Costa Rica and CAFTA

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica and CAFTA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    fionabbb

I’m no political expert but seems to me that the NAFTA did NOTHING good for the common Mexican people but did help the US multinationals and richest Mexicans to get richer and from what I can see, the same will apply for the Free Trade Agreement that Costa Rica is planning on doing with the USA?

The US multi-nationals will accelerate their to rape and pillage of the Costa Rican markets and we all know that most Costa Rican agricultural products don’t stand a serious chance against the US products in their markets.

One of my Tico friends puts it this way: “We’re screwed if we don’t sign it and we’re screwed if we do sign it.”

Comments?

Fi

maravilla

Paul Volcker stated in 1993, regarding NAFTA, “Trade agreements are not about trade at all. They are about the expansion of the New World Order and globalization.” One of the reasons we have so many Mexican immigrants in this country is that the multinationals gobbled up the little farms, displaced the residents, and took away their ability to grow their own food and sell what was left over at market. Take a look at India — in some places they have the highest suicide rates EVER because the agribusinesses came in and took the land and now those little farmers who were growing their own food are now working for ADM and growing cotton. You can’t eat cotton! Costa Rica is indebted to the IMF and World Bank. Those two monsters will hammer the administration until they sign on to CAFTA. it will be the kiss of death for many of the small farms in CR and the markets will be flooded with GMO crops, something we should all rail against. Look what the IMF and the WB did in Argentina, Ecuador, and any other place they have their tentacles. I hope it doesn’t happen, but the multinationals will make sure that it does because they don’t care about anything except money.

chicmac

Thank you for that comnforting thought… And thank you Mr. Volcker – Unfortunately, that’s also how I feel.

I know a number of people in the agribusiness here and they are terrified of the time (which they are convinced will come soon) when we will have a serious worldwide blight (accidental or deliberate) because in the past we used to have hundreds of varieties of different crops, now only a handful of different bananas, rice and other grains.

Should someone accidentally or, purposely infect one of those staples, then we could be facing hundreds of millions of deaths due to starvation but, Hey! Ho! That would also fit in well with the depopulation goals of some of the neocon loonies.

The next disaster du jour perhaps?

Either that or some other form of biological problem because blowing up buildings is just too expensive and contarry to the Wall Street Journal’s musings the US economy/US dollar is in deep shi… already.

If you have a bio-terror problem then the big pharmaceautical companies make even more money than the US$7 billion of the tax payers money they have been given to fight the “bird-flu” that has killed what? 112 people?

Far more people die every year of the regular flu for goodness sake

Since regular flu kills about 36,000 people each year according to the CDC, maybe they could give me the equivalent in dollars to research a cure for that which would be about US$2,247,000,000,000

Oh! But that’s right, they still haven’t found cure for the common cold, or the flu and they won’t find one for avian flu either!

I just get more mad about this every damned day and I’m trying to relax here.

maravilla

It’s time to start hoarding seeds that are not genetically modified ( something I’ve been doing for years!) I fear for the future of CR crops if the farmers don’t start boycotting the GM grains they will be forced to buy from the multinationals. Besides the devastation to the local CR farmer, we don’t even have any idea how ingesting those GM products will affect our longterm health. it can’t be a good thing, and in almost every processed food product where corn (or soybeans)is an ingredient, those grains are GMd! In Mexico the multinationals created a frankenfood that causes women to abort and men to become sterile if they ingest that particular strain of corn. UGH! It’s why I’m going to start growing my own food in CR. on my last trip I managed to get my huge bag of organic seeds through customs — and I plan to collect the seeds from those plants for future plantings. No frankenfoods for me!

chicmac

But hey baby! This is all by deliberate design.

1. We had colonies at one time and then
    2. We had economic colonialism (you gotta’ read Confessions of an Economic Hit Man and if that still didn’t work…
    3. We intervened and in many cases helped to overthrow democratically elected governments and now we have
    4. Genetic and agricultural colonialism and soon to be total reliance on the US and ADM for all grains and many farm animals because some moron allowed them to patent some of Mother Nature’s seeds and creatures.

