Costa Developers – 17 homes shut down

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Developers – 17 homes shut down

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

I am a property owner with Costa Developers (Costa Montana – i am not sure what the name of the company is at this point).

A friend in Costa Rica just forwarded me this link from La Nacion showing that they have been shut down by the government. What can you tell me about this?

http://www.nacion.com/ln_ee/2008/marzo/12/pais1458923.html

watchdog

I saw a local news clip yesterday, that said that the Costa Rica Environment Ministry (MINAE)had shut the project down, due to the prospect of land slippage during the rainy season. The Ministry’s position was that the engineering and the installation of infrastructure for surface water run-off, had not been done satisfactorily.

Andrew
    Keymaster

So if I understand the article correctly, there are 17 homeowners who have bought the land, made significant investments in building their own homes here on one of the 164 lots on the property and are now stuck with a home that A: They can not live in and B: A home that they will not be able to sell…

17 homes multiplied by – let’s say $250K’ish – is an overall investment of approximately US$4,250,000 – Would this be the definition of “losing your shirt,” do you think? Or is the shirt just badly, burned whilst being ironed?

Do you think that these homeowners wish that they had listened to the various ‘cautions’ that were given about this project and the people involved with it years ago on this website?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

I drove from Belen to Costa Montana this morning, March 13, 2008, to conduct an inspection of a new home under construction for a client from Virginia. I have been there before and have always been impressed with the quality and cleanliness of this development project.

I do not own property there or have any interest in this project, other than inspecting property and construction for those who are owners or want an inspection of a lot or home prior to closing the purchase.

I read the posting and article about this project being shut down, but that is not true.

The friendly and professional guard greeted me as before, and directed me to the club facility to wait for the architect, Dulce Lopez, who accompanies me to the construction site of my client. This morning we drove up to the building site and everything was normal, with work in progress on several other construction sites.

The gentleman that I conducted an inspection for today, is retiring this year from a USA government job in Virginia. I imagine he has the resources to uncover improper business affairs of individuals that cross his path abruptly. He is delighted with the project and the Costa Development staff and is looking forward to moving into his new home in Costa Montana later this year.

From the construction I have witnessed on his lot, as well as the excellent infrastructure that has already been completed in this project, I see no reason why his home will not be completed as scheduled.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I have adjusted the Discussion Forum headline to reflect that there are 17 homes that have been stopped and not the ‘project’ or are you saying that La Nacion has this all wrong?

After reading the La Nacion article, I was hesitant to make the two hour drive to the project. However, the architect assured me that I would have no problem completing my inspection. I was expecting to see CLAUSURADO signs or yellow tape or something to indicate that the project had been stopped.
    FACTS:
    I was there for an hour and I saw nothing different from my last visit.

I was admitted by Costa Developers personnel, like before on other visits.

I saw no government vehicles or signs.

I saw construction workers working and the building contractor’s vehicles were moving building materials from one site to another.

After 15 years of business experience in Costa Rica, I’m accustomed to believing very little of what I read or hear and about half of what I actually see. Pura Vida!

jmorberg

I received an email from CD yesterday and some permits were not present at the site and that the problem has been resolved and conducting business as usual. The news article was vary vague and not specific other than that construction on 17 homes were suspended.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Sorry but this is getting confusing.

I am not sure how much more clear (rather than vague) the La Nacion article could have been.

Was construction on 17 homes “suspended” or not?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Texas

Vague is what is Costa and Paragon and the rest are.

lisle55

I have been to the project on multiple occassions as I have people contacting me on a daily bases to re-sale there lots. The roads in this project are scary. Anyone that is saying different is out of there mind. I had to put it in 4X4 to go up a paved road. There where some lots that I could only get to by dirt road. There is alot of potential with this project but the infrastructure is not complete. I really hope that they can put it together as we need more single family home communities in the area.

gcengineer

I just got a call about doing some wastewater engineering on this project.
    This guys owns two lots and it looks I will be designing a treatment system
    to clean the water to secondary standards, and then use a part of this treated
    water for subsurface irrigation.

