that works well for me is to find out references for people that you deal with in CR. Talk to others that have dealt with the people you are interested in doing business with. Take everything with a grain of salt and formulate your own opinions. Lots of folks will say things about others because they have a vested interest to protect. Talk to lots of people and go from there. I have had great luck with Garland Baker who has steered me in the right directions for many things that I needed to get done in CR. He is at costa rica expertise next to the Grand Hotel in San Jose. Very knowledgeable on many different aspects of CR law and how to make things happen in CR.

mysticmaiden

Okay Ripple let me see if I’ve got your advice. Not only can I get scammed by con artists, then I can’t talk about it and warn others?? That is exactly what the criminals want right? Sounds like the Cosa Nostra to me! That kind of passive tolerance makes the crime rate what it is today in Costa Rica…hence the legislation. Sorry I’ll take my chances and did. My references included my government and prominent North American organizations in this country. If that law had any teeth I would have been charged by now because the people I told called the lawyer on my behalf. Methinks its just another tactic to put up and shut up.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Unfortunately that is correct Mystic Maiden, all sorts of scumbags can waltz all over Costa Rica ripping people off for HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS and it’s you and I who have to be careful about what we say about them.

I have faced this on a number of occasions and when you’re sitting face to face with the most powerful prosecutor in Costa Rica and he’s being paid by people who are quite comfortable paying MILLIONS OF DOLLARS to shut you up or, if not DESTROY you, you have to listen up even though every fiber in your body is SCREAMING – “This is not right!”

FREEDOM OF SPEECH DOES NOT EXIST ANYWHERE! Get used to it because it’s not getting any better.

And you would not imagine how careful I am in the things that I write but like most legal things in any country it’s never crystal clear what you can or cannot do…

On advice from my counsel – this article has been removed… I have removed quite a few over the years…

It is a wonderful world isn’t it?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.