There is no hope, I have no doubt that the human race led, pushed and provoked by the USA will destroy the planet and therefore itself within the next 25-50 years.

disser420

Chicmac & Others,

Wow! I cannot believe there are people on this discussion board with this point of view.

I, SADLY, AGREE WITH EVERYTHING WRITTEN HERE!

My wife and 2 children are leaving the US for Costa Rica in November for many reasons, including everything in this discussion.

Our goal is to create an organic self-sufficient farm. Solar power, rain collection & purification system, composting toilets and cabins to offer a camp for college-age Americans & others to learn about self-sufficiency. Would this type of businees qualify for investor residency status?

Any suggestions for preparing our move would be appreciated. All we will be welcome to join our adventure.

Thank You,
    Jeff H. (Connecticut, USA)

maravilla

Some of us are NOT asleep at the wheel. One only has to look at the scenario to see that escape has become necessary. I joke that I hope I get out before they close the borders with this fictitious avian flu, but maybe it isn’t really a joke at all. I regard Costa Rica as a safe haven and hope that it will be protected from the infringing elements. It’s probably wishful thinking, so I’ll just hole up in my mountain retreat and garden with all those seeds I brought. LOL BTW, I read Confessions of an Economic Hit Many a couple of years ago. It reinforced everything I had already thought to be true but couldn’t really prove.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I admire your goals and wish you every success in your venture but as you probably noticed from my reply to your other posting, I doubt very much that this would qualify you for ‘investor’ status but don’t listen to me!

Get advice from a qualified immigration attorney who might be able to get you a ‘tourism’ type residency… It’s too darned complicated for a mere mortal like me to give immigration advice.

Scott

*Lotus

For all the radicals on the board(lol) you may want to see if you can get a copy of “future Food”, I have not seen it yet but have read and heard many good things about it.

maravilla

I’m afraid to read it for fear of what they have planned for our food supply. I’m determined to stay as far away from adulterated food as I can get and that includes anything in a package that’s been processed or modified in any way. Worse yet, in Costa Rica margarine and Omega-6 oils are in everything, so I’m almost forced to grow and prepare my own food to insure it’s purity! LOL

*Lotus

worse yet it’s a film!…Lol. Just stick to fresh produce and fruits and some fish…keep it simple. I wonder if the small farmers are useing a large amount of pesticides? Ignorantly I thought the cost would be prohibitive to them?

guru

CAFTA:

Without the US this would be a good deal for Central America where most of the countries are on an equivilant economic level and have the same problems. But add the US to the mix and all fairness is myth.

The big problem Costa Rica will have is that the majority of its revenues come from import taxes (just as did the US’s prior to WWII and the Income Tax). CAFTA seeks to remove most of those import taxes. This will force Costa Rica to tax something else and in the meantime there will be an economic mess.

The fact is that Globalizing forces have hurt Costa Rica and they have begun to fight back. The move to reforest with indigenous species is a big step in that direction. It is the result of the World Bank saying cut trees, raise cattle. . . then to stem the errosion and flooding. . reforest using North American fast growers. . . another disaster that on top of everything else LOOKS stupid. This is Central America, NOT Idaho.

Years ago National Geographic published an article about Costa Rica titled “Cost Rica stears the middle path”. The title refered to its politics and economics. I think Costa Rica is enough different, and enough better than the rest of Central America that it should continue to seek its own way.

Edited on May 16, 2006 14:04

HELP REQUESTED! During my first trip to Costa Rica, I met a well-to-do Costa Rican who read an exceprt from a manuscript I wrote, my friend brought with him to read. After reading it she asked me what other books I was working on.