Wish me luck!

Edited on Mar 19, 2008 07:34

Andrew
    Keymaster

The main Costa Rica newspaper again featured an article today on the closure of three projects in Quepos & Parrita

http://www.nacion.com/ln_ee/2008/marzo/19/pais1467474.html

MINAE informó que residenciales en Quepos y Parrita dañaron ambiente

Tribunal clausura 360 condominios

En un proyecto se construyeron 36 casas cuando el permiso era para 6

Autoridades estudian el cierre de más complejos habitacionales
    Juan Pablo Carranza | jpcarranza@nacion.com

El Tribunal Ambiental ordenó ayer clausurar tres proyectos habitacionales en Quepos y Parrita por causar daños ambientales a su alrededor.

Los proyectos “Costa Montaña” y “Hermosa Vista”, en las cercanías de Jacó, más el residencial “Hills of Esterillos”, en Parrita, comprenden la construcción de 360 condominios.

Según el Tribunal Ambiental (institución autónoma del Ministerio de Ambiente y Energía), el desarrollo de esos complejos derivó en montañas arrasadas, árboles muertos, quebradas enterradas por la sedimentación y humedales en peligro.

José Lino Chaves, presidente del Tribunal Ambiental, le indicó ayer a La Nación que las condiciones de esos proyectos fueron inesperadas y muy lamentables.

“Es desagradable el caso del proyecto en Parrita, donde ni siquiera se tenían los permisos de construcción”, comentó Chaves sobre “Hills of Esterillos”, que según el informe del Tribunal, levantó 36 casas cuando tenía autorización solo para 6 y planeaba seguir con 64 más.

Naturaleza en peligro. En detalle, el Tribunal Ambiental señala que en el caso de “Costa Montaña”, pese a que tenía los permisos municipales y ambientales, se dañó la naturaleza por construirse en zonas de protección y en pendientes de más de 60 grados.

Además, en el análisis de la viabilidad ambiental se indicó al Setena que esta era un área de potreros, cuando en realidad se trata de una zona montañosa con bosques secundarios y con mantos acuíferos importantes para el suministro de agua de la población.

Mauricio Mussio, uno de los encargados del residencial “Costa Montaña”, aseguró ayer que pese a tener diferencias con el Tribunal Ambiental sobre si construyeron o no sobre zonas protegidas, ya presentaron un plan de mitigación, con esto esperan que el Ministerio les levante la medida cautelar el próximo lunes.

A 15 minutos de Jacó, en el proyecto “Hermosa Vista”, las autoridades informaron sobre “un destrozo de peores proporciones, donde se arrasó, literalmente, una montaña para preparar las terrazas en las cuales se construirían cerca de 100 condominios”.

Pueden ser más. José Lino Chaves comentó que los tres residenciales clausurados fueron parte de un total de ocho proyectos inspeccionados.

De los cinco restantes, tres (“Costa Sol”, “Cabo Caletas” y “Celestial Mountain Resort”) permanecen en estudio y dos estaban en orden.

El Tribunal ambiental informó que está por cerrar “Costa Sol” donde se soterra un humedal con palma de yolillo en plena zona marítimo-terrestre y a 150 metros del manglar. Cerca de ahí había un basurero clandestino.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

rlungren

Is there an English translation for us poor souls who do not yet speak/read Spanish?

gcengineer

Looks like I’d better be getting my money up front on this one!

Yikes!

Yes – I would also appreciate a clear update on the situation. I am up here in Boston reading all of these posts and then the subsequent news links trying to figure out what is really going on with my property purchase with Costa Montana. I just got this English article sent to me this morning from today’s A.M. Costa Rica online newpaper:

http://www.amcostarica.com/morenews2.htm

How will these shut downs impact the entire project(s) owned by this developer?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.