Costa Rica and mosquitos

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica and mosquitos

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    davidd

Hi Guys

ok now the rainy season is upon us and along with that are the mosquitoes.

and I don’t mean the bigger easier to catch and kill mosquitoes it’s the little pesky ones that seem to come out at night when your sleeping and you awaken by the buzzing by your ears :D:D:D

and they deploy thier assault throughout the night.

aside from a net

does anyone have any good tips to eliminate these little buggers

thanks

CHRISTINE

We had screens installed on our jalousie windows.

barbara ann

the bad mosquitoes are during the day, they are the mosquitoes that spread dengue, the female is the carrier. At least that is what we were told at the hospital when my husband had dengue fever. tey told us and you will think I am crazy that they bite about 4-6 o’clock in the afternoon and I guess they are the smaller mosquito. look on the internet, I bought plants that are native to costa rica that repel insects including mosquitos and put them around the pool and entrance to the house. go to the nursery and ask, they are inexpensive and you can pot or plant them in the ground.

What is the name of the plant ?? I will buy at least a dozen ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

We have a horrible mosquito invasion this year :evil:, our rental house is surrounded by plants and this is where they hang out until you open a door or window so they can get in and keep you awake all night with their concert and nailing you to death. Our house is semi-open and we have to keep all bedroom doors closed to keep most of them out (not to mention the tropical heat in the rooms, no airconditioners !!). I use that stuff you plug in and also spray before going to bed, probably killing myself little by little, but at least I can sleep.

Could anyone share info on a “no-see-um” bite. Is it just a BadAss variety of mosquito, or the CR equivalent of a chigger? It leaves a itchy knot on the body. I went into a pharmacia in Cartago, and was given a choice of a $5. cure or a $60. cure. Guess which one I tried? It turned out to be some type of menthol oil with asparin, but it did quiet the itch. The welp went down a few days later.

My wife attracted a different creature that bites in the Chirripo area (no, that is not a body part)…northeast of San Isidro del General. Could someone over an amatuer diagnosis from the oft-bitten? Would any of you long-time Gringos promise us the hope of eventual immunity? What about amnesty?

barbara ann

there are citronella plants. we found a lemon grass which is supposed to work. go on the internet and take a pic to a vivero and they should be able to show you plants.

[/quote]

costaricafinca
    Participant

I spray any bite with Windex window cleaner! Sure takes away the itch. Even on those ‘itsy bitsy’ ants ๐Ÿ˜ˆ with the [b]huge[/b] teeth, that bite your feet when in the garden.

[quote=”costaricafinca”]I spray any bite with Windex window cleaner! Sure takes away the itch. Even on those ‘itsy bitsy’ ants ๐Ÿ˜ˆ with the [b]huge[/b] teeth, that bite your feet when in the garden.[/quote]

Any type of alcohol helps. Just scratch the skin open a little bit and put it on, it burns for a second and then it is o.k.

[quote=”puravidatexan”]Could anyone share info on a “no-see-um” bite. Is it just a BadAss variety of mosquito, or the CR equivalent of a chigger? It leaves a itchy knot on the body. I went into a pharmacia in Cartago, and was given a choice of a $5. cure or a $60. cure. Guess which one I tried? It turned out to be some type of menthol oil with asparin, but it did quiet the itch. The welp went down a few days later.

My wife attracted a different creature that bites in the Chirripo area (no, that is not a body part)…northeast of San Isidro del General. Could someone over an amatuer diagnosis from the oft-bitten? Would any of you long-time Gringos promise us the hope of eventual immunity? What about amnesty?[/quote]

There are chiggers (coloradillas, mostacillas) which are baby-ticks (larva). They sit in whole bunches on leaves and grass, once you walk by you pick them up. It looks like dust on the clothes, but the dust moves “south” slowly in search of the softest and tastiest body parts. When I go out to see the horses I spray pants and boots with “Baygon” or similar stuff. The chiggers still get on the pants but then fall off. When they are stuck to the skin it itches for 2 weeks, even if you get them off.
    There are tiny little flies (pocones) that come out late afternoon. They are tiny black dots and by the time you feel the bite they are gone, leaving a red dot on the skin.
    And the regular mosquitoes of all brands (dengue and others).
    Repellent helps for those (Spray or cream, available in grocery stores).

