Costa Rica 4X4 Car Rentals

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica 4X4 Car Rentals

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    rdg123

Anyone done business recently with “Rent a 4×4 in Costa Rica”..they offer a flat rate that covers rental,taxes and insurance?
    Operated by a guy named Dean from the US

Gitchesum

We returned in May, and used his services for the first time…before that we rented from the bigger rental agencies…I am returning again in July , and have already contacted Dean to rent again..one of his compadres met us at the SJ airport with the car, and a phone card…car never let us down..we returned it to the airport, and left the keys in the back, so all in all it was a very easy deal for pickup, and return…

ssure

I rented once from this company about 6 months ago and would never rent from them again. The car was in very poor condition and delivered not as promised. It was the worst rental experience I’ve ever had. Anywhere!

To be fair, when I complained there was an offer on the table to give me a few days free rental next time I would rent from them. However when I told them I would not rent from them again but would like a few days out of the 10 (I think it was 10 days) refunded, there was no further communications from them and I didn’t get any money refunded.

Since then I’ve rented from the larger well known companies with no problems and just a little more money.

For me it comes down to do I want the extra worry and stress just to save a hundred bucks over 10 days? I’d rather cough it up and have a worry free visit.

happygirl

We have rented from Dean, twice, and have been very satisfied with both the car and the service. So much so that we are renting again from Dean next January. Of course one must remember that this is a Geo Tracker, not a Lincoln, but it is great for driving around Costa Rica.

grb1063

We rented from them once and would stick with the regular rental car companies with new, dust free, reliable vehicles with working A/C and live batteries. Was not worth the minimal cost savings.

DENISE

Last yr we rented from 4×4….never again ,,,bad experience that is too long to get into
    but my recommendations are
    1. rent something with a hard top….soft top Geo does not allow u to leave anything in car for fear of theft
    2. pay with a credit card….if anything goes wrong, your cc company can help u

jrego

We rented from Dean in January. The Tracker had seen better days a long time ago but what are you expecting for $35.00 a day? It got us to where we needed to go and back again. I tried to rent from Dean in May but he didn’t have any vehicles. I am coming back in September and I will try to get one of his Tracker’s for this period. If you are looking for a big American SUV which are spotless, then be prepared to pay premium rates as they are available. If you only want to spend $35.00 a day on a car that will get you around CR, Dean has the car for you.

hummer

Regarding renting from Dean: We rented a 4X4 in 2/06 for 2 weeks. By the end of the 1st day it needed replacing, which was done in timely fashion. However, the replacement was comperable to a white knuckle express, you needed to hang onto the steering wheel. Once we drove on a put holed road for about 9 km and when we got back on gravel it stopped the vibrating. But that only lasted for a half of a day. So it really depends on how much you want to pay out. 35 bucks a day will get you a tracker/junker that invites theives as the canvass top also lets the rain in.

However, the theory behind his non hassle rented arrangements can be applauded. Obtaining the vehicle was indeed hassle free.

*Lotus

Go to dollars online site for CR, get yourself a nice new Yaris. Depending on the season or specials they are having, I have paid as little as $220 per week.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The roads in Costa Rica are a varied lot. Some are just fine; others awful. That said, unless you plan to do serious offroad driving, you almost certainly will not need a 4×4, so Lotus’ advice about the Yaris is good. For almost everyone, a comfortable sedan will do just fine.

diablo

Gotto agree with Lotus, I rented a Yaris with full insurance for the $220 figure this spring. Took it down to Playa Zancudo, up and over to Drake’s Bay, across I don’t know how many rivers, got lost in the mountains on roads I had my doubts that it would make it–but back in Jaco with no problems–except the front plate fell off somewhere.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.