Now, a like mind calls out to you, for your help, so we may help the fine folks of Costa Rica, my soon to be new home, in a way you will be surprised. READ ON:

I showed this fine Costa Rican ‘translator’ woman, the 100 words I just wrote, and told her the story line of this spiritual romantic thriller I was writing, incuding the ending.

She gasped. “IF YOU WRITE IT, IT WILL BE A bestseller! You do not speak Spanish. How did you know we are just starting to talk about what you wrote?”

Well that was February 25, 2006. March 1, 2006 started writing it in earnest, April 18th completed 75,000+ word draft. This is my 12th book, 10 prior ones were non-fiction. My old literary agency in New York City handles foreign sales mainly. And this is beyond their scope.

Test readers stunned by the story. It is a fictionalized tale based in truths (aka Michael Creighton, John Grisham, Irving Layton, etceteras – No I am not them), yet feels real, makes them laugh, cry and…want to stand up and take action.

As I read this board, know the truths in it and the book, the solutions I wrote, and how readers become emotionally engaged and transformed by it. For the first time in my life, and I have had many better reasons to reach out before, I am reaching out to you to help me, help Costa Rica. How? READ ON…

Scott, my lawyer Roberto, George Lundquist and the Costa Rican who does translation and for some reason loves the styles of writing I do, will be getting the unedited drafts. It goes to my professional editor end June 2006, when I leave to complete the paperwork for my residency status in Costa Rica.

This month I start searchng for an American Literary Agency to handle all the requests and this and prior books, and suddenly one, now two executive producers want to option 2 books and the play I did a draft treatment of, based on a complex, book, I will not release, just yet. Why am I posting this info HERE?

I am overwhlemed. I am a creative, and do what I do best, and need a NEW solid American Literary Agency who will see the incredible value in this book and my other published successes + literary projects under development. More importantly the VOICE it gives these wondrous Costa Rican people and country, before it is too late.

Guys, the power of 7. Networking. Those of like mind may email me.

I will email you the proposed book cover text and first few pages. I have a few agnecies I am considering, but YOU may know a legitimite solid agency in California or NYC, who can handle this and the numerous published reference, non-fictiion and in progress spiritual romantic thrillers works. I will insert my e-mail in the excerpt I send you, so you can forward it on.

As the Costa Rican protagonist woman in my book says, “Si Dios quire. If God wills it. Gracias a Dios. Thanks to God.”

curlyonecurlytwo@yahoo.com

Please insert “From WeLoveCostaRica Lit Agent Possibility” in the subject line or it gets tossed. Too much junk mail.

PS Yes Scott, one voice, one person, one word, can have profound affects upon humanity. It is the basis of Chaos Theory, Einsteins work, The Butterfly Affect and so much more.

You see Scott, you are here, because the universe willed it. And I thank you for being you and doing what you are doing. See you soon. Keep on making a difference.

Chao Chao,

Kenny – That 54+ year old, single guy, with a compelling book, The Ultimate Power, you asked me to bring to you. Yes, the guy with a stench of… ooopppsss I mean sense of humor, and you sensed his integrity so I captured your attention and you started goggling me, to find out I really had written 10 books. But did you know a Mexican publisher translated one of them? A Turkish publisher the one, unsolicited by me, that you asked to buy, and I am bringing you your copy?

Edited on May 17, 2006 03:38

Edited on May 17, 2006 03:39

Edited on May 17, 2006 03:42

Edited on May 17, 2006 03:44

Nothing happens by chance.

curlyonecurlytwo@yahoo.com
    Edited on May 17, 2006 03:36

Edited on May 17, 2006 03:44

jasman

Maravilla,

Exactly where does one obtain all-natural, non-GM seeds these days? I’m sure there must be a reliable source. Care to share that information? Please?

I just found this site, that lists suppliers of natural seeds by state/country. None in Costa Rica, alas.

http://www.greenpeople.org/seeds.htm

Gotta love google!

Maravilla, I would still like your input of course.

Edited on May 17, 2006 12:13

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.