davidd

Oh yea those pocones.. those little rat bastards LOL they come out at dusk.. and it’s bite creates a little crust scab that if it falls off too early it gets infected and becomes worse. itches like a mofo

I wonder what Obama uses for these scenarios :D:D:D:D

this country is blessed with the tiniest insects that can leave large welts

I just bought a device that supposed to last 2 months and it cost me $11 bucks.. its a new product out here

lets see if this works.. I wanted to use my glock but the cost of ammo is too prohibitive

last night was terrible with these mosquito and I have screen windows. I can only imagine if I was an open area.. forget it

i can never find them during the day only at night..

bbzzzzzz bbzzzzzzzz.. and now they feast on this beautiful chubby body of mine ๐Ÿ™‚

and I wake up with 10 to 15 little bites

[quote=”elindermuller”][quote=”puravidatexan”]Could anyone share info on a “no-see-um” bite. Is it just a BadAss variety of mosquito, or the CR equivalent of a chigger? It leaves a itchy knot on the body. I went into a pharmacia in Cartago, and was given a choice of a $5. cure or a $60. cure. Guess which one I tried? It turned out to be some type of menthol oil with asparin, but it did quiet the itch. The welp went down a few days later.

My wife attracted a different creature that bites in the Chirripo area (no, that is not a body part)…northeast of San Isidro del General. Could someone over an amatuer diagnosis from the oft-bitten? Would any of you long-time Gringos promise us the hope of eventual immunity? What about amnesty?[/quote]

There are chiggers (coloradillas, mostacillas) which are baby-ticks (larva). They sit in whole bunches on leaves and grass, once you walk by you pick them up. It looks like dust on the clothes, but the dust moves “south” slowly in search of the softest and tastiest body parts. When I go out to see the horses I spray pants and boots with “Baygon” or similar stuff. The chiggers still get on the pants but then fall off. When they are stuck to the skin it itches for 2 weeks, even if you get them off.
    There are tiny little flies (pocones) that come out late afternoon. They are tiny black dots and by the time you feel the bite they are gone, leaving a red dot on the skin.
    And the regular mosquitoes of all brands (dengue and others).
    Repellent helps for those (Spray or cream, available in grocery stores).[/quote]

Talia2001

We rented a house right downtown in Atenas, next to a field, covered with weeds and unsightly shrubs. Also they had cows and horses grazing there. The windows had no screens and we suffered tremendously from the mosquitos until I discovered if you put on the ceiling fan in the bedrooms, the mosquitos left you alone. I guess it was too cold and windy for them. It got rather cold for us too, but I was rather cold then be digested by these little buggers.

bogino
    Participant

[quote=”davidd”]
    does anyone have any good tips to eliminate these little buggers[/quote]

Move to Alaska?

orcas0606
    Participant

You ain’t seen mosquitos until you have been in Alaska!!!!!

quote=”bogino”][quote=”davidd”]

Move to Alaska?[/quote]

waggoner41

[quote=”davidd”]Hi Guys

ok now the rainy season is upon us and along with that are the mosquitoes.

and I don’t mean the bigger easier to catch and kill mosquitoes it’s the little pesky ones that seem to come out at night when your sleeping and you awaken by the buzzing by your ears :D:D:D

and they deploy thier assault throughout the night.

aside from a net

does anyone have any good tips to eliminate these little buggers

thanks

[/quote]

Try planting any of these around doors, windows or any other area you want to enjoy.
    Citronella
    Horsemint
    Marigolds
    Ageratum
    Catnip
    Basil
    Cadaga Tree: Eucalyptus torelliana
    Catmint
    Clove Tree
    Lavender
    Lemon Balm
    Lemon Grass
    Mexican Marigold Mint

[quote=”bogino”][quote=”davidd”]

Move to Alaska?[/quote]

From what I have heard the Mosquito is the state bird of Alaska ๐Ÿ˜†